Color Me Obsessed: A Film About The Replacements (1 Viewer)

I haven't watched it yet (at work). But i read that there is no live footage. How? It makes me wary that it'll be any good. I'd love to hear the testimonials but people who go on and say, "They should have made it." and "Why didn't they make it?" fail to acknowledge that the 'Mats wrecked many of their fine opportunities to have greater success. AND most bands who are able to make a living at music have skill in the playing & writing department but also have pretty good/excellent management... Case in point (regardless of what you think of these cats)- The Stones, The Beatles, the Who, Led Zep, Elvis, U2, REM, Bob Dylan, the Pistols.

Well, to put your mind at ease, it isn't full of people saying, "They should have made it," or people so comically stupid that they don't recognize the obvious and repeated self-defeating actions that the group took. It's full of people who are just as brilliant as you are. So you should really enjoy it.

only watched the first bit so far, but I really liked the opening credit sequence with the credits on ticket stubs. I realize that has nothing to do with the quality of the content in the doc, but it caught my eye.

I was wary of a documentary about a band that doesn't contain any of the band's music (or even any pictures of the band until the closing credits), but I found it compelling enough to watch the whole thing (and it's really long), staying up way past my bed time in the process.

If you've never heard any of the songs they're talking about it may be a bit too abstract, but it's an interesting piece of oral history if you do know the band. From '80 to '84 I saw the Replacements play almost as many times as I saw Hüsker Dü (way too many), and some of my friends are in the movie, so you probably shouldn't take my word for anything.

(Trying to think of something else to add parenthetically, but I can't right now...)

(I'll try later.)

Last edited:
Just watched 10 minutes of this and it looks great. And what the fuck is David Carr of the New York Times doing in this documentary ? Don't tell me, I'm going right back to watch the rest...

I hadn't planned on spending 2 hours 3 minutes and 17 seconds of my day watching people talking about The Replacements on youtube, but I'm glad I did. Good film. Thanks.

Just finished it. Very good stuff. With no music in the film, it really made me want to hear some Replacements immediately.

I've mentioned this before here, but I'll mention it again: the Replacements were one of a handful of bands in the early/mid '80s that changed what I listened to and how I listened to it. A lot of those people in the movie were saying things that I would've said. Except I have better hair, but I don't hold that against them.

I suppose people close to the band often pulled out their own hair in frustration, so it's not surprising that you would be in better shape, follically, than they are now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back