column (1 Viewer)

He started out promising, but a lot of B's prose paints a different picture than what the columnist finds in paragraph 14. Too bad...

not even worth reading all the way through. this guy has fucked up concets.
Germany not claiming Buk? Gee, that must be why his books have sold way more in Germany and Europe than over here in the States.

what a big piece of shit that silly little article is.

"He was an over-saturated, pungent, weed-choked swamp of words" - "...this mumbling ethanol windbag". - What a lot of adjectives!
I think the author of the article is a mumbling weed-choked ethanol windbag using an over-saturated, pungent swamp of words...:D

Hmm. Here's what I come away with; when you use terms like "pomo" too much, you become the very thing that you set out to mock.

Nice excerpt at the end though, to remind you what good writing looks like. ;)

i think there is something wrong with someone who doesnt like nick cave. there is also something wrong with any one that decides they dont like bukowski 0 then says theyve been born again into the working class simple world where everyone walks around spewing drunkn rhetoric - or whatever. i think "they" should take away his library card for a year and see what becomes of him. i mean, jesus christ - what the hell is a "pomo hipster"? - wait - stop! dont tell me. i dont want to know.

paul

i think there is something wrong with someone who doesnt like nick cave.

Hi Paul,
They don't like Nick Cave because they have not listened to Nick Cave! Anyone that listens would have no choice but to love him!

I'm half kidding, but in reality, I am a HUGE Nick Cave fan myself. I have every CD Including the latest and back through the Birthday Party and Boys Next Door (Door Door from 1979).

Clearly this writer dislikes Nick Cave BECAUSE others like him. He is basing his dislike on the reaction of others.

It is the same when people say that they hate Bukowski, but nase that opinion on the movie "Barfly". Kind of tough to weigh 50 years of writing on a screenplay.

To make the jump, I suspect that Bukowski would not have liked Nick Cave, either....

Bill

bill ,

yes - perhaps bukowski wouldnt have liked cave, the bad seeds, et. al.. he didnt like rock - right? thats ok - matter of a very personal taste. he wouldnt have been picking on nick for being "nick cave" - he would simply be saying he wasnt into that style of music. ive been listening to cave and folks since the mid-90s. one of the few people ive really tried to keep up with. he was going to come to minneapolis back in 2001 - but then 2001 happened - if you know what i mean - then he didnt come for quite a few months - but i finally saw him and it was a great show. hell - i even saw randy newman not too long ago here. that was great. but what am i getting at? yes - that guy - the one with the column - not so good at all. and bukowski and nick cave and randy newman are good. right?

paul

Post Modern / Post Modernism / Post Modernist et c.

I had to google it...( but I have an excuse. English is'nt my first language :D)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha-ha, Ninjerk. I wasn't hinting at you or anybody. I did'nt know it either. I was just covering my ass (though it would take a lot to cover it)...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
bill ,

yes - perhaps bukowski wouldnt have liked cave, the bad seeds, et. al.. he didnt like rock - right? thats ok - matter of a very personal taste. he wouldnt have been picking on nick for being "nick cave" - he would simply be saying he wasnt into that style of music. ive been listening to cave and folks since the mid-90s. one of the few people ive really tried to keep up with. he was going to come to minneapolis back in 2001 - but then 2001 happened - if you know what i mean - then he didnt come for quite a few months - but i finally saw him and it was a great show. hell - i even saw randy newman not too long ago here. that was great. but what am i getting at? yes - that guy - the one with the column - not so good at all. and bukowski and nick cave and randy newman are good. right?

paul

Hi,
Yes, I saw Nick on that tour also, and yes, it was postponed. I believe that Nick was set to play in earlu Oct 2001 and after 9-11, he postponed the tour. It was still well worth it. Plus, you got to see him when Blixa was still with the band.

As far as Buk liking/disliking Nick Cave, it is not really an issue. Some of my best friends can't stand Nick Cave (or Bukowski for that matter).

All best,
Bill

yes, bill ,

right, i mean nothing really matters too much. unless we want it to. i am listening to sibelius now. five inches of snow outside my window, on the ledge. i look out at the snowy windows of the building next to mine. it is 12:15 am.. i meant in the earlier post to say that ive been listening to nick since the mid-80s (id said 90s). now i feel kind of foolish in correcting that lapse. so be it. we all need to love something. appreciate something. the snow outside the window after midnight. i didnt realize blixa has left nick. has he? that is sad. but EN are great in their own right and i have seen them twice. nothing lasts forever. and everything falls into pieces.

paul

Hi Paul,
Yes, I heard that Blixa left. I am not 100% sure, but that is what I heard. I have been listening to Nick since about September 1990. That was when I received the promo for "The Good Son" and was hooked. I have seen Nick twice and EN once.

You have snow? Where are you? We had a very warm winter in Delaware. Only about 1" of snow all year. Very sad. I wanted to get to build a snowman with the kids.

All best,
Bill

Mr Cave lives in my home town of Brighton & Hove. You aren't a local unless you've seen him moving through the shadows to return his overdue video's (he never gets a fine, ahh fame and its perks). He can also be seen at the local 'Brunswick square festival' playing football/soccer (dependent on whether you're European or American).
I just wanted to boast that I live within spitting distance of him, and yes I too like him. Saw him at the opening night of his last tour on Hastings pier (a strange Victorian construction) but he was more impressive at Glastonbury in 1997 (the year of the sinking stage).
One last point, wasn't he great in his cameo role in Wim Wenders 'Wings of Desire'?:rolleyes:

Perhaps a equally useless question is what the heck does Post modern mean?
what is a post modernist poem or for that matter a post modernist snowman?
(gotta tie the thread togeher)
Perhaps Buk was a neo post modernist revisionist poet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back