Come on In! (1 Viewer)

I was just reading this customer review on Amazon and I thought it would raise some eyebrows here.

By Robert P. Beveridge "xterminal"
Charles Bukowski, Come on In!: New Poems (Ecco, 2006)

The more of Buk's posthumous poetry I read, the more I wonder why anyone buys it. I've long held the hypothesis that he published the best bits while he was still alive (and really, let's face it, Bukowski's pinnacle as a poet came during the sixties and early seventies, after which he spent more time working on, and improving, his prose style), and what was left over was meant solely as a moneymaking scheme; he did, after all, realize that he'd reached that critical mass where the fans would buy anything. He could write something about watching the cat walk across the room, chop it up into one or two-word lines, and people would buy it. Or, for that matter, he could write about writing.

"almost ever since I began writing
decades ago
I have been dogged by
whisperers and gossips
who have proclaimed
daily
weekly
yearly
that
I can't write anymore
that now
I slip
and
fall."
("I have continued regardless")

Every artist runs the risk of becoming a self-parody; it seems that the more influential the artist, the greater the risk, or maybe that's just because we have so many examples of bad imitation of that artist. This is a perfect example of a bad Bukowski imitator...except that it's the man himself.

That said, there are still flashes of brilliance every once in a while, and no matter what else you can say about the guy, one thing Bukowski's poems have always had is the kind of readability that few other poets possess; yeah, readability is nothing in and of itself most of the time (I'm resisting the urge here to call Buk the Dan Brown of poetry), but in a genre as legendarily obtuse as poetry, however undeserved the tag may be, one has to grudgingly admit that readability for its own sake must carry at least some cache. If it gets more people reading poetry, it's got to be worthwhile on some level. ***

http://www.amazon.com/review/RMOHHFWND2O4T/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#RMOHHFWND2O4T

The problem with the idea that all of the good stuff was published before his death is, as stated in this forum several times before, Bukowski and John Martin set stuff aside for after his death.

"Set aside" is not exactly true. "Left over" is more like it. Nothing was specifically held back or set aside. I'm not sure where that idea came from, but a lot of people believe it.

"Dear John, Here is a batch of poems that I think are great! Please don't publish them while I'm alive."

That doesn't really make sense, does it.

If anything was "set aside" it was poems Martin didn't think were good enough to publish while Bukowski was alive, or things that he didn't know about. That and the general backlog that they always had, as Bukowski wrote more than BSP could reasonably publish (and sell).

If anything was "set aside" it was poems Martin didn't think were good enough to publish while Bukowski was alive, or things that he didn't know about.

Well, then the Amazon reviewer is right in saying "I've long held the hypothesis that he published the best bits while he was still alive...".

and really, let's face it, Bukowski's pinnacle as a poet came during the sixties and early seventies, after which he spent more time working on, and improving, his prose style

That's not true. He wrote great poems in the 80's and 90's too. Of course, the "Come On In" collection the guy is reviewing, is one of the weaker posthumous collections (I.M.O.). I hope the guy does'nt think all the posthumous are like "Come On In", but it almost seems so.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the fiction, there were stories that were too raw for John Martin's tastes, quality aside, and didn't get published by Black Sparrow, which is how (supposedly) the City Lights short story collections ERECTIONS... and NOTES OF A DIRTY OLD MAN came to be. As for the poetry, I don't think Martin's judgment was always flawless. He passed on poems that seem first rate to me. But no doubt the best stuff was generally published while Bukowski was alive and the rest was saved for the posthumous collections.

The problem with the idea that all of the good stuff was published before his death is, as stated in this forum several times before, Bukowski and John Martin set stuff aside for after his death.

All of my knowledge is from this forum and Uncle Howie so I must have read a few comments from before we got the sarcasm font.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back