completion and publishing of 'post office' as requested (1 Viewer)

Bukowski famously wrote and finished his first novel P.O in a month, does anyone know wether the original draft was also the ultimate and final version that we have today or were there subsequent rewrites or any edits after BSP first received it?

On page 1 of Women, Buk indicates that he finished Post Office in 21 nights. In an inscribed copy of P.O., he indicates 20 nights. Just an FYI. I have a photo of that inscription, but since the book is not mine, I'd prefer to let the owner make that decision.

As to your question, there may have been some typo cleanups, but I am not aware of any rewrites. The first edition of Women is notorious for having been edited watered-down significantly by Martin much to Buk's chagrin. He let Martin have it in a letter that is collected in one of the three primary letters volumes from BSP and the text was revised back to Buk's original for subsequent printings. One of the very few cases where you could refer to one of Buk's BSP books as a second edition (although I don't believe that it is referred to that way in the second printing - there was a thread about this a few years back). Now, it's possible that Buk wasn't paying as close attention to P.O. as he did to Women, but I doubt that; if anything, he would have looked over his first novel quite closely.

Maybe some other folks here with more knowledge than I will have more to add.

Interesting stuff! obviously writing a novel can be an arduous task in itself let alone in twenty days so i was curious to find out more about this inpressive literary feat also wether it being his first attempt at a novel wether he Got it right first time round with the initial draft and was something of a virtuoso or wether martin had him further develop it. I guess buks legendary work ethic and output over the years and writing experience prepared him some what to get stuck right in. thanks for your informatice response on the matter.

[...] the ultimate and final version [...]
there's something that doesn't proof, but indicate, that he didn't revise his first version of 'PO': at several occations he complains about the fact that it took over a year for the book to get published after being written. That would mean, he considered the version he delivered in the first place to be the final.

In a letter to Neeli Cherry on September 1, 1970 he indicates that he did quite a bit of editing himself:
"Wrote the novel in 20 days. 120,000 words, 30,000 of which I pulled out on the re-reading."
(collected in Living on Luck)

The final book is nowhere close to 90,000 words, though. Either he was being generous in his estimate of the original length or someone did a lot more editing - both of which are very plausible.

The final book is nowhere close to 90,000 words, though. Either he was being generous in his estimate of the original length or someone did a lot more editing - both of which are very plausible.

At almost 43,000 words I'd say he was most likely just being very generous in his estimate.

I think she means which letters collection. Here.

Thank you bospress and hank solo for pointing out the obvious, but I was indeed asking about the unnamed publication that mjp picked up on. I will try to make myself more clear in the future.:wb:

Thank you mjp for the helpful ( if somewhat condescending) link. :)

"Wrote the novel in 20 days. 120,000 words, 30,000 of which I pulled out on the re-reading."
(collected in Living on Luck)
That's beyond generous or overstatement. It would seem to be solidly in utter bullshit territory.

Not saying 120k words in 20 days is impossible. It isn't. That comes out to roughly 25 typewritten pages a day. But even though it's possible, 6,000 words would be a good day's work, for sure, and pretty hard for anyone to maintain that kind of pace for three straight weeks uninterrupted.

It's a reasonable assumption though that he ditched a quarter of the pages (in keeping with his claimed numbers), which would make the initial draft closer to 60,000 words - or half of what he claimed to Neeli.

I don't know it for a fact, but at that time in their working relationship I don't imagine that Martin would be doing a lot of wholesale chopping of text. But who knows. I'm sure a few versions of the manuscript are in a university library somewhere. Santa Barbara or USC.

Post Office was heavily edited and it took B. over 40 days to complete it:
post office p.62.jpg

Lilly Library at Indiana University has an original manuscript of "Post Office". The fact that the actual disciplinary letters from the LA post office are included makes it most unique and fascinating and likely "the original" manuscript.

Post Office was heavily edited and it took B. over 40 days to complete it
Aaah!
The master-scholar is back!
Thanks, cire, for making this clear. What manuscript is that page from? Where is it located? Do you have the whole thing in copies?

pLop:
that makes a very impressive first post!
welcome baby!

What manuscript is that page from? Where is it located? Do you have the whole thing in copies?

I'm more of a lurker now, which is nice.

I think there are several P.O. manuscripts scattered in 2-3 libraries. I never copied the complete mss, just a few pages.

P.O. was begun the first week of January and it was completed the second week of February, if I'm not mistaken.
And, oh, in case you want to dispell yet another myth: Martin knew B. was working on P.O. way before it was finished.

40 days? Shit, I heard you can write a quality book in only 100 hours...

Bestseller Bootcamp: Write Your Book in 100 Hours, starting May 8th

Last week, my friend Dave Logan"”a #1 New York Times bestselling author"”told me that my writing coaching had helped him so much, he didn't understand why I wasn't teaching "The Red Room Method" to the whole community. So for the first time, I will.

If you have a book you desperately want to write or can't seem to finish, you've got to join me, from wherever you are in the world, for Bestseller Bootcamp: Write Your Book in 100 Hours, at 5:00PM-6:30PM, on May 8, 9, and 10.

It's a conference call so all you need is a phone, and there's a huge discount if you sign up on or before May 4, 2012.

Most people "feel" they've been working on their book for years, or they're stuck at the beginning, believing it will take years. It doesn't have to be that way. The reality is that you can write a quality book in 100 hours. I've personally helped hundreds of writers do it.

By dividing your book project into separate, sequential stages of writing, editing, and marketing, and navigating the pitfalls and shortcuts unique to each, you will make serious progress on your book during the three-day workshop. The "Red Room Method" will give you the tools and inspiration to finish your book now.

Here's just one shortcut developed in the Red Room that you won't hear anywhere else: "Research later, not first. As you're writing, note in brackets what you need to check on and get back to it when you're done with the entire book. You already know enough about your topic to write the whole book, which is really about you anyway, not the external sources, surface topic, or setting."

Red Room's marketing perspective: "You can't make everyone at a cocktail party want to marry you or be your best friend, and you wouldn't want to. Similarly, you don't need to convince everyone in the world to love your book. Your natural tribe won't just like your book, they will love your book. Just write for them, and market just to them. Don't waste your resources on casting a wider net. If your tribe turns out to be only one in a thousand, that would be seven million people."

5:00PM - 6:30PM PDT (San Francisco time), Tuesday, May 8, Wednesday, May 9, and Thursday, May 10, 2012.
You only need a phone or Skype to call in"”this workshop is a conference call. You can ask questions, and if you miss any of the three sessions, we will record them and you can listen later.
$199"”EARLY BIRD PRICE IF YOU SIGN UP ON OR BEFORE MAY 4
$299"”REGULAR PRICE IF YOU SIGN UP AFTER MAY 4

THE FIRST TEN PEOPLE TO SIGN UP WILL GET A PRIVATE 5-MINUTE COACHING CALL WITH ME THIS WEEK. This will help me tailor the seminar to meet your personal needs. And you'll get a free gift from Dave on "igniting your innovation."

Take a concrete step toward making your book a reality. Think you can't write a bestseller? I think you can.

Sincerely,
Ivory Madison
CEO and Editor in Chief, Red Room

Last edited:
There's a 72-hour book writing contest. Been going on (it says) since 1977. I tried, back when I thought I could try those sorts of things, to do it. Must have been over twenty years ago. Got 12 pages done as I remember. Old yellow paper, manual typewriter. Something in me snapped and I stopped.

Glad I've got all those writing aspirations whipped out of me now. (And I've got the scars to prove it.) Saw a story in one of the local newspapers about it last year and I just shuddered.

Purple stickpin you mentioned martin watering down buks work and buk nót being happy about it- i have just read a short called ten jack-offs and near the end buk writes "writing this down by myself, leaving a few things out (i have been threatened by various powerful forces for doing things that are only normal and Gaga gladful to do)" do you think think this is a reference to john martin censoring buk? If not does anyone know what the powerful forces he refers to are? I found this short story in a virgin books print of The most Beautiful woman in town, if this helps identity the story i refers to.

(i have been threatened by various powerful forces for doing things that are only normal and Gaga gladful to do)" do you think think this is a reference to john martin censoring buk?
I don't think being "threatened by...powerful forces" would refer to Martin. Martin declined to publish some of Bukowski's more raw prose, and that's why things like ten jack-offs are in City Lights books and not Black Sparrow books, even though Bukowski had an "exclusive" publishing deal with Black Sparrow.

As far as Martin "watering down" Bukowski's work, that happened to the poetry after Bukowski was conveniently dead and wasn't around to complain about it.

I had initially mentioned the watering down in the context of Women - that's the only case I know of where it happened while Buk was still alive (well, happened to the extent that Buk did something about it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back