• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

CRUCIFIX IN A DEATHHAND, you be the judge. (1 Viewer)

The edges of the spine are worn with little tears in them. The front cover is separated from the spine, from the bottom of the spine to its midpoint. The spine has started to separate from the pages. Other than those issues, there is nothing else wrong with the book.

Oh, that's all?

It's actually listed as "very good" condition, which it certainly is not. It might barely be "good," since good isn't really "good" (source: Collecting Bukowski.com), but the inside appears rather clean.

i actually have a crucifix in a deathhand i got off ebay that was listed in excellent condition and it looks like it was ran over by a truck and used as a plate at a buffet.... sometimes they look even better in pictures...lessons learned

"Very Good" in book seller terms means "Nearly Shitty". "Good" means "Truly Shitty". Then "Very Fine", means "Very Good".

Confused?

I am and I just wrote this.

I have seen worse books. Still, it is not worth $400. That being said, expect someone to snipe it for $400 in the last 5 seconds.

Bill

from seller:

Again, it's my Dad's book. I'm just doing him a favor. I'm not a professional seller, I'm not a collector, and I'm not a book expert. My thinking was that because the inside of the book is in perfect condition it would make the overall condition of the book "good." Apparently, the condition of the cover is more important than I thought it was. Thanks for the information. I will process it, and use it in determining the starting price of future listings.

Sounds fair enough. He just isn't acquainted with the lingo. I think if he were intentionally trying to deceive anyone he probably wouldn't have put as many pictures as he did. But 400 bones is still pretty steep for that condition.

Although the interior may be fine, a cracked spine = fair (fair = lousy, unfortunately), and if you combine the two, it's still probably fair to good at best. I'm no seller, and mixing bad and good features always complicates a listing. Bottom line to me is that the worst portion of the book confers the majority of the overall listing.

Then again, there is the stn factor, so hang in there.

Hello, All! I finally registered for this site. (It took me long enough.) I'm the person who's been selling all of my Bukowski stuff on eBay of late. There's very little of it left. The one thing I do have is a copy of Crucifix in unread/Fine condition. It's the one book I haven't had the heart to part with.

If you can get this book in perfect condition, do it. Spend the money. I really need the money I could make by selling it, but it's such a beautiful publication that I just can't. So if you can hold out for one that's in good shape, do it. You'll thank me later.

I don't know man.
Obviously you haven't read a few important principles on this forum.
If there are any principles...

Hello, All! I finally registered for this site. (It took me long enough.) I'm the person who's been selling all of my Bukowski stuff on eBay of late. There's very little of it left. The one thing I do have is a copy of Crucifix in unread/Fine condition. It's the one book I haven't had the heart to part with.

If you can get this book in perfect condition, do it. Spend the money. I really need the money I could make by selling it, but it's such a beautiful publication that I just can't. So if you can hold out for one that's in good shape, do it. You'll thank me later.

glad you finally joined up here... let us know when you put up any more auctions, if you have anything left you do plan on selling!

Hi cinelliblack,
I bought your Bukowski book "You Get So Alone..."
thank you, glad you found your way to this site.
I should hold the book in my hands very soon, it had to make a stop along the way. Welcome to the forum.

I'd say it's fair (and I now have a part time job cataloging rare books for a bookstore, so I guess that makes me almost an expert). I just did a pair of vintage pulp paperbacks that were in slightly better condition, and they were "good" at best. The fact that it's nice inside is a plus but doesn't pull it up to "very good" unfortunately. You (the seller) can amend your listing to change the condition -- that might result in a more satisfied buyer if it sells. Buyers hate to be surprised by how bad an item really is. It's always best to be ultra conservative in grading books.

I've been here for awhile as a lurker. I'm glad you are happy with the book (which you have yet to see). Don't forget to leave me some feedback.

Jordan, I've got very little left. There are some paperbacks up now. After they're sold, there will be a big hole in the bookcase. I still have my copy of Crucifix, a few City Lights paperbacks and some photos. But that's it.

I hope no one thought I was trying to disrespect the seller of the copy of Crucifix on eBay right now. I'm not. It's such a stunning publication that it's worth it to get as good a copy of it as you can.

in THIS condition, i even find 200,- USD a little much.
i bought mine at 250,- USD and it has none of these fallouts.
for one in This state of diverge, i'd say not more than maybe 150,- USD is reasonable, esp since it isn't a too hard to find book.

$150 is about right but it might go for $200. A weird thing about eBay is that sometimes rare books with serious flaws are bid up to the value of a fine copy. People get excited and feel like they have to have it. If they were patient, they'd find a nice copy at what they pay for a damaged one.

Roni is right. There is really no reason to buy this book in anything other than excellent condition. There are just so many of them out there, and the price has remained so low that you don't save enough money buying a fucked up copy to justify it.

And I say that as someone who happily buys fucked up copies of rare, expensive books when they are cheap enough. But this title doesn't fall into that category.

Roni is right. There is really no reason to buy this book in anything other than excellent condition[...]

... and i bought mine while the $ was higher - plus i had to take shipping and customs/toll/duty (- what's the word ? )

still it was worth the price way more than THAT one ...

I spent a little extra on my copy and... I'm glad I did. Great shape, belly band in tact, and a mysterious second signature as well.

Crucifix was bid on in the last minutes. I noticed there were no bids up to 26 minutes before the auction ended, but then somebody went for the starting price at $200...

Yeah, I noticed it with less than 3 minutes left and no one had bid. Someone jumped in during the last minute. I don't think it's really a bad price, depending on how picky you are with condition.

well I'm glad he at least got a nice little chunk of change for that thing. I would've paid that for it if I had the dough. thats the closest I would get to anything that resembles It Catches My Heart In Its Hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back