Damn you, Bukowski!!

Now I've a new obsession. New to Bukowski but know I'm going to be hooked. Reading through his novels 1st, then will go the short story route with his poems soon to follow. Been there before with Dostoevsky and Gogol, no half-assed effort, will have to read EVERYTHING! Bukowski is the most 'naked' writer i've ever read. Hello to all on this forum, by the way.
p.s. apologize before hand for any forthcoming newbie questions/comments.
p.p.s. this site owes me a drink for the ill-fortune i endured at work recently when i chanted ' everybody gota die someday' affixed to any co-worker comment - i'm probably on file now as marginal.

Thanks, Bill. Ham on Rye is my fave so far but still have Hollywood and Pulp to go (reading 'em in the order written).

Thanks, OldDad73. Agree, don't join forums much but this one suits me just fine.

Jimmy Snerp - Gogol jabbed a devilish finger in the guts of all things absurd with humanity (especially bureaucrats). And the more he jabbed, the harder they laughed. Recommend his later stuff - he really found his voice mid-career. With Dostoevsky, I'm not sure what to say with a brief comment. My favorite author and I'm even trying to learn Russian in order to read his stuff (not going so well, i might add).

welcome baby.
I agree with you on 'Ham on Rye' and I have done 'Hollywood' and 'Pulp' already. (which are great too!)

Thanks, roni, for the welcome - really enjoy your posts. zenguru - thanks, too, for the welcome. Did enjoy "Women." "Women" threw me for a loop, though. I thought it was going to be about the thrills and spills of whoring about, but Bukowski turns it in to a morality play - settle down with a good one, get domesticated, feed the cat. A 'Pilgrim's Progress' for the free lovers. I'm quickly learning there's more to this motherfucker than meets the eye. Sorry mods for the language.

Sorry mods for the language.

yeah, one thing that does not offend on this forum is language. Speaking as a NON-moderator, nothing pisses me off more than seeing this:

Bull S***.

That offends me more than anything else.

If we were offended by the word "motherfucker" we would have a hard time reading Bukowski.

The only time that "foul" language seems to be a problem is when it is abusive to another member. Otherwise, it seems to be all good....

Bill

yeah, one thing that does not offend on this forum is language. Speaking as a NON-moderator, nothing pisses me off more than seeing this:
Bull S***.
That offends me more than anything else.
If we were offended by the word "motherfucker" we would have a hard time reading Bukowski.
The only time that "foul" language seems to be a problem is when it is abusive to another member. Otherwise, it seems to be all good....
I'm already guilty of that with s***. I write like i speak. I was booted from one other forum for my choice of words so I'm a bit phobic. Like it here and don't want to f..., mess it up here.

Thanks, roni, for the welcome - really enjoy your posts. zenguru - thanks, too, for the welcome. Did enjoy "Women." "Women" threw me for a loop, though. I thought it was going to be about the thrills and spills of whoring about, but Bukowski turns it in to a morality play - settle down with a good one, get domesticated, feed the cat. A 'Pilgrim's Progress' for the free lovers. I'm quickly learning there's more to this motherfucker than meets the eye. Sorry mods for the language.

The thing that surprised me about "Women" is that it disgusted me as much as it impressed me. There's moments of true poetry in it. And there's just as many moments of true ugliness.

That's a great book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back