In the never-ending quest to appease the Gods (a.k.a. Google), I have made some changes to the database code to add the poem, book, magazine, recording, etc. titles to the URLs on the results pages.
To get that to work I had to update the code in pretty much every file that the database uses, and I think I've tested all the options, but if you notice something that doesn't seem to be working as you'd expect in the database, please let me know.
I thought that I'd run some checks and got over to the Wormwood site here (database/lists/Wormwood Review Appearances). The first poem listed there is Thank God for Alleys. If I click the link, I am brought to the page that lists books, magazines, manuscripts, etc. All of those headers are present, but they are not populated (everything is grayed out). Conversely, if I search for the same poem at the main database search page, I get the a hit and when I click that link, I get to the same page, but it is populated with book and magazine appearances that are links to further info.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm assuming that searching through Wormwood should bring up the same info that comes up from the main search page. I also tried this for the NYQ and I found the same issue, so perhaps the links through the individual magazines (and/or other routes) aren't connected somehow. I tried the "Books" link and that seemed to work OK.
I changed the database search result page to not show items that don't exist. Previously the results page listed every possible result, whether that item was available for the work or not (recordings, broadsides, forum items, etc. - those lines would be there, but they would just be blank if there was nothing available). Now it only returns what it has a link for.
That last link is to a poem, by the way, but above the poem is a review (sort of) of Bukowski's first readings at The Bridge in Los Angeles, and it was written by John Thomas who says he taped both nights.
Everything I've read said he had about a million tapes in his house though, so it's unlikely those will ever be found. If they were even saved.
Actually, since it first appeared in Poetry Now, Vol. 2, No. 2, it probably should be circa 1975. But I know well that the management here appreciates watchful eyes on the database. The idea of getting it perfect seems impossible, but that would seem to be the goal.
For a while I was adding "circa" dates based on the collection publication date (when there wasn't an earlier magazine appearance to date a work by). That's why you might see that kind of error here and there. It happened when magazine appearance info was added later and I neglected to update the "written" date.
I'll fix this one, but otherwise the database is perfect!
Or it gets more perfect all the time. Depends on how you want to look at it.
I love the teamwork here. Purple Stickpin: great catch. I should have noticed that.
When I said "wading," I really meant "immersing." Or maybe "spelunking," as I do enjoy rappelling down deep into its caverns. I could spend days, weeks, prob years, in the database. Like it's the Matrix.
The database, and this site, is an amazing achievement. I appreciate it very much. Thanks, mjp, and everyone else who assists in maintaining its awesomeness.
With that said, I made an upward swing from Piano to Septuagenarian Stew (1990).
The Burning Of The Dream - pg. 42 - manuscript - circa 1991-1994
Talk - pg. 92 - manuscript - circa 1991-1994
Rags, Bottles, Sacks - pg. 13 - manuscript - circa 1983-1994
I put that wide date range on "rags, bottles, sacks" because I didn't have a date, and I thought it could have been typed on a manual typewriter. But now that I look at it, I think it was done on the computer. I haven't yet seen any other computer poems that used a courier font (or whatever it's called on a Mac).
Don't apologize for improving the database, hombre.
"Rags" had to be written before 1990, yes. That's why I took the date off the results page.
I don't know what to make of that "rags" manuscript though. It doesn't match anything from 1983-1990, when he was using the IBM Selectric. It still looks like computer to me (the underscore on those few lines looks a little too smooth and perfect to be a manual). That and there's no match for the typeface in any other manuscripts. I'll have to look and see if I have a better image of that one from Santa Barbara of the Huntington that just isn't on the site yet.
He re-typed older poems a couple of times, for what purpose I don't know. But I've seen two that I can think of. I'm wondering if he didn't re-type "rags" on the computer for some reason, even though it was old(er).
Good to know. I didn't want to be a pain, still.......my last 2 db observations for a while:
--The Sept Stew poem list has some titles in italics. I'm assuming not intentional.
--Prob my laptop settings, but when I click on any jpg links in the Timeline, nothing happens...well, except for the concentric "thinking" circles appearing, then the screen image goes kind of faded, but no jpg image appears.
If I right click on the link, I can "open in new window" and see the image I don't have another computer handy to check if it's indeed my system settings.
Most of why the DB is so good is mjp's tireless devotion to it. But without our input and some cross-checking by him to verify our musings, it wouldn't benefit from the variety of input and thus be of the scope it has now reached. Which is more or less a wind-bag way of saying "all input welcome."