Database updated (2 Viewers)

So, thrill time,FROM MANUSCRIPTS1979 was turned into AN ANCIENT LOVE,
with only 4 or 7 changes and put into The People Look Like Flowers AT LAST.

Oh, and I fixed these. You know, four months after you gave me the info.

Unlike the dental appointment I forgot this morning these are not time sensitive. (Rebook: Tuesday 11:15 a.m. I better remember this one!)

Another item:

The only hard copy of NYQ that I have is Summer 1973/number 15. (Everything else is photocopies from the SFU library.) The database lists the poem Laugh Library. No doubt based on the NYQ page for that number 15 issue. Actually the poem is Laugh Literary, same as the one in Burning in Water.

As far as I know there is no poem titled "Laugh Library", at least not in NYQ.

Been reading all of 1979 Manuscripts today.The amount of editing is very hard to believe and even harder to understand...anyway FYI.
THE ANSWER( from manuscript 1979)' Tag of reference' says also published in Mocking Bird,
which has a totally different poem with the same title.
Or maybe it was just a more than normal editing day.Bloppity Blop

Right again. That manuscript is in Open All Night as the reply.

Because, of course, a manuscript titled "the answer" should be retitled as "the reply." It only makes sense.

Fixed.

Added 15 manuscripts for 1981. All pre-1982 manuscripts that I have are on the site now.

Only one uncollected poem in the new batch, Two Ton. Though he wrote about "Two Ton Tony" in other poems, and the Wormwood book Beauti-ful mentions his death in the "Patrons" section; "In Memoriam: Two-Ton Tony Galento."

pretty sure that 'ah' from 1980 is uncollected, even though there
are 3 collected poems with that title. on the other hand 'those' from
1978 was - more or less - collected as 'without stress or agony' in
slouching toward nirvana.

pretty sure that 'ah' from 1980 is uncollected, even though there
are 3 collected poems with that title.
Ah - or any title he repeated a lot - is a bitch to get right in the database for obvious reasons. But the ah in the manuscripts is collected. A Martinized version is in Open All Night as the way it is now. Will fix that in the database.
on the other hand 'those' from 1978 was - more or less - collected as 'without stress or agony' in slouching toward nirvana.
Thanks. Though it pains me to read the bastardized version. As usual.

you're right.

also 'broken ass like a cherry seed...' from 1975
was - again with a few changes, even though
there's so few lines in the poem - collected in
what matters most as 'like a cherry seed in the
throat'.

'cap' was collected as 'his cap' in the night torn mad...

"and since I had had several drinks
I wasn't adamant to speak"
is changed to
"and since it was such a pleasant evening
I wasn't afraid to speak"
ha! also the funny part about Miller is gone.

'now here see me' was collected as 'now see here' in sifting through the madness...
'action off the board' as 'old man with a cane' in open all night
'suitable' as 'quotable' in bone palace ballet
and 'the announcer' as 'KFAC' also in the night torn mad...

'the writer' is not the same poem as the one in last night of the earth poems
but is, as far as I can tell, uncollected.

The writer is fixed. I'll fix the others later today.

Thanks for the corrections and alternate titles!

'now here see me' was collected as 'now see here' in sifting through the madness...
'action off the board' as 'old man with a cane' in open all night
'suitable' as 'quotable' in bone palace ballet
and 'the announcer' as 'KFAC' also in the night torn mad...
Do I need to say "ugh" after comparing these? Ugh.
also, don't know if you're aware, but 'letter to a friend...' is not the complete poem, it is only the first page of a longer poem.
I'll have to see if I have the rest somewhere. Thanks.

Relentless as the Tarantula:
'a drive through hell' was collected as 'drive through hell' in you get so alone...
and though I like your titel 'for the cornered' is actually called 'for the concerned' and is also collected in you get so alone...
'exactly fine' was collected as 'exactly right' in the night torn mad...

that was fast...

also, in wormwood review no. 53 there's a poem called '200 years'. this was later collected in come on in!
for some reason this poem and about 7 others are not in the entry for that book.

great!

small note: the entry for open all night has the next-to last poem as 'don't come around...' instead of (the correct one) 'don't sit under the apple tree', so I doesn't link to the manuscript. (don't compare them, you'll all be sorry!)

Fixed.

And it's too late to avoid being sorry for comparing the posthumous collections to the manuscripts.

Apropos of my previous post, I have made a change to the page that displays the contents of a book. It has always noted if a manuscript was available for a given title, but now it also notes if the available manuscript differs from the collected version of the poem.

That flag has not been applied to all the collected titles as they relate to manuscripts yet, but I'm working on it (at this moment, manuscripts up through 1977 have been checked).

You will also see the same "manuscript differs from collected version" notation in the search results.

when has the database been updated?
'Robinson Jeffers and Love' from 1972.
that's a new one, right?

oh, I meant in the manuscript section...

They are. The Jeffers manuscript is #869, the latest one I added is #997. That means Jeffers has been in there for some time.

I thought it was him, in an alternate universe or something. I just liked that the poem shot the poet through the head with a Luger, then threw his typewriter into the ocean ("there goes the inheritance"). It's absurd, and I like those.

I thought it was a fictional Chinaski poem too, but then I wondered. Is there any hint of Steve Richmond in there? He lived near the sea right? Had some sort of inheritance? Okay, I don't know anything about him. Anyone else?

I assumed it was Richmond - lived in near the ocean, had an inheritance, shacked up with a steady stream of women, wrote a lot of poems about a limited subject matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back