Date of Huntington exhibition set (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
Charles Bukowski: Poet on the Edge
Oct. 9, 2010-Feb. 14, 2011

The exhibition will include corrected typescripts of Bukowski's poems and such novels as his autobiographical work, Ham on Rye (1982), and his screenplay Barfly... There also will be early periodicals containing his poetry and rare special editions of his writings published by John Martin, as well as memorabilia and photographs of Bukowski. The exhibition will include items on loan from Linda Lee Bukowski as well as material from the Huntington's Bukowski papers, donated by Mrs. Bukowski.

http://www.huntington.org/huntingtonlibrary_02.aspx?id=5138&linkidentifier=id&itemid=5138

Last edited:
is there gonna be a big event or reception on a certain night? i didn't find anything on the web site. i may try to make it out...

OH MAN! I've been waiting for this one! YAY! YAY! I remember reading an article about this, and it seems like that was years ago. Why did it take so long?

I guess that the items on loan will eventually become part of the collection, but you won't be able to see them unless you're a "reader" (researcher), so this is a good chance to see part of the Bukowski collection at The Huntington even if you're not a reader.

...and I will get to meet my Dutch nephew.

That article had a better description of Bukowski's work,than most.

Los Angeles writer Charles Bukowski (1920-1994) was one of the most original voices in 20th-century American literature. In his poetry and prose, Bukowski used experience, emotion, and imagination, along with violent and sexual imagery, to capture life at its most raw and elemental. With unflinching honesty, he spoke for the social outcasts"”the drunks, prostitutes, addicts, lay-abouts, and petty criminals"”as well as those who are simply worn down by life. The exhibition will include corrected typescripts of Bukowski's poems and such novels as his autobiographical work, Ham on Rye (1982),

Well, I liked it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely planning to attend this. Recently traveled 2169 miles to watch dull caged animals do dull caged animal stuff so my girlfriend owes me. She can't stand Buk so this will be an overdue test of our stress-strain curve - eHarmony here I come. That rude sot elbowing you away from your reverie will probably be me so apologies in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back