did I write that? (1 Viewer)

so... I used to drink. A lot. And I have a couple of pretty decent things that I know I typed on my old IBM Selectric. Trouble is, I don't recall writing them. Did I write these pieces and was too soused to recall? Or see them elsewhere and decide to copy them for further reference? Damn, I just don't know. Can't very well publish pieces that I ain't sure I wrote. My evil twin says if they are the only two decent pieces in the collection, probably I didn't write em. Fuck that bitch. WWBD?

I'll just add that if you are using a typewriter as a copier, you should be seeking help, not representation.

On a less hilarious note, I don't think it's a tremendously odd or uncommon occurrence to forget writing something.

Or the pizza guy you called when you drank-a lot-who is a very talented writer found the Selectric-how would you know you were drunk?? So my advice is not to publish them since they are not yours-treat them like the unpublished gems they are-until the next medium double pepperoni and feta.

Go to "Google Books Advanced Search" and search "must contained the exact phrase" (or whatever it says") for lines that are probably unique phrases, such as "My bad-assed dog bit the crippled butcher on the nose", not common lines like "your hair smells good." If it's been commercially published, it'll likely turn up. Stuff in small press pubs are not all scanned by Google but damned near every commercially published book has been.

Go to "Google Books Advanced Search"...
it's like Kinky Freidman once told me: You've got to find what you love and let it kill you.

Like my daddy said, 'You've got to find what you love and let it kill you.'"

"Like the man said," I said, '"You've got to find what you love and let it kill you.'"

Mystery solved. It was Kinky Friedman, the man, and someone's daddy.

Go to "Google Books Advanced Search" and search "must contained the exact phrase" (or whatever it says") for lines that are probably unique phrases, such as "My bad-assed dog bit the crippled butcher on the nose", not common lines like "your hair smells good." If it's been commercially published, it'll likely turn up. Stuff in small press pubs are not all scanned by Google but damned near every commercially published book has been.

Brilliant. No matches found using several key phrases. One is "silken cords of principle that bound us to the earth" but that's all I'm giving away.

That's actually from The Prophet, clearly reworked. Legit passage reads: "Her silky public brocades bound ethereally to my briney juices by dint of the great clot of earth moving beneath my veiny scepter". Case fuckin' closed.

Google Books Advanced Search is a very useful tool that Google, in all their wisdom, does their best to hide these days. They'd rather you searched all of the web, including books they've scanned, than just books they've scanned. Go figger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back