Don't Try!! (1 Viewer)

Father Luke's photo post #42 MJP in the black shirt.. Mullinax in baby blue shirt goin' down.
Oh no, you won't find a more courteous driver than me. Want to get in front of me at the last second in a terrifyingly dangerous and incredibly selfish move? Be my guest. I will be glad to slow down and let you in. Yes, please do flip me off at the same time. Thanks! Have a nice day!

Life is way too short to get wound up over driving. And people get wound up here, as I'm sure they do in every big city.

Fear? I'm afraid no one understood my little inference. I was trying to compare the debate they-Mull. and MJP- were having to the photo. Based on my opinion MJP has the upper hand or fist, like in the photo. This is way to much effort to be kissing ass. I guess I tried.
Don't Try , Mr. Love

There is something about understanding humor,
and then transcending it to the next point.

I got it, in other words.

sign0201.gif

Well I asked her and she said, "Sometimes he responds too literally without explanation."

So your story checks out....

This time :mad:

I don't take myself seriously, either. That should be obvious.

for some reason, i thought you lived in georgia. that's why i didn't understand how it could be 6PM and you hadn't had your morning coffee yet. when you explained time zones to me, i was still confused, because would have been 3PM in georgia, which is still pretty late not to have had your morning coffee.

There are many time zones.

And how could it be 6 in Oakland and 3 in Georgia?

It works the other way around.

I don't take myself seriously, either. That should be obvious.
Yes, but we do take you seriously. As a person...as a writer...as a personality on here that many of us appreciate very much.

I'm sorry if you were offended by being compared to the guy in the light blue pants. That looks like something Beetlejuice would do to a man.

I'm sorry if you were offended by being compared to the guy in the light blue pants. That looks like something Beetlejuice would do to a man.
Not offended at all. This is an internet site, not a howling mob of peasants brandishing pitchforks and torches intent on demolishing my house and causing me bodily harm. That would offend me.

I don't get the Beetlejuice reference.

Ignorance is sometimes bliss.

Bingo:

"...People gave me money, food, places to stay. Whether they thought I was an idiot or a genius, that didn't matter. I knew what I was. I was neither. What made peope give me gifts didn't concern me. I took the gifts and I took them without a feeling of victory and/or coercion.My only premise was that I couldn't ask for anything. On top of it all, I rather had this little phonograph record spinning around on top of my brain and it kept playing the same tune: don't try don't try. It seemed like an all right idea."

from A Lovely Love Affair, published in The Most Beautiful Woman in Town.

Sorry for drifting on-topic. Please resume your jousting.

I like to write poems too. I think the thing about "don't try" means don't force it. Don't just sit down and say now I'm going to write some pretty poetry or raunchy poetry, whatever the case may be. You write when it comes to you. It has to come to you. You can't force it. If you "try" it doesn't sound natural and overall ends up sounding artificial. The feelings that affect writing poetry are deep rooted and you have to wait for them to surface sometimes. When they don't, you usually miss making your point.
What do you think?

I always interpreted it to mean that you shouldn't force 'it'

But it's hypocritical because Bukowski worked his ass off and was driven as anything probably due to the emotional neglect of his parents.

OK

"Don't try" means trying is not enough. You have to go for it wholeheartedly, or as Bukowski wrote in a poem of his:

"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start. This could mean losing
girlfriends, wives, relatives, jobs. And maybe
your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery, isolation. Isolation is the gift. All
the others are a test of your endurance. Of how much you really want to do it. And you'll do it, despite rejection in the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods. And the nights will flame with fire. You will
ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is. "

I'm trying not to respond to these recent sub-normal posts... fuck, why do I always have to fall for that?

That's also what I´m asking myself! Some people prefer their own take on things no matter what the facts are. Maybe I´ll learn one day.

We've already read Roll the Dice (quoted a couple of times in this thread, the first time by Sircha 7 years ago) in What Matters Most Is How Well You Walk through the Fire (the book of poems someone we know riddled with bullets), thank you.

Don't start

but if you do start

go all the way

I think Bukowski was all about authenticity. It wasn't about glamour really, there was a lot of psychodrama in his writing and his own reasons for writing.

I imagine the idea of these university educated pampered kids trying to make it as writers would have been quite sickening to this man.

I don't think anyone should read Bukowski didactically whether it be this, the drinking, the life...any of it. Bukowski had the blessing and a curse of a fire in his heart that no beer or wine could douse. I don't think many people actually want the type of intensity Bukowski or any of these major idols have, most people just want the effects (money, success etc...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back