Down for chemotherapy (2 Viewers)

Gerard K H Love

Appreciate your friends
My nephew (26) was recently hospitalized to receive chemotherapy due to ewing sarcoma. We were all shocked to hear about this. He should pull out OK since he is young and strong.
I called him to give him support and just to see how he was handling it all. He tells me he will be reading to pass the time. He will finish reading Love is a Dog From Hell and another Bukowski title. I was quite surprised to hear that from him, but he is very intelligent. He's been into Bukowski for a little over a year. He impressed me again.
I hope he finds his way over here so he can learn for you great teachers. He could use the laughs. He won't be an asshole.
He has a good head on his shoulders. Let's all hope the doctors can get him cured. He's one of us now.

I'll think of your nephew tonight when I'm doing my moment of zen before falling asleep. I've been on oral chemo (pill form) for seven months now; not as bad as alternate forms of chemo delivery but not exactly a picnic either.

25 years ago my Ma went through 3 bouts of radiation + chemo. She was given a 15% chance to pull through & did...dig your heels in, reduce your stress (she maintains it's a much bigger influence than ANY of the so-called cancer causing agents) as much as possible, get positive, laugh, & beat it, by god. My very best to both Carvers & your nephew K H Love.

This all reminds me of Harvey Pekar and his wife Joyce, and the book they
wrote: Our Cancer year.

A friend of mine has gone to live with the Buddhists,
and will be participating in an assisted suicide.

He lived in the hotel I live in. He was the oldest guy here,
and amongst the most humorous. He told me he was getting
a lawyer and suing the tobacco companies, because they said
he would get cancer if he smoked. He's lived to be in his late 80's.
He was hoping for breach of written agreement. Something like that.

It'll all be fine. It can't help but be.
It already is.

Best . . . .

- -
Okay,
Farther Luke

sorry to hear that.

but in Buk, he has one of the best helpers to walk well through the fire.

maybe you can cheer him up with, what i consider to be the most funny hospital-story ever: 'All the assholes in the world and mine'.

thoughts are with you and your family, Gerard.
cancer is a bastard. it runs rampant in my family, it took my mother and 3 uncles and is in the process of taking my father.
best of luck.
steve.

chemo is not something i would wish on my worst enemy.

bukowski will help to pass the time nicely.

be there to lend an ear and a hand when you can.

best wishes to you all.

jen

i was 26 when i was diagnosed with leukemia. after going through that, chemo, radiation, a stem cell transplant, and severe clinical depression i'm as good as ever. bukowski helped me walk through the fire indeed :):):)
tell your nephew to stay strong and think positive...
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c46/chinaski304/scan0006-1.jpg
funny thing, the nurses and doctors would ask me if the pic hanging on the wall was my dad(to which a good chuckle was in order).

Thank you to all of you from my nephew. He's holding up very well between his youth and advances in modern medicine.
Bukfan he read that (I haven't even read that that I can remember) and he likes that too.
The other Bukowski book he brought with him is Tales of Ordinary Madness.

I knew there were a few survivors here but didn't realize Carversdog was going through it now. Wow this is a great place because of the powerful people here. Thank you from the nephew.

i was 26 when i was diagnosed with leukemia. after going through that, chemo, radiation, a stem cell transplant, and severe clinical depression i'm as good as ever. bukowski helped me walk through the fire indeed :):):)
tell your nephew to stay strong and think positive...
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c46/chinaski304/scan0006-1.jpg
funny thing, the nurses and doctors would ask me if the pic hanging on the wall was my dad(to which a good chuckle was in order).

jeez, James...that's an awful rough experience for a 26 year old to go through. I would say you are something of a miracle. All the best to you as well.

Since we're sharing my dad died 5 years ago from non-hodgkins lymphoma...it's good to hear about the successful treatments...nothing worked for him...in fact, everything they tried seemed to make things worse. The young always have a better chance.

It sounds as though he has great support from his family and that will help no end. I echo the sentiments already made when I say that we all wish him a speedy recovery.

update

Tomorrow morning my nephew is going in for surgery to remove some tumors and rib sections that are affected. They may even take some lung tissue. He was at the book store the other night showing one of his friends some Bukowski to read. (he's an ambassador for Bukowski) He promised to be strong, pull through and check this site out when he's able to use the computer.
His mom just got diagnosed with glaucoma. She's not too worried but she being a chicken about smoking some pot. Isn't glaucoma the first thing pot was said to be good for? I told her we always thought she needed to smoke some. She is a saint but she could use a joint once in a while.
Keep my nephew in our thoughts of goodness and happiness. Thank you.

So the chemo did'nt remove it all, I guess. Thanks God, they can remove the affected areas surgically! He's a young man, so he should have a good chance for a complete recovery. My very best wishes for a successful surgery!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best wishes to your nephew and his mom, Gerard,
to James and Carvers Dog.
I lost many close friends and family members to disease too.
I will keep you all in my best thoughts.

Gerard -

Wishing the best in recovery
for you and your family

There are 3 people I know personally
and see every day or so
who have battled the BIG C
and lived to brag about it

it is possible
life is possible after
radiation
chemo
surgery

and your nephew will see too ! :)

best wishes, Gerard. my mom wouldn't smoke the pot much either even when she was very sick. some just don't, you know?

Gerard, I read this thread last night , before I went to bed.
I hope that your nephew is doing well.
I can say for myself that I was a better person today,
I didn't complain as much,
best wishes to all...

Thank you all very much. I sent him some Bukowski post cards including the post card that has Black Swan and Ponders avatars.

He spent all day in surgery. They removed left side ribs #3,4,5 & 6 and 10% of his left lung. In the process they removed some scar tissue from an operation he had when he was 12 and noticed his aorta is more narrow than it should be.They will deal with that later, after he heals.
He is young strong and healthy so everything is going well. Thank you for the good thoughts for a fellow fan of Mr. Bukowski. He's a sharp young man.

fanofBuk.JPG
Nephew on a better day with a girl incognito.

I'm glad to hear your nephews operation went well! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back