e-baying Buk stuff... It's all going across the pond! (1 Viewer)

zoom man

Founding member
I've got 3 items that are about to run out in 3 hours,
And my highest bidders are in Denmark, France and England!
I hate to bid adieu! :D
It is funny, I lived in Germany and England for a while, and Buk really is
MUCH more appreciated there....
I have gotten questions about all my Buk e-bay items, and the majority are from Australia, etc.
I just wonder why, I mean he was so iconoclasticly American.

Did I just make up a word?!

It's the same old story.

Almost 30 years ago Bob Marley sang, "A good man is never honored in his own country." He was singing about Marcus Garvey, but the sentiment is the same. ;)

Well, it's over....
15 1st edition paperbacks are off to the same buyer,....
DENMARK!
Egads, can't wait to see what the shipping will cost me!

Yeah, I'd be interested to know what he's buying too. He's sold off so much stuff...I wonder what he could possibly not have?

come on, man, give us more info! which magazine? if it's an ebay auction, then it's public and everybody should have the right to take a look at it. :D

Jason contributed a lot of info to the database back in the early days. Whatever he sold is probably in there. ;)

And I don't think Martin shops on ebay, does he? If he does he's very covert about it.

jimmy martin is a marketing genius

but i do wish he did not sell to ecco

that must be why i am so poor

cause i hold on to every thing
ANY YOUNG PUBLISHERS OUT THERE?
give me some address to mail stuff to.

reasonknot said:
but i do wish he did not sell to ecco
Montfort told me Martin got four million dollars from HarperColins, so I don't know that I blame him. And he didn't even sell the entire catalog...

I read somewhere that Martin was making over a million bucks a year with BSP. Not too bad! He quit in 2002, so that makes 4 years now, meaning he would have earned 4 million dollars -approx-. hadn't he quit.
Of course, he got those 4 millions from Ecco not doing much, though he still edits the books.
Besides, he said he was too old to continue doing the same old thing. When I was in Santa Rosa I remember seeing him delivering the books PERSONALLY to a local bookshop. And I thought, "Can't him afford a delivery guy or something?" And the Santa Rosa office was anything but fancy. It was a VERY reduced team working in a very humble office.

Well, all HarperColins bought was Bukowski, Bowles and Fante. The rest of the Black Sparrow titles have - I assume - just disappeared. I haven't heard of any separate deals to publish any of the other BS titles elsewhere.

http://www.harpercollins.com/press/display.asp?ACT=showid&ID=36

According to that press release, there's one more "new" Bukowski book in the can, likely for a January 2007 release, then the new releases are finally finished, and Bukowski can rest. ;)

That will be weird.

mjp said:
According to that press release, there's one more "new" Bukowski book in the can, likely for a January 2007 release, then the new releases are finally finished, and Bukowski can rest. ;)

I'm surprised by how sad this makes me...

Ah, that's right. I think he was mentioned in one of the stories about the sale. Thanks.

He should have picked up the blacksparrow.com domain...after it expired a couple of years ago, a Z grade search company bought it. :\

This is the businessman talking, the man who built a successful office supply business in Los Angeles in the '60s and who in May reportedly struck a seven-figure deal with HarperCollins for the rights to Black Sparrow's three top authors, Bukowski, Bowles and Fante, plus rights to five unpublished books of Bukowski's poems.

Martin sold his Wyndam Lewis titles to Ginkgo Press in Corte Madera; the rest of the Black Sparrow list went to Charles Godine, a Boston publisher.

from San Francisco Chronicle interview, Black Sparrow Press shuts its doors
Indie publisher sells Bukowski, Fante and Bowles titles to HarperCollins
, Heidi Benson, Chronicle Staff Writer Monday, July 29, 2002

hoochmonkey9 said:
I'm surprised by how sad this makes me...

Me too.....
And personally
(I guess there is no other way to feel :D )
I think Come On In! features some of Buk's Strongest writing....
Yeah,
Some of it is also blase (sp?) but Man!
Some of it is killer.

Blue on page 275,... well, I just bawled my eyes out
(If a gay cowboy movie can be up for best picture,
(:cool: and I'm all for Brokeback, great movie)
then an admitted Buk freak can attest to crying reading one of his poems!) :D

Nope, it wasn't me. I'm a bit curious myself. And I'm still waiting for other Buk diehards from DK to show up here in the forum...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back