Explorations 1991 (1 Viewer)

Pogue Mahone

Officials say drugs may have played a part
This is a new one for the database. Explorations, 1991, University of Alaska, Juneau.

The manuscript for the first poem (seven come eleven) is in the database and matches the date on Bukowski’s letter. It appears to be uncollected.

The second poem (the human sacrifices) also appears to be uncollected.

The third poem (two writers) appeared in the night torn mad with footsteps, “cleaned up” of course by the editor.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

The third poem (two writers) appeared in the night torn mad with footsteps, “cleaned up” of course by the editor.
It's there and it had been changed all right.

For instance:
something about how
when some civilizations
took over other
civilizations
they left their own
artworks upon
them:
buildings, statues, shrines and
the
like.

had been replaced with:
something about how
when one civilization
takes over another
civilization
they leave their own
art imprinted on
it:
buildings, statues,
shrines and the
like.

Where's the "unlike" button? :wb: On the surface, those changes could be construed as "minor." After all, the general meaning is not changed, but the latter is so literal or specific that it strips the soul from the work. The former is slightly more abstract - more is left to the reader. The latter spoon-feeds the point and annoys me.

On the surface, those changes could be construed as "minor." After all, the general meaning is not changed, but the latter is so literal or specific that it strips the soul from the work. .

Purple is right on and the example from Zobraks provided is good, but this is the one that really burned me:

Original:
"I walked out and had the girl put it on Medicare.

Edited by an idiot:
"I walked out and had the girl charge it to Medicare."

This is obviously a guy who never spoke or even heard the words, "Put it on my tab."

Purple put it perfectly:
" so literal or specific that it strips the soul from the work..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back