First Hitler... now Mussolini? (1 Viewer)

cirerita

Founding member
From a 1981 interview.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 00864b.jpg
    00864b.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 639
  • 00864c.jpg
    00864c.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 672
Bukfan:
Basically, the interviewer asks Bukowski if it's true that he praised a book by Mussolini in his first interview ever for an Italian paper. B. says, more or less: "It's true. Here in America we're taught that Mussolini is a fool and a madman. One day I was in a bookstore and I found one of his books. It was a very smart book..." Then he says that he doesn't care about politics, that he's not a communist, a fascist or an anarchist. He just wants to go his own way, without politics or God's help.

That's interesting! I never knew Buk bought and read a book by Mussolini.
Thanks a lot for the translation, cirerita!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the way he thinks... y'know Will Smith got in some heat over conveying a similiar ideal about Hitler... "even Hitler thought what he was doing was right." Which I also believe to be true... people were calling him a communist, fachist, whathaveyou. Why can't people just have an opinion without being labeled something? I hate that open-minded, intelligent people are often condemened for their beliefs. But no one ever got anywhere without a little controversy. Where Will Smith got, I don't know, but the Pursuit of Happiness was a good film.

Thanks c :)

Interesting bit of info C.
Just shows one more time Buk's willingness to have an unflinching look at reality...

Well, reading a book by Mussolini is no big deal. But saying that you enjoyed it to a major Italian paper can certainly cause a stir, and that's exactly what happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back