• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Firsts (1 Viewer)

I almost went for some of his earlier auctions.

I think he put a lot of buyers off by refusing to take paypal. International money orders are too much work really (for lazy guys like me anyway).

Shame, he had a nice HB 1st 'Screams From The Balcony' and a 2nd Ed 'Poems Written Before Jumping...' that both went cheaply. Ah well.

Shame, he had a nice HB 1st 'Screams From The Balcony' and a 2nd Ed 'Poems Written Before Jumping...' that both went cheaply. Ah well.

I picked up his ...8 Story Window 2nd for $46. I'd describe it as near fine to fine; a couple of very small cover creases, but the binding looks/feels as if it has almost never been opened. Spine is pretty sunned though. Probably sat on someone's shelf for 30 years.

About a day or so after I bid on his, another copy went up (described as Fine or very fine, IIRC). Last bid I saw was, somewhat amusingly, $46. I missed the final selling price. Anyone know?

And mjp: I think you got some very good deals on those firsts in wraps. I'm concentrating on hardbacks these days, as I have so many of the soft covers (although only a few firsts; those from the early 1990s).

I picked up his ...8 Story Window 2nd for $46. I'd describe it as near fine to fine; a couple of very small cover creases, but the binding looks/feels as if it has almost never been opened. Spine is pretty sunned though. Probably sat on someone's shelf for 30 years.
That second in mint condition used to go for $75/$80, which isn't that far from what you can get a lesser condition first edition for. They are pretty close in price, those two. At least they used to be. Maybe the second is coming down more to the range you got it...I dunno. Prices confuse me. Ha. Sometimes I think something's a good deal and someone will send me a message, "Dude, what are you doing?!"

Then I think I see things like Semina for $40 (which I couldn't have seen), so really, from here on out I think I'm going to advise everyone to ignore any post I make with a dollar sign in it.

If you buy something and you like it, you got good deal. That's my idiot's rule of thumb.

Maybe the second is coming down more to the range you got it...I dunno. Prices confuse me. Ha. Sometimes I think something's a good deal and someone will send me a message, "Dude, what are you doing?!"

If you buy something and you like it, you got good deal. That's my idiot's rule of thumb.

I'd prefer to think that the prices are still going up, but I just got a steal. ;)

And I know what you mean. I've bought a few things at stupid prices. Fortunately none of them have been more than about $75. As for your idiot rule of thumb; it's hard to make money in the rare book market (especially with Buk books that are already at apremium), so it's best to salivate over what you get.

Then again, I am seeing some creeping up in price of a few things in the commercial book market. I bought a signed "Luck" (1987 NYG - I know how much you love those!) in 2004 for $125. I probably overpaid, but I was naive at the time in terms of sources of this stuff. The same title (from the same seller) went up to $150 about a year or two ago, and it's now $175.

I suppose that doesn't mean that the true market value has increased; maybe it just means that the seller perceives it that way.

I mean that of course as my idiot's rule of thumb. I know I've spent idiot amounts on a few things for sure. I always think I've cured myself, but you never know.

Here's a story to make you weep. I recall a row of mint copies of 8 Story Window (Litmus ed.) for $2 each, in Powell's Books, Portland, many years ago. I bought one copy only (money was tight), later sold it. Wish I could go back for a second copy. My wife hates me telling these woulda-coulda-shoulda stories.

Here's a story to make you weep. I recall a row of mint copies of 8 Story Window (Litmus ed.) for $2 each, in Powell's Books, Portland, many years ago. I bought one copy only (money was tight), later sold it. Wish I could go back for a second copy. My wife hates me telling these woulda-coulda-shoulda stories.

That's why I try to visit Powell's at least twice a month... One never knows what one might find. Found a new copy of Shakespeare Never Did This not long ago... Brand new, in fact. Love that copy.

Still upset I didn't jump on the signed Wait Until Spring Bandini for $300... Cheapest I've seen it since...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back