• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Four titles for sale (1 Viewer)

I think your prices are unrealistic.

Dangling sells for $200.

A signed Screams just sold for $123.50 - http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=150373051726

And a Pulp with print just sold for less than your starting bid. Your bidding should start at $100.

Good luck but if you want to sell - lower your prices.

PLUS - introduce yourself in the "New Blood" section so we know who you are and how you came across the books - this is a forum for Bukowski admirers - people can get suspicious when first timers use it as a classified site.

I usually avoid introduction threads on message boards but I see your point. It *was* in bad form for me to use my first post as an auction pimp and I apologize for the faux-pas.

As far as prices, I arrived at those amounts after consulting with a board member. However, I appreciate your suggestions and will definitely do some more research to see if I did actually overprice.

No problems.

Just remember there is a big differenec betwen a dealer price and what you should be selling them for at auction.

A dealer can afford to sit on an item for years or just have it listed to attract traffic.

An auction is a realistic way of determining an immediate price - and I think you may struggle.

Good luck.

baphomette consulted with me. I also thought that some of the prices were slightly high in the ebay listings, but if I said that those were the prices then maybe I was a bit tired. I tried to give an honest opinion, but I am not 100% perfect. I will say that the Presentation copy of Shadow is the only one that I have seen. If Nick and Ross were bidding, it would probably go high....

The real disappointment is "Screams". The do not usually sell for $130 even on ebay, but there you have it. One sold a couple days ago for that price....
Bill

The copy that sold on eBay was described as having "wear around the edges" and, as the one I'm selling does not, I assumed the value would be higher. I now understand I was mistaken. Book selling is new to me and I've been learning as I go, leaning heavily on price suggestions of experienced/longtime sellers and collectors (as well as abebooks). I really do appreciate the input I'm receiving and have lowered the price on "Screams" but I can't drop it more due to certain circumstances, I'm afraid.

And now I need a drink...

this is a bad time to sell books on ebay, too. your prices aren't unrealistic at all, but they aren't bargains, either. the economy had forced the price of rare books down so much that unless what you have is really rare or difficult to find, people probably won't want it unless it's a bargain.

Sunday Morning Update: I was selling the books I'd listed as a favor to my cash-strapped best friend who didn't have the patience to (a)research book selling (b)research reasonable prices for the titles offered or (c)create an eBay listing. But since I love him to pieces, I agreed to do all three things in exchange for a Starbucks Frappucino. (What can I say? I'm a cheap date.)

As I mentioned before, I came up w/my initial auction prices after I talked to a few experienced sellers/collectors (especially Bill, who TOTALLY rocks). However, I was more than a little frustrated/disappointed this morning when I saw that my friend had increased all prices for the opening bids and BINs. Tried w/absolutely no luck to explain to him that the amounts were unreasonable, so I finally gave up. And I now feel the need to apologize for his sudden avarice:

I'm sorry my best friend is a stubborn, greedy money-grubber.

I really and truly appreciate all the help I've gotten from members regarding book pricing and I *do* plan on sticking around (I never intended to do an auction-pimp hit 'n' run). And I think that's it.

- Kerin

Hi Kerin,
Your friend is not only greedy, but a bit foolish. These are now effectively priced out of the market. I hope that it is not you who is paying these ebay listing fees. You will likely not sell any, so by him/her raising the price, they are throwing money away.

I just hope that it is not yours.

Bill

Your friend is not only greedy, but a bit foolish. These are now effectively priced out of the market. I hope that it is not you who is paying these ebay listing fees. You will likely not sell any, so by him/her raising the price, they are throwing money away.

I just hope that it is not yours.
Nope. The fees are all on him and they're kinda steep, too, so I agree - he really is throwing away money.

I hope you still got your Frappucino.
Yes I did and b/c of his antics this morning, I think there's a few more coming my way...

Wow, I was following the auction where Screams sold for $123.00. Then I saw the one you listed and thought, eh, you can still get one on Abe for less than $200.00, then I looked again today and now the starting bid is $325.00! WHOA, I think you can get one with the print for less than that.

Someone now changed the listing for In The Shadow of The Rose to say that it is 1 of 3 copies. I'm not sure that this is even true. I always thought that BSP would use overrun copies as presentation copies. I don;t have Krumhansl here, but don;t remember him saying that there were 3 copies of this. There could be 30 or 40 copies...

I assume that this is the friend with unreasonable expectations.

Still, that is the only book that has any chance of selling at the UBER inflated prices...

Bill

Someone now changed the listing for In The Shadow of The Rose to say that it is 1 of 3 copies. I'm not sure that this is even true.Bill

You're right Bill, it isn't true.
I've got Krumhansl in my lap (yikes!)->
"62 signed copies were published 25 July 1991: 26 lettered A-Z plus 36 copies, 20 of which were marked "Presentation Copy"; 10 marked "Author's Copy"; 2 marked "Printer's Copy" and 1 each marked "Publisher's Copy," "Editor's Copy," "Binder's Copy," and "File Copy."

Good Olde Aaron

So, in addition to overpricing his stuff against the advice of experts, he also sees fit to make up limitations to make items appear rarer than they really are...

Bill

Bill, tell your wife that I said you are the salt of the earth, 99.999999% perfect. In that rare case when you are 0.000001% wrong, you are the first to admit it.

You can quote that: "Salt of the Earth."

Tell her you are LEGENDARY among small press poets and collectors. Not just for your big hearted generosity and kindness (except when exposing eBay fakers), but also for you mastercraftman skills and design genius. And all the women poets are chasing you while the male poets all want to buy you a beer. LEGEND.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back