Freshly born, up from the depths... (1 Viewer)

Hello, I am new to the boards! And this is my first post!:D

I'm not new to Buk, however. Having been reading his poetry for years. But I have yet to try his novels. So any recommendations are appreciated.

I'm thinking of Ham on Rye or Factotum. I have worked a string of blue collar jobs (and still am) like Buk himself, and am wondering if Factotum is the best place to start.

I've been writing poetry since the age of 10, pretty much. Never been published in any major magazines, or won any major contests, but I have put out a couple of books. Plus I'm working on my third book of poetry now.

My favorite places to write are cafes, diners, some bookstores, and one bar downtown where I live. I feel I write better when I can see the world happening around me.

So please write me back and we'll expound upon all things Bukowski together.

Oh, indeed I can. I've worked fast food, convenience store/gas station, Lowe's, and now as a night custodian.

Thanks for responding.

Welcome Zen, good job posting here in the New Blood section. I can sometimes be an ass to people who just walk in through any old door they want. Of course I never posted a new blood on my own.
Ham on Rye is good too.

I think that it is very unusual to come to Bukowski through the poems. Most people read the novels first and then read the poetry once they get over the fact that they thought that they hated poetry.

It is good to be unusual, though.

Bill

Hello, welcome to the forum. Do you have any favorite poems ?
None whose titles I can currently quote per se. But I am currently reading through "Pleasures of the Damned." And finding it a damned good read.

Welcome Zen, good job posting here in the New Blood section. I can sometimes be an ass to people who just walk in through any old door they want. Of course I never posted a new blood on my own.
Ham on Rye is good too.
Hi, Gerard. I find being an ass to myself is a great tutorial to being an ass to others!:D

I think that it is very unusual to come to Bukowski through the poems. Most people read the novels first and then read the poetry once they get over the fact that they thought that they hated poetry.

It is good to be unusual, though.
Never knew he wrote novels until I bought my first volume of his poetry, which was "Sifting Through the Madness..." Then I picked up "Flash Behind the Mountain" (do I have that right?) and saw a poem about grandma cutting a fart. Right then, I knew I'd found my muse.

The poems only get better from there! Really, some of the books like "War All The Time", Burning in Water", You Get So Alone At Times", Love is a dog from Hell" are really highlights in my opinion. If you have not read those yet, it is worth a trip to your local bookstore.

If you are in Morgantown, WV there is one hell of a bookstore to visit.

Bill

Yeah... that would be a good indication!
Post Office is also very good.

I'd heard Buk was pretty disenchanted with working at the PO after 12 years or so. I felt similar about my job at the convenience store. I was doing money-counting and office work, but lacked the title of asst. manager and the pay that went along with it. Got sick of busting my hump doing more work for less pay and went to Lowe's after that. Quit that job, too a few years later.

Thank you. Nice to be here.

And yes, his posthumous stuff is the bulk of what I've read. I do have the Rooming House Madrigals lying around somewhere, though.

If you are in Morgantown, WV there is one hell of a bookstore to visit.
I do live in Morgantown as a matter of fact! We have a BAM on one side of town and a B&N on the other. The B&N has a better selection of Buk's books. Poetry AND novels.

I do live in Morgantown as a matter of fact! We have a BAM on one side of town and a B&N on the other. The B&N has a better selection of Buk's books. Poetry AND novels.

Hi,
I was in the right state and on the wrong side of that state (Lewisburg is not very close to Morgantown). I was referring to the bookstore owned by Robert Head & Darlene Fife, who ran NOLA Express in the 1960's. They would have known Buk. If I was ever in Lewisburg, I'd surely stop by their store.

Bill

If I'm ever down that way, I will surely look for it. Thanks for the heads up. Usually, though, the furthest south I go is Clarksburg or Parkersburg.

Welcome aboard, zenguru! If you like the poems, then you'll probably like the novels too! - And don't forget to read the short stories! "South Of No North" or "The Most Beautiful Woman In Town" would be a good place to start...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have "Most Beautiful..." but haven't started it yet. Have to finish "Pleasures of the Damned" first, then "Factotum", then the short stories. Though I have flipped through "South of No North" in the bookstore. I think that's gonna be the next one I get.:cool:

Ah, you already have "Most Beautiful"! Then you should read the story called, "The Fiend". That's the most "disturbing" of Buk's stories. It's mentioned in all the Buk bio's...

Well, I've been here a little while and it's interesting to retrace the first steps I took through here.

So far, I've read Factotum, Women, Most Beautiful Woman in Town, Dangling in the Tournefortia, and Bone Palace Ballet. In between I've read some Ray Bradbury to change things up.

Now I'm halfway through Fante's Ask the Dust. And I can certainly see why Buk worshipped this man's writing. When I get through with that, it may be time to start another Buk novel. Maybe Ham on Rye this time.

Thanks to everyone for making my time here so far, and my time to come, so much fun!

Thankee, Black Swan. I'd like to take this moment to thank all Bukowski readers here for making me feel so welcome.

You've all been berry berry good to me.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back