G'Day (1 Viewer)

I guess starting a new thread to say hi is the norm.. so HI!

If the title didn't give me away, I am Australian; I am female, 33, lived around Sydney my whole life. I am married with a baby girl, Cassidy and one on the way. I read a lot, well I try to.

First Bukowski book I read (cover to cover) was Ham on Rye. Prior to that my husband had When You're So Alone That It Just Makes Sense and was shoving poems in my face while I was trying to read something else. I have a friend also who is a mad Buk fan which is a total paradox considering the type of guy he is. I watched a couple of interviews of him and of his friends and thought WTF is so good about this guy. So I bought Ham on Rye, read it in a couple of nights, thought it was pretty good. Then I bought Women and read that and was shocked at the difference between the two. I have just finished Hollywood which I find to be the middle ground (so far) and next I have Notes of a Dirty Old Man to read next. I have watched Factotum and sat through about...55% of Barfly... I just can't stand Rourke.

Errmmm... what else? My favourite writer is Vonnegut closely followed by Jeffry Eugenides (I wish he would write more). My favourite band used to be Kings of Leon until they sold their souls to fill arenas so now I guess its The Strokes. Don't have a favourite movie but I think I have seen The Goonies as many times as the kid who played Chunk (anyone who has seen the film commentary will now what I mean) and pre-motherhood/labotomy I was a nerd/lead tech for a large ISP. Hobbies, I paint, draw and take photos.

I think that's just about it really. Hi to everyone, I look forward to hanging around.

Steve is a she; we pretty much call her Stevie. We were living on Oxford Street at the time (Gay Capital of Australia) and it seemed appropriate.

Welcome aboard! Vonnegut is a great writer. He's pretty funny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, love Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions my favourite of his works (so far, haven't read them all yet) - funnily, In my mind I see Kilgor Trout looking very similar to ol' Buk.

welcome.

none of my pets are gay, as far as I can tell. but if they were, that would be ok.

enjoy the forum.

Yeah, love Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions my favourite of his works (so far, haven't read them all yet) - funnily, In my mind I see Kilgor Trout looking very similar to ol' Buk.

That's a great book. Same with "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater; or, Pearls before Swine". "Jailbird", about a guy getting caught up in Watergate, is funny too.
Yes, there's some resemblance to Buk in the Kilgore Trout figure. They were certainly both people who kept to themselves.

That's a great book. Same with "God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater; or, Pearls before Swine". "Jailbird", about a guy getting caught up in Watergate, is funny too.
Yes, there's some resemblance to Buk in the Kilgore Trout figure. They were certainly both people who kept to themselves.

I keep an eye out for whatever I can find, but since dying his books are ridiculously expensive. I have found some earlier editions without the flashy new covers for reasonable prices. I have read BOC, Slaughterhouse Five, Cats Cradle and Bogumbo Snuffbox so far. I am not allowed to buy any more books until I halve my "to read" pile.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :D

It's a Scientology term, referring to a band without an end. Like Herbie Hancock or the Rolling Stones. But I understand that you have to take a course to really understand it.

Hubbard invented eponymy, didn't you know that? And he's very big in France (think Hasselhoff/Germany). July 13th, the day before Bastille day, is celebrated in France as The Hubbard Bridge To Bastille, and the french all gather in the streets and blow cigarette smoke at each other. Apparently you can see the resulting cloud from space.

welcome.

none of my pets are gay, as far as I can tell. but if they were, that would be ok.

enjoy the forum.

We have a male cat named Beefy, he always allows kittens to try and nurse off of him. We think he might be gay. Welcome to you, and to Steve...
Now that I think of it, I have a brother named Steve... never mind.:)

Hubbard invented eponymy, didn't you know that?

Well, of course I knew that! Obviously, all good things spring (sprang? spung?) from the Holy Bleeding Fountain of Hubbard. That's why his books are always New York Times best-sellers.

Does your pseudo refer to the eponymous band best living band in the world?

How would the nym Muse1176 refer to The Jonas Brothers Band? I just don't get the connection. Something to do with L. Ron Hubbard, right?

Everything comes back to Hubbard. Humanitarian, Scientist, Explorer, Philosopher, Composer, Father - my goodness, what couldn't he do?

Welcome. I have cat we call "Dude". He likes white russian...

I have a siamese. Pywaka. she likes white russians too. really. and baileys. and I once caught her drinking an oj and vodka from a glass I'd left sitting. I think I've taught her bad habits. If she starts smoking my cigars I'll be pissed.

Since this thread has gone to the cats. The cat that lives in our house tries to drink out of any glass she can get to, unless it's coffee or tea. Ambulance likes a cold beverage. Yes her name is Ambulance, thanks to my son.

Welcome to the forum.

OK - maybe "muse" doesn't refer to the band but I'm thinking "1176" refers to November 1976 ? The month/year of your birth ?

My name is Kreskin, by the way.

Just calling them what they said their name was, isn't there another David kicking around? why don't we just call everyone David, it wont get confusing according to David.

No, let's call everyone Sparky.

oh, this is who Number 6 was referring to:

amazing_kreskin_2.jpg

We love you Muse1176

Welcome, Muse1176!

So Vonnegut is your favorite writer? Well, don't be surprised if hanging around here causes Buk to rise up a couple notches. har har.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back