God afton ! (1 Viewer)

Ah, Greetings! (God afton!) (another god damn swede)

Thought I'd introduce myself before i'll make a possible first post in the forum. Been following the threads for about maybe 6 months. Will probably continue just reading what you fellows are posting and not post myself but hey, who knows!

23 years old but an avid Bukowski reader and first-editions collector. I've written my Bachelor degree paper on the poetry of Mr. Buewkouwski.

I've read all of the novels, some of the short stories, two letter collections and almost all of his collections of poetry. I definitely prefer Bukowski the poet!

Most recently read Pulp thou and found it to be really funny!

Well thats all for me folks! Cheers!

(Just recieved a 1/1 Factotum HC and a 1/1 Roominghouse M. HC today - probably what gave me the inspiration for taking the giant leap-of-faith and leaving my bubble of solitude)

//Carl

Hi,

It is the same Carl, but i just misspelled your name (by a LOT). Apologies.

Yes, you should have that book in a few days.

Welcome!

Bill

hello Carl, you goddamn Swede!

I've been seeing your handle here the past few months and I kept thinking 'when is this guy going to post something!?!?'

and now you did, and I'm glad you did.

enjoy.

Welcome Carl "Gin Soaked Boy" Thorstensson, I am glad to hear that you studied the forum before you dove in.

I was watching a TV program about volcanoes and glaciers in Iceland and they had an expert named Thorstensson. Are you an ice and lave expert?

Lots of Swedes showing up lately. That is nice. Better than those damn Danes!

Ha!

Bill
p.s. Erik, notice that I did not mention Norwegians? Your Welcome!

Welcome aboard, Gin Soaked Boy!

Lots of Swedes showing up lately. That is nice. Better than those damn Danes!

Ha!

That's right, Bill! Danes can be a bit of a nuisance sometimes. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in the second smallest state in the US. The City Los Angeles has 4 times the population of our whole state.

I am used to people making fun of me...

Bill

Velkommen din jævla svenskefaen!
:D
(just spicing up the sweetness a bit...)

Ah, Greetings! (God afton!) (another god damn swede)

23 years old but an avid Bukowski reader and first-editions collector. I've written my Bachelor degree paper on the poetry of Mr. Buewkouwski.

//Carl

Welcome Carl!

In a more serious mode... I did my "hovedfag" on Bukowski's poetry. Way back in 99. In the good old days. Before those anglo-american imperialists forced their bachelor and master "degrees" upon us.

What do you think of the swedish translations of Buk's poems? Sweden is the Scandinavian country with the most Bukpoem translations, I believe. Is it not so Bukfan?

TheNorwegian translations suck, or, as a swede would say, "suger".

Sweden is the Scandinavian country with the most Bukpoem translations, I believe. Is it not so Bukfan?

I don't know a thing about the Swedish Buk poem translations, but I can tell you there's only one thin Danish book with Buk poem translations and some words have been wrongly translated such as in the poem from Crucifix called 'Something for the touts...', where the word 'yellow' in 'Yellow men with bad breaths..', have been translated into the color yellow as if the yellow men where Asians. I believe Buk meant 'yellow' as in 'cowards', but maybe our English speaking friends can clear that one up for me?

The Danish translations of the novels are not too exact either. For instance, when Buk use the word 'crazy', instead of translating the word literally, the translator has spiced it up by using a modern Danish slang expression for crazy instead. I don't think that was necessary and I think it's wrong to spice up a translation of a book. Of course, sometimes it can be necessary to use some other words than the original ones in order to get a point across but I don't think that's the case with the word crazy.That's just one example, of course. All in all, the translations of the novels are okay but not great or exact.

Velkommen din jævla svenskefaen!
:D
(just spicing up the sweetness a bit...)

Haha. Deiligt!

What do you think of the swedish translations of Buk's poems? Sweden is the Scandinavian country with the most Bukpoem translations, I believe. Is it not so Bukfan?

Actually I haven't read a single Bukowski book in swedish. I've always went straight for the english. As to the number of Buk poem books; I think there only exists two books. "Dikter fär däende vilsna och däende veka stolta och skäna" ("Poems for the dying lost and dying weak proud and beautiful" - play the piano like a percussion...) and "Badkarsmusik" ("Bathtub music" - Hot Water music - which of course isn't only poems). Hopefully that isn't the highest number of books of poem translations a nordic country has.

I think the translations are supposed to be O.K. At least they recieved good reviews but then again - don't know how familiar the reviewers are with the original text in english.

Hopefully that isn't the highest number of books of poem translations a nordic country has.
It is not. Allt e bättre i Finland :)

Btw. Do you find Öijer's poetry read-worthy. I've got Samlade dikter in both svenska och finska but can't really decide what to make of it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back