Going To Paris In October (1 Viewer)

Black Swan

Abord the Yorikke!
Hi , I am going to Paris for 2 weeks in October , a birthday gift from my brother. Any suggestions as to what is a must do or not do? I am looking at maps for museums and antiques and books.......
Is céline's grave in Paris?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks a little like Bukowski, doesn't he.

1388807554_48df55c203_o.jpg

Hmmm. That's interesting. Céline's MySpacepage
(? Go figure) indicates he was buried in a small cemetery at Bas Meudon.

An Google had him buried in Pére-Lachaise.

I'll go with Bas Meudon for the daily double.

Definitely go to Shakespeare Books in Paris (www.shakespeareco.org), it'd be sacrilege not to - Its opposite Notre Dame and its owned (and still run) by George Whitman (a yank) who opened it in 1951 - its a real aladdins cave, it has thousends of rare and obscure books in there that I'd kill to own and its not that expensive. its floor-ceiling books, and has an upper floor that can only be reached by this rickety ladder-cum-staircase, lots of nooks and crannys to hide away and read in, cats walking around (and sleeping) everywhere.....I guarantee you'll love it. It has a great poetry section amongst others...
Notre dame is good, but prepare yourself for a long queue (took about an hour last time I went), and if you're staying anywhere in 'downtown' paris (on the same side of the Seine as the Louvre) then dont bother buying lots of metro tickets - Paris is deceptively small I find (well, compared to London anyway) so you can walk from one side to the other in about 15-20minutes. Also, the best restaurants are found by meandering down random streets, away from the tourist hotspots.....oh, and its cheaper to buy a glass of wine than a glass of coke, so enjoy the boozing when you're there! (although Beer is another matter! Its about 10euros a pint!)
Its worth checking out the Louvre obviously, although personally I find it all a tad dull, but then I have spent my life in and around london so I'm used to decent museums - I much prefer the musee D'orsay over the louvre, but then its no surprise as it has modern/post modern art in there, which is lacking in the louvre (obviously).
Oh and finally, if you see the Mona lisa, tell her she's nothing special from me......

Have you been before?

You'll have a wonderful time of it. Just wandering around was absolutely beautiful, the cafes etc. I can't wait to go back and explore more of the city.

Have a great time!

Je suis québécoise pure laine. ChinasBuk es-tu chinoise ou chinois? Mon fils est un quart chinois.

Je suis québécoise pure laine.
>Roughly translated this means NO the French do not think I speak French but Candaians think I do.

Vive Le Canada!

And don't forget Disneyworld Paris...
Ha ha ha ha. Now that is the funniest thing I've read all day.

I agree with WestofRome that the best way to find anything in any strange city is by wandering around. Back when I traveled a lot I would always go out on foot and purposely try to get lost on my first day in a new city. I pretty much found everything that turned out to be memorable using the "go get lost" method.

It's actually kind of hard to get lost in some cities (like Paris) because of the giant or numerous landmarks, but I'll tell you, there's nothing quite like walking out into someplace like Tunis not knowing how you'll find the hotel again at the end of the day. ;)

Last edited:
Hi , I am going to Paris for 2 weeks in October , a birthday gift from my brother. Any suggestions as to what is a must do or not do? I am looking at maps for museums and antiques and books.......
Is céline's grave in Paris?

Trust me on this one...........Paris is a lot more enjoyable if a Parisian can show you around. I went there a couple of times and the first time was with my ex. We'd never been there vefore and some of the cliches are true...........they don't like speaking English and can be pretty rude. And some Moroccan fella started chatting then we couldn't get rid of him. I had to get a bit aggressive towards him before he Eff'd off. Besides all that, at 6pm all Parisians buy baguets for their dinner and carry them home under their arms

Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower (don't bother trying to jump off, they've blocked access to jumping :D). We stood in line for ages at the Louvre but got sick of waiting. The Mona Lisa is small over-rated thing anyway

Do some touristy things but I suggest you then find the little back alleys and find the real Paris

there is a falafel restaurant in the 4th called "l'as du falafel" that has the best food i've ever eaten. it's in the jewish district near the st. paul metro station. i highly recommend it. in the 10th, there is a walk-street called "le passage brady," that is worth checking out. it's lined with indian restaurants, and the proprietors will stand outside and basically "bid" for you to eat at their place (free drinks, desserts, that kind of stuff). in the 19th, the "buttes-chaumont" park is a really nice place to walk around for a while- it's where they moved a lot of the dirt when they leveled a bunch of hills in the 19th century, so the hills are gigantic. as for art museums, the hideously ugly pompidou center is my favorite... it's got a fantastic modern art collection, if you like that kind of stuff. a good little neighborhood to check out is along the rue moufftard in the 5th... narrow streets, great crepe shops, nice little place. then you can go from there to the cafes and art galleries in the st. germain section of the 6th for a nice afternoon. also recommended is starting at the bastille monument and walking up the canal into the 10th/11th. if you have the time, it may be worth a train trip to chartres to see the cathedral there... it's enormous, and has more historical significance than any cathedral in france besides notre dame. finally, in the 4th, there is a street called rue vielle du temple that has a bunch of cafes that are all distinguished by their unique bathrooms. there's les philosophes, au petit fer du cheval, and 2 others the names of which i can't remember. but the bathrooms are crazy, and the food at au petit fer is really really good. also, there are lots of gay bars on that street.

glad you liked my suggestions... i forgot, however, to mention that i haven't been to paris since 2001, so i'd double check my advice. it would be sad, for instance, if le passage brady is now where all the drug dealers who hung out near barbes congregate.

given a chance I'll check the soil for its radio metallic content, make sure that there's is'nt too much magnesium and plant a couple of spuds wrapped with copper wiring attached to a generator and maybe piss on it too. . . If we can grow these huge suckers with telluric current the potato gun will never run out of ammunition. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back