Good Documentaries (2 Viewers)

The DVD " Anvil - the story of Anvil " arrived last week from Amazon - best docu of the last years for sure , Lips rules !

I love the British. We have a lot of family in South-end-on-Sea. Even the cops there are polite. They actually called her "love". Here, the cops would have shot them both to keep them from hurting themselves.

Bill

3 thumbs up -

facing-ali.jpg

The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia

- really hilarious and totally sad story about a famous hillbilly family

In the Realms of the Unreal is pretty good. Love Darger. Didn't know that was o.p.

A new doc, Public Speaking, about Fran Lebowitz, is good.

Dad's in Heaven With Nixon
[This video is unavailable.]
Is a documentary that, although it is odd in some ways, I found to be quite a nice story about some people I could identify with in a small way.

Here's a good one on migration from Latin America to the USA:

If your down for a good chuckle.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ysuG2O0zw
The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia was disappointing. That's wild? I saw worse growing up in rural Minnesota. Maybe the trailer created some expectations that were hard to live up to.

Where they really lost me though was building them up as some kind of outcasts and societal rebels, then about two-thirds of the way through the movie they mention, "oh, by the way, every member of the family gets a government check every month." Ha. Some rebels. They should have called it, Rebel With A Hand Out. And here I thought they were making it by selling drugs and other respectable means.

I know it's been mentioned, but this weekend a friend gave me Gimme Shelter on blu-ray as a gift. I've had the dvd forever and watched it maybe 20 times in my life. Well we watched it last night, and I cannot believe how moving, or sad, or just jaw dropping that thing is. It has the same effect on me every time. It was the first time my friend had ever seen it, and beyond thinking Mick Jagger is incredibly sexy, she was nearly speechless for an hour.

Great, great documentary. Now I'll have to show her grey gardens.

I've seen it on TV and it's pretty shocking. I think everybody should watch it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there have been some pretty fabulous choices shared already. One that I found to be very interesting that hasn't been included yet is The Parking Lot Movie. It's nothing that will really challenge your way of thinking or blow your mind as many of the previously suggested films will do. However, I think anyone who has worked in a situation that leaves you in isolation for a long period of time can relate to these guys. The best summary I can give comes from the film itself when one of the attendants says something like "we're overeducated and underpaid" and from there, the search for self begins.

I worked at a local park and had many days where no one would show up. I was alone, with a book and my thoughts. You do a lot of growing up there. You also start to feel ownership of that land and can get pretty serious when the customers try to take advantage of you.

It's at the very least entertaining and at the most provides a voice to the internal monologue of menial service job workers.

NY77: The Coolest Year in Hell.

I spent about four days in NYC late 1975. Was odd. Arrived at the bus terminal at night. Chaos on the streets. Hookers and pimps. Stayed at the downtown YMCA. I'm amazed I didn't get killed there after telling a guy I was "bummed" (yes I used that term) that he had asked for change and he looked at me and said "that's just the sort of shit you're going to have to put up with". Some record store clerk laughed when I asked about the Stooges' first LP ("the 3 Stooges?!").

Had to go to England to read Charles Shaar Murray's story in the NME on the Ramones. Then again I thought there was fuck all going on in London as well.

Seems like I was standing in the wrong places at the wrong times back then.

Saw the UN, went up the Empire State Building, bought scalped tickets for a Rangers game.... You know, touristy stuff.

NYC in the 70s and very early 80s was fucking awesome. I mean, as long as you didn't have to live there. Thanks for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back