Seen any good movies lately?

PhillyDave

“The essential doesn't change.” Beckett
Over 1000 posts
It's not a really good trailer, but it is a really cool movie. Melville's neo-noir/proto new wave flick. It's out of print. Borrowed this from the library.

mjp

The stone that the builder refused
Founding member
Over 5000 posts
Where's Joseph K? He should see this. Men being men, slapping broads around, taking what they want. I know he pines for a return to those halcyon days.

Bukfan

"The law is wrong; I am right"
Over 5000 posts
I watched the remake of "Papillon". It's not as good as the original movie but if you forget about the original it's not too bad, although it's difficult for the two main actors, Charlie Hunnam and Rami Malek, to compete with mega-stars like Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman who played the parts in the original movie. It's no doubt a fairly low budget movie but still watchable and much more brutal than the original.
papi-1.jpg

mjp

Founding member
Over 5000 posts
Also: La Femme Nikita and Léon: The Professional.

roni

Over 5000 posts
Léon: The Professional
Definitely. I'm such a sucker for that one.
Most people don't get, that it's not (primarily) an action-movie, but a sensible [or is the correct English word "sensitive"?], innocent love-story.

It's totally different a thing from "Lucy" though.

(And, a propos de Luc Besson: I never was a fan of "The 5th Element" or "The Big Blue", sorry.)

Last edited:

mjp

Founding member
Over 5000 posts
I've had the 133 minute version of Léon sitting here for years, but for some reason I've never watched it. I'll have to do that now. See what they put back into the story with those extra 25 minutes.

roni

Over 5000 posts
the additions are a bit "revealing" concerning their relationship, yes, but not that important.
It's been a true Love-Story from the beginning with the first theatre-version as well. But one needs to be a softie to see that.

Last edited:

PhillyDave

Over 1000 posts
Just came from seeing Suspiria. Very fucked up. So weird. I liked it.

20181031_061057.png

Where do i begin? A redo/remake of an old Italian horror movie by Argento. Never saw any of his stuff. May have to.

roni

Over 5000 posts
Hadn't seen the marvelous movie "CRASH" in about 10 years, but felt - tonight - like watching the high-emotional End-scene and looked for it on youtube. No chance for a decent version.

So I had to take the task on my own.
After all, it's not only about me, but GIVING. right?
I cut and edited and converted and uploaded this moving scene, so you have it:

PhillyDave

Over 1000 posts
It was Scorsese's born day this weekend so I watched Mean Streets & I saw 2001 in the theatre. Good weekend. .