Got a big pipe? Live reading DVDs preview available (1 Viewer)

mjp

Founding member
And by that I mean, of course, a fast internet connection...

I have here a 175MB .mpg file from the makers of the 1979/1980 live reading DVDs, but I can't play it on my computer. I don't know if it's because my computer just sucks ass - which it does - or whether something is wrong with the file.

If you have the time and the curiosity and feel like chancing the huge download, the file is here:

[File is no longer available. -ed.]

If you can get it to work, let us know how it looks. ;)

dvd2.jpg

There's also now a 27MB .avi file of the preview, courtesy of hank solo:

[File is no longer available. -ed.]

Last edited:
What a teaser. Not a bad advert...

Now do I want to buy the first DVDs or wait for the future boxset... Not both surely?!?!? :confused:

I managed to download it in about 40 min. with a 384 mb connection.
Then a quicktime logo appeared but I could not click on it and I do have quicktime installed. Then I found quicktime in my programs and clicked and a window popped up with movie previews to select from, but I still couldn't
activate the Buk preview. Have I done something wrong? Why can't I click on
the quicktime logo? Can anybody help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I clicked the link and the file played in my browser (Safari). Maybe you just need a newer version of QuckTime installed. Looking forward to the DVD release... looks to be great quality.

hank solo said:
Now do I want to buy the first DVDs or wait for the future boxset... Not both surely?!?!?
Their plan, at least as it stood a couple of months ago, is to release the box after the individual releases - like several months after. So I think the choice for those who have to have them right away is obvious.

Also, this is not Sony or Warner Bros., it's an independent production, so what if something happens and the box set is never released? You never know with this kind of thing.

Anyway, more info as it comes my way.

Finally it worked with the avi. link somewhat. I managed to watch from 1.51 to 4.21.
but it stops when I try to watch the beginning. Is it supposed to stop at 4.21 - it should run 'till 5.34 it says.
Very nice teaser! Are the dvd's realeased yet and where can I buy them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bukfan said:
[...]Is it supposed to stop at 4.21 - it should run ?till 5.34 it says.[...]
The whole clip should be watchable. Glad you saw some of it.

No word yet. Dennis is going to be in San Pedro next week (in from Canada for the Huntington Library event next week), if he has any further news I'll pass it along.

Still no release date. They are in talks with a couple of distributors and Jon mentioned trying to get someone's ear at IFC.

Dennis told me an interesting story about the tape of the Vancouver reading (the one seen briefly at the beginning of Born Into This).

Part of his deal with Bukowski was that he get a copy of the tape, so shortly after the reading, Dennis dubbed the tapes (on the same format, a now long obsolete 3/4" Sony cassette) and sent Bukowski the copy. Somehow Dennis' originals were erased by the place that was storing them ("Oh, that poet - we recorded over that"). He asked Bukowski for the copies, but he said he didn't have them. So for more than 20 years, Dennis thought the recording was lost.

Then one day a couple of years ago he was at Bukowski's house, and Linda was showing him around a room lined with shelves and thousands of books and magazines and papers (the trove that was recently donated to the Huntington), and he spotted two tape cases and pulled them down from a shelf. It was the copies of the Vancouver reading.

So there you go, that copy of Write is out there somewhere! Maybe at the Huntington... ;)

DVD preview looks well edited, the sound is excellent and I enjoyed the audience reactions from the 2004 celebration. I think B would have appreciated the inclusion of the other B's 9th on the soundtrack as good company.

There's something about having the visual to "Hostage" (the Redondo Beach reading) that amplifies the sense of being there tenth to the square, and that's the closest that I'll ever get to a live reading, unless I should be lucky enough to run into B on the Other Side. (That is, if there happens to be an Other Side and not a dilapidated outhouse).

Played it on VLC with nary a problem.

Thanks for alerting everyone to the possibility of this release. I have only one suggestion. If possible, adjust the faded colors digitally on the Sweetwater reading to bring them back into natural balance.

i'm sure i can speak for others when i say that i look forward to these two DVDS. is there any more word on the release date? to actually view the readings, rather than merely listening, really brings home the sheer force of the person...literally awe-inspiring!

Nothing new to report. When I hear word of a deal from Jon or Dennis bukowski.net will be the first to know.

I'm am obviously slow on the uptake. This answers a question that I thought about posting re. seeing Bukowski on local Vancouver t.v. in the late 70s/early 80s. On the Rogers cable community channel maybe? I just remember Bukowski and the crowd. Some banter about the World Series (Oct. 12th reading date) and Bukowski, at one point, hugging one of the bottles on the table.

Must have been the second time Bukowski was in Vancouver. I have a 1976 Georgia Straight with Bukowski as the cover story on a reading given at the Western Front (I believe), local art space. Writer of the article now does automotive road tests for both print and t.v. which has nothing to do with anything but at least proves that guy stuck with writing.

Can't remember where the Viking Hotel was or is. Too many things tore down or renamed over the years.

And I wasn't even aware of the 25th anniversary show at the Ridge. Too busy doing other things I suppose. When the Ridge showed Born Into This I talked myself out of the 45 minute drive to and from the theatre. I've got too old to line up for a movie.

I just remember Bukowski and the crowd. Some banter about the World Series (Oct. 12th reading date) and Bukowski, at one point, hugging one of the bottles on the table.

Must have been the second time Bukowski was in Vancouver. I have a 1976 Georgia Straight with Bukowski as the cover story on a reading given at the Western Front (I believe), local art space.

Can't remember where the Viking Hotel was or is. Too many things tore down or renamed over the years.
The reading you saw on television was the same one that will be on the DVD, it's from 10/12/79:

https://bukowskiforum.com/showthread.php?t=104 (The Viking Inn address is handwritten on the ticket. ;))

You're right about the Western Front in 1976 (also in October). That was his first trip outside the U.S.

i'm sure i can speak for others when i say that i look forward to these two DVDS. is there any more word on the release date? to actually view the readings, rather than merely listening, really brings home the sheer force of the person...literally awe-inspiring!
Well, I heard from Dennis a few minutes ago. Every distributor they tried declined to take on the readings.

So --- they are releasing them themselves.

Dennis is going to okay the remastered versions in the next week or two, then they are going to market them on BukowskiLive.com.

No details yet, and there's no site on that domain (they just registered it), but when I know more I'll post it. I would assume that this means they will be available within a few months.

But then I think I said that about a year ago, so...

Do you know if both readings will be available from that site?

Yes, both readings will be available. I'm not sure if they will release them as a set or individually. Their original plan was to release them individually, then as a box set with extras a year or so later. Now that they are doing it DIY those plans may have changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back