Greetings and salutations... (1 Viewer)

I was so excited to find that a forum such as this existed... If I would have been alive during Bukowski's days of womanizing I would have loved to have been one of his groupies. I wouldn't be exciting enough to have kept his attention though... I'm far too monogamous. Oh, well. I was introduced to Bukowski one year ago in my advanced English class with the poem "Eulogy for one hell of a dame," which remains to be my favorite poem of his, second only to "A smile to remember." A few months later I read Factotum and have been wildly infatuated with his work ever since.

mjp,
If I'm not mistaken, you mean the best movie of the year was Me You and Everyone We Know.....?
The first time I watched the thing I really wasn't sure if there was something about it I liked or disliked, so I had to watch it again. Sure enough, 2 times was enough. I truly hate to throw around that word "artsy" as I think its negative connotations have become a cliche, but I can't help it here. The dialogue was forced trying to exist within another dimension AND retain a sort of street grittiness at the same time. Its "provacative" scenes of sexuality were just as forced, and not necessarily because I can't imagine those things happening, but I can't imagine those kinds of girls being at all interested in the guys they played out their follies with....I'll stop with the ranting...

not trying to be antagonistic, but why did you like the thing so much?

(Wasn't sure about Happiness the first time I saw it either. 2nd time confirmed to me what a freaking masterpiece it is. M,YandEWK wishes it were Happiness, I think)

Last edited by a moderator:
hello all. this is my first time on these forums. one quick read and i was hooked.
Hello

Oh, well. I was introduced to Bukowski one year ago in my advanced English class with the poem "Eulogy for one hell of a dame," which remains to be my favorite poem of his, second only to "A smile to remember." A few months later I read Factotum and have been wildly infatuated with his work ever since.

You lucky thing, I had feminists (more man haters than true ones mind!) so none of them would have fed us any Buk (or Hemingway for that matter) so I had to find him later in life...he was hiding on an ex girlfriends bookshelf ;)
Anyway....hello and welcome to you

You lucky thing, I had feminists (more man haters than true ones mind!) so none of them would have fed us any Buk (or Hemingway for that matter)

Yeah, I've been lucky to have several exceptionally cool teachers during my educational career.

Just this afternoon in my art class I started sketching what will become a silk screen print of Bukowski from this photo:

bukowski029.jpg

I'll try to post the finished product at a later date, I'm really excited about its potential.

My teacher, as it turns out is a big fan of Bukowski as well and was impressed by my knowledge of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back