Greetings, Salutations, and Hello (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

My name is Ryan, and I've been reading Buk for a little over a year now (ever since watching Born Into This). I've not been able to begin collecting yet because I'm currently engaged in the time-honored profession of a broke-ass history grad student. Any suggestions on how and where to start? Anyway, I look forward to talking to everybody and happy new year.

Welcome, Zoso! What have you read so far? As for the novels and short stories, you can start anywhere, except for "Pulp", which you should leave for later on. As for the poem collections, "Burning In Water, Drowning In Flame", would be a good place to start. Another strong collection is, "Last Night Of The Earth Poems". Happy reading!

Novels in chronological order: Ham on rye, Factotum, Post office, Women, Hollywood, Pulp.

Welcome to the club.

...Any suggestions on how and where to start?

hey guys, I think he meant: where to start COLLECTING!

If so, I'd suggest to start with something that's
1) easy to find
2) not too expensive
3) very pleasing to have
in other words:

CRUCIFIX IN A DEATHHAND !

Crucifix is a good place to start collecting. They are still under priced, in my opinion. Then there are the New Year's Greetings. There you can add a lot of books for not too many dollars, but be aware that many of the New Years Greetings are between 1 and 5 poems and usually were printed in that year's poetry book, so you will not get that many poems.

Bill

sorry, BoS, I have to disagree here!
I don't think, the 'New Years Greetings' are so satisfactory for a starter.

I definitely think, a starter should aim for signed pieces!

They are much more expensive as 'New-Years-Greetinges' or 'rare periodicals' etc. - But being a small light in this sector myself, I must say: it is MUCH more satisfactory to own a SIGNED book, than just a rare whatever.

My first collectible was 'Crucifix' and that is simply AMAZING for a cat who's new to this.

Meanwhile I own some rare magazines or signed books as well - all of them more or less bought at reasonable prices (or given).
But my pride is still the next BIG thing I bought:

[since I knew, I'll Never be able to afford a COMPLETE collection anyway, I didn't start going for Every interesting piece.
Now, I had a signed, limited edition with 'Crucifix', and no need for another ''just'' signed + limited one.
The next step was (as some of you know)
]
A book limited to 26 (lettered + signed) with a tipped in PAINTING by Bukowski.

I, personally, would say, it's MUCH more interesting to have only ONE of these than some dozen of those magazines. (or 'NY-Greetings')

If someone is able to get deeper into collecting, it's a different thing. But when you say to yourself: I want one or two or three VERY SPECIAL pieces - I'd say, That's the way.

- but Zoso seems to be gone anyway ...

Read everything BUK; collect what turns you on.

And I "K" with Roni and Bill (hope I got that right - lol), Crucifix is way underpriced for such a work of publishing art. It Catches, too. Great books to put in the home library. Dust collectors of the finest sort. I'm damn lucky to have started collecting 20 years ago... It's all vintage bordeaux, there's really never a bad purchase "” and the more you hold onto it, the better it gets, and the value increases. In closing, if you buy what you dig, you will never be disappointed in your purchase. Trust your heart.

Pax,

homeless mind

Last edited by a moderator:
My name is Ryan
[...]

Welcome! Got into Tales of Ordinary Madness yet?

And... Zoso, as in... you're getting the Led out? Sweet. Kudos.

From back in the day:

167wg9c.jpg

Welcome!

sorry, BoS, I have to disagree here!
I don't think, the 'New Years Greetings' are so satisfactory for a starter.

I see your point. My thinking was that for $300 you can get a bunch of collectible books one, but it is all quantity vs. quality.

Bill

Haha! I haven't gotten to Tales of Ordianry Madness yet. Glad to meet a fellow ZepHead. Talk about unleashing the sonic fury of the gods. lol.

Thanks for all the greetings. I've been out of town and unplugged for the last week. In starting my collection, I would definitely like to begin small. I agree with homeless mind that there really is no bad purchase as long as I'm smart about it and I love what I have. Thnaks for your suggestions. Take it easy and happy new years.

Peace

Last edited by a moderator:
My name is Ryan
[...]

Great to see another newbie on the board! Welcome!

I just watched "Born Into This" again last night. It gets better every time.

I've read a lot of Buk's poetry books. So I recommend them all. I'm reading through "Pleasures of the Damned" right now and it's great. It collects a lot of previously uncollected stuff from the 50's up until before he died. Plus it's nice and thick. Guaranteed to be a satisfying read.

As for novels, I'm new to those. My first one will be "Factotum." That was recommended to me as a good place to start. Primarily because I have worked a string of blue-collar jobs like Buk himself.

Big Zep fan here too; however, I used to listen to the albums when they came out -- meaning, first releases, on vinyl. This may sound fucking lame, but there was nothing more exciting than putting down the needle on a new Zep 'bum, hearing the crackle from the cheap stereo (and needle) I owned back then, and waiting for the first song to play: cranked.

Pax,

homeless mind

Lolita Ginsoski

oh my god i wished i would have called myself something like stairway to heaven or whole lotta love...
nya ;)

welcome Page/Plant fan! yeah zep was a great band...i'm sad about Jon Bonham.is it true he died of his own vomit?

Hey, JM. LOL. Call in Dragnet dudes...

Here's the skinny straight from WIKI:

On September 25, 1980, John Bonham was picked up by Led Zeppelin assistant Rex King to attend rehearsals at Bray Studios for the upcoming tour of the United States, the band's first since 1977. During the journey Bonham had asked to stop for breakfast, where he downed four quadruple vodkas (roughly sixteen shots, amounting to about 2/3 imperial quart or 700 ml). He then continued to drink heavily when he arrived at the party. A halt was called to the rehearsals late in the evening and the band retired to Page's house, The Old Mill House in Clewer, Windsor. After midnight, Bonham had fallen asleep and was taken to bed and placed on his side. Benji LeFevre (who had replaced Richard Cole as Led Zeppelin's tour manager) and John Paul Jones found him dead the next afternoon.[7] Bonham was 32 years old.

Bonham's death may have officially ended Zeppelin, but I think the magic had been lost several years before. Between Page's heroin addiction, Plant's family problems, and Bonzo's drinking, the band was quietly imploding. Even if they had come back in the 80s, they would have been a shell of the band they were. I don't think the world wouuld have enjoyed another "In Through the Out Door." I mean, look at the Stones, they SUCKED in the 80s. While often a banal outlook, it is better to burn out than fade away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back