Greetings (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,

first of all, i want to apologize for my english. I'm German and i found you guys googling charles bukowski and this tv show californication which recently aired over here. Unfortunatly i can't deny the similarities and my first thought was.. mmh this show reminds me of chinanski. Although, after watching 3 episodes, i think it's an huge insult but that's probably another discussion.

I'm 21 and well-traveled (New Zealand, Australia, almost every European country and your lovely continent is gonna be next :cool:)
I'm currently majoring in English Philology and Law (so i'm constantly improving - hopefully) and i even consider writing my bachelor exam about buk. The first book i read was woman followed by pulp and hot water music. At the moment i'm trying to read war all the time but i am having a hard time understanding the poems, guess im working slowly my way through the book constantly translating.

mmh what else? ah guess what.. I'm listening to music ;)
i smoke, drink and am some kind of sociopath i guess. mosts people are just fuckin annoying me.

One question: Is it possible to get one of these FBI files if you ain't an american citizen? I mean it would kickass if i could use one of these files for my exam.

Welcome Marvel, You don't need to be an American citizen unless you want to run for President.
There are others here who are getting degrees using Bukowski, so you are right at home.

You're English is above average and good job posting in this thrad first.

Well, thank you for your quick response but i have still some questions left.

Can use the pre-written letter on this homepage if i am to use the file for my degree (i think is rather commercial use, isnt it?)? And how exactly am i supposed to pay the fee? Would stamp costs be enough to get it send overseas?

welcome Marvel.

the FBI files are on this site, on that menu in the upper left hand corner under the pic of Buk hugging his typer.

or click here.

enjoy the forum.

thank you, i know they are there :)

call me old fashioned but i rather get the files send officially then just printing them out. but you're right, i've plenty of time and shouldn't be rushing things, i'll work through them and by the time i will probably have figured out how to get em.

ah, right, gotcha.
I'm pretty sure under the FOIA, anyone can request the file, not just U.S. citizens.

12 Gauge Press published the FBI files. They were cleaned up a bit for ease of reading. The publisher died about a year ago, so the only place to get them would be on abe.

I would think that you would have to be a US citizen to request FBI documents under the "Freedom of Information Act".

Bill

12 Gauge Press published the FBI files. They were cleaned up a bit for ease of reading. The publisher died about a year ago, so the only place to get them would be on abe.
I would think that you would have to be a US citizen to request FBI documents under the "Freedom of Information Act".

from the FOIA website:
Under the FOIA, generally anyone can request access to any agency record. Privacy Act requests are more limited and can be made only by (a) U.S. citizens or aliens lawfully admitted for permanent U.S. residence, (b) who are seeking information about themselves, (c) which is in a system of records maintained under their names or other personal identifiers. Even if a request does not mention the Privacy Act, however, the Justice Department automatically treats requests as being made under both the FOIA and the Privacy Act whenever it is appropriate to do so. In this way, requesters receive the maximum amount of information available to them under the law.

and:
Fourth, what ultimately makes FOIA successful is its simplicity and accessibility to the public. Under FOIA, anyone can make a request for information. A person making a request does not have to show any particular need for the information, nor does the requester even have to be a U.S. citizen or resident. The only requirement for the request is that it must "reasonably describe" the records sought. Specific documents need not be identified; the requester may instead ask for any information pertaining to a particular subject.

but I have the 12 Gauge Press version, so it's a mute point with me ;).

There was a copy of the FBI files on ebay a few weeks ago. I'm not sure whether it sold or not, but it was less than $20 and comb-bound. Probably a bit over-priced since a copy can be had for next to nothing with a little work, but it may be an easier way to get it if that copy or another comes back on ebay.

not for me i'm afraid, probably the best way for me, would be an american requesting it and sending it over here. ive never bought anything on "your"(american) ebay and i dont have a credit card. i wouldn't know how to pay but i'll figure something out to get that file.

hoochs fourth quote clearly states that i should be able to get it. besides a copy is probably enough, it's just more fancy to have something official :cool:

1) You're English is very good.
2) I thought the same exact thing when I watched season 1 of Californication. I still love the show, haven't watched season 2 so far, waiting til it comes out on DVD. I think Hank is supposed to be based off of Bukowski. In the show, Karen even says her favorite author is Charles Bukowski. ;)
3) Welcome here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back