Guitars, basses and other noisemakers

Discussion in 'Movies, music, TV, art' started by mjp, Jul 5, 2014.

1. How much did you pay for those slabs? They are impressive.

I always wonder what those guys on the floor at Gibson thought when they were making those guitars. The V and Explorer. They must have thought the bosses had gone off the deep end.

Yeah, a '79 Les Paul can be had for what you'd pay for a new Les Paul, so they're very reasonable.

I watch every '79 Deluxe that comes up on eBay and a couple other sites, because I'm sure that one day I'll have a chance to buy back the guitar I used in my punk rock days. Ha ha. Actually I know I will never have that chance, but if I do see it, I'll be able to recognize it because of a distinctive crack and the two holes I drilled into the top below the tailpiece to mount a metal BOYS TOWN winged emblem.

Funny, I sold that guitar to a guy who used to come to Los Angeles in an RV and buy up all the guitars in the Recycler (that broke musicians were selling to pay the rent) and take them back to his store in Las Vegas, so I was surprised to see it show up a few months later in some house band on an MTV show. But one day she will be mine again! ;)

Isn't that the truth. I often wonder who is buying all the new guitars, but I suppose it's kids who don't even consider buying an old instrument.

Then again, maybe no one is buying them. I read some articles recently about the "collapse" of the electric guitar market, because the kids don't care anymore. If they don't (and I'm not sure that's true), it's because all their rock stars now are so bland and ordinary that they would hardly inspire a young kid to try to become a rock star. What's the point when they all look like they work at Starbucks or a bicycle shop or at H&R Block.

And just to prove that if you can remember it, the Internet can show it to you, here's the Boys Town emblem:

boystown.jpg

2. I think I got six slabs for $700, maybe less. I had to sell three of them and I got $500 each. They sold quickly. I have three left and hopefully some day I'll get around to making the Explorers and Vees. The wood for the neck is easy to source, as is the Brazilian rosewood for the fretboard. I'm thinking of making two with the hockey stick headstock and one with the split headstock.

Hockey stick

explorer.jpg
    8-4548Explorer-Skinnera.jpg

Split headstock

split haedstock.jpg

3. I think they made the original 40 Explorers as a novelty to give away to their biggest retailers across the country. I don't think anyone thought this would become a coveted iconic guitar. They had no faith in the Burst but they made around 1700 of those. These -- they made 40 total. I did hear that there was one laying around the Gibson factory for many years. It belonged to an employee who left it behind. Eventually someone realized how valuable they had become and snapped it up. Just rumor and mythology but I've heard that story many times. These guitars are the most faked of them all. Be vary wary if someone tries to sell you one. People with originals used to sell a fake guitar with a real case. The case is very very rare so people thought if the case was correct then the guitar is good. Now a real case is almost a dead giveaway of a fake guitar.

4. Speaking of "old blanks," the Fender custom shop will now make you a Telecaster with a body that used to be a Hollywood bowl bench...

fender-HB.jpg

And it's only $12,000!

A couple of the articles I've read claim the bench wood is 100 years old, but the bench seats they tore out in 2014 (which I assume these are) were installed in 1981, so the wood is really 36 (or so) years old. The original 1922 seats were replaced in 1958. I doubt anyone has been storing the 1922 benches for 59 years, but who knows...

5. Anyone who would take that Boys town tag off an old deluxe is a damn fool. I bet it's still on there.

I love that Hollywood bowl guitar, but it looks like that seam could become a problem. How many did they make? Is it laminate or solid?

6. I'm guessing it's a Custom Shop item, so they may not have made many at this point.

7. Seems like the whole thing could become a problem because it's cedar. But aside from that, they didn't resurface the wood, so I think if you played it you'd have to keep a tweezers in the case to pull all the splinters out of your forearm. Seems like it's more for show than playing.

They didn't say how many, and I think I read that it's solid, but I can't find that article now. Once I saw $12,000 I stopped looking for more details. That's a lot of money for something rubbed by a thousand asses.

8. That's almost as bad as the Clapton "Beano" Burst custom shop aged re-issue of Clapton's sunburst that he owned for less than a year in 1966, was stolen, never recovered and he didn't even remember what it looked like or what year it was (58/59/60). The only thing he could remember was it had a thin neck, so people assumed it was a 1960 Sunburst. 1960's often have a slim neck compared to 58s and 59s. They made it like those other aged re-issues that have every ding and mark of other people's famous guitars that they actually had in hand to copy. So it's a mark for mark copy of a guitar that they didn't have in hand and nobody on earth remembers what it looked like. They sold for $6-10k new.
    http://www.gibson.com/Products/Elec...Gibson-Custom/Eric-Clapton-1960-Les-Paul.aspx

9. I don't know why Gibson insists on doing those replicas of famous people's guitars. They did one for Bob Marley and it didn't even look like his Special. The color was so far off -- everything just felt "off." They missed the mark everywhere.

Well, I guess I know why they make those things: because people buy them. Collectors I guess. They keep them in their wine cellars. I don't think any working musicians are buying those things.

Purple Stickpin likes this.