Gypsy Lou Webb (1 Viewer)

bospress.net

www.bospress.net
Hi,
I watched the great film about Loujon and decided to share a couple interesting items with the group. Below are two kinda cool items. The one of Lou is from a magazine article about her. The other one is an original photograph of Lou collating books, taken by Jon and sent to Henry Miller. I bought it from the Miller archives along with some other photos of Loujon. Jon's handwriting is on the reverse. This has probably not been published anywhere before now. I'm not sure if the negatives remain, so this may be the only copy...

lou1.jpg

lou2.jpg

Bill

thanks for posting this, bill. i wish you could tip it to some nice paper and letter press that nice description on it, and issue it as a limited edition of 10, with me getting one of them before it sells out. $40. whadda ya say?

anyway, very cool.

I'd publish it and send all the money to Lou, but I'm not sure that the photo is the quality that you would need to do something like this...

Bill

I'd publish it and send all the money to Lou, but I'm not sure that the photo is the quality that you would need to do something like this...
Well, a high resolution scan could be cleaned up --

GypsyLouWebb.jpg

But yeah, it looks like an instamatic picture, so there isn't a lot of detail on the film to begin with, so it's unlikely you could get something that would print nicely.

But as a look into the heart of what they were doing, it's priceless. I have often tried to explain to people what it's like to face a mountain of loose paper and have the job of making it into something (15 years as a printer and bindery worker), but I can never explain it as well as a picture can. This and another picture from the documentary, where they are standing in front of hundreds of unbound books, say more than words ever could. ;)

And Bill, you are probably correct about it being the only copy and the negative being long gone. Even if the negative does exist, the instamatic film was not high quality and the colors tend to fade over time.

imagine having a photo of Michaelangelo painting the Sistine Chapel.

Can you read what is written, Bill?

"Gypsy collating book
________ pages
printed"

I also have others including a photo of gypsy's dog, Tina standing on a stack of wood that was to me made into the ultra-deluxe edition of the Miller book. This was the only one of Lou, though. The others are of the books in production...

Bill

I much prefer the picture before its "cleaned up"..its got soul and looks like a painting by a genius ..someone who knows the power of black bleeding into brown..
Thanks Bill for your generous nature and your unrelenting greed..Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back