Hank forever ! (1 Viewer)

Ambreen

Sordide Sentimental
Hello everybody,

First of all, I apologize for my sometimes approximate english but the fact is I am a frenchie who does not really have occasions to practice this language anymore.

Let rapidly introduce myself : I am a 25 years old young woman from pakistani origins born and living in France (near Paris). After having lost myself in law studies, I am now studying publishing, hoping to find a job before the end of the year in a cool publishing house.

Why does Bukowski represent so much to me ? Because he has radically changed my vision of life. I discovered him a little more than two years ago by reading his famous Erections, ejaculations, exhibitions and general tales of ordinary madness. It was the first time I read such crude and coarse words but instead of being chocked and disgusted, I was totally fascinated, hypnotized, "dazed and confused" by their accuracy and their specific beauty. His stories are horrible but they do not lie, Buk never tried to embellish or conceal the truth, he wanted it to explode at the reader's face like an uppercut ; his books hurt but what an agreeable sensation I feel being hurt like that ! What I find fabulous is how he has succeeded into magnifying the misfits portrayed in his books, rendering them beautiful and humane, becoming a kind of spokesman for the skid row and its inhabitants, conferring them some recognition. I will never stop being amazed by his talent and his humanity.

By the way, are there other French fans here ? I am quite desappointed by the absence of any French forum focusing on the dirty old man...but this one is very complete and will make me work my english !

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice introduction, Ambreen.
Welcome.
Your English is fine, (I'm a dutchie... so I know what you're talking about.)

I believe we have a French member on buknet but I forgot his nick name.

Welcome to the forum, Ambreen! - Which Buk books have you read so far besides "Erections..."?

Thank you for welcoming me !

Ponder > I hope this french member will soon manifest himself !

Bukfan > After this one, I have read :
-Erections, ejaculations, exhibitions and general tales of ordinary madness 2
-Pulp
-Women
-Notes of a dirty old man
-Love is a dog fromhell 1 and 2
-Ham on rye
-South of no north
-Factotum
-Hollywood
-The captain is out to lunch and the sailors have taken over the ship
-Bring me your love
-a book of letters
-Charles Bukowski: Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life, the biography written by Howard Sounes

The following one I am planning to read is The days run away like wild horses over the hills, which has only released in France last year.

Don't ask me which is my favourite ! It's impossible to answer !

I have also watched the movie Factotum and the documentary Born into this. In France, this latter is available with a second dvd containing the whole literary TV broadcast that makes Bukowski become famous in France. He indeed was invited to take part to this broadcast (called Apostrophes) in 78 and he drank so much during it (did he bring his own bottles or had they been given to him by the TV staff, that is the question) that he began acting like a fool and was taken out of the stage. The next day, every newspapers talked about it, that is how Buk was known by french people. But I suppose you must know this anecdote.

Because he has radically changed my vision of life.
I realize that this sentence can sound a little simple. I will thus complete it by adding that being fond of literature, I have strong likings for a lot of writers but no one has shaken my values and my convictions as Buk has. He is constantly present in my mind and has a positive influence on the course of my life. Bukowski, what else ? :D

Then you've read a good bunch of Buk books, Ambreen! I've got the Apostrophe DVD too. It only came with the French version of Born Into This, but us Buk nuts found a way to get hold of it;)
You need to watch the "Barfly" movie one day. It's funnier than "Factotum", maybe because Buk wrote the script. I did like "Factotum" too. A lot of people don't like it, but I think it wasn't too bad, although it's a very slow movie.

Bienvenue, Ambreen.

I hope you find that job in publishing. I used to work as an in-house editor (in a very dull and technical field) and still do some editing on the side. I hear that, with the economy in the toilet, things are pretty tight.... What's it like in France? Ah, but for the good old days.

I think that, next to anglos, there are more German speakers here. But Black Swan is a québécoise.

Do you have any recommendations for new, upcoming French writers? I know some Buk fans like Houellebecq.

Welcome Ambreen!

I'm moving to Saarbrücken in a couple of months, capital of the Saarland.
The smallest land in the republic with France directly next to it.
Paris is only about 400 km from Saarbrücken and there's a train driving to France on a daily base. I'm really looking forward to that french touch in Saarbrücken with bistros, art galleries, music venues and most of all, a far more relaxed and friendly sort of people.

Have fun and enjoy everything in here.

Post Toxic

Thank you for reassuring me about my english, hoochmonkey9 !

You need to watch the "Barfly" movie one day. It's funnier than "Factotum", maybe because Buk wrote the script. I did like "Factotum" too. A lot of people don't like it, but I think it wasn't too bad, although it's a very slow movie.
Of course I will watch it ! For a good reason : I adore Mickey Rourke ! And according to what I have read, it is Buk's favourite adaptation (with the Belgian film Crazy Love).
Concerning Factotum, I also found its rhythm slow but it did not disturb me. And Matt Dillon was a good Chinaski (but still too beautiful for such a role).

Welcome! I also see that you are a Nick Cave fan. There are a bunch of us on this board too!
Oh really ? Great ! Nick Cave is one of my musical God. Last year, he gave a gig in one of the most renowned parisian concert hall (the Olympia). I didn't go and I still regret not being there.

Bienvenue, Ambreen.
I hope you find that job in publishing. I used to work as an in-house editor (in a very dull and technical field) and still do some editing on the side. I hear that, with the economy in the toilet, things are pretty tight.... What's it like in France? Ah, but for the good old days.

I think that, next to anglos, there are more German speakers here. But Black Swan is a québécoise.

Do you have any recommendations for new, upcoming French writers? I know some Buk fans like Houellebecq.
In France, publishing houses unfortunately propose more internships than jobs. And if you want to make money, it is not the good area to work in.
I do not read a lot of french contemporary literature, I prefer the classical writers and the great figures of the 20th century. If you want some suggestions among theses ones, do not hesitate ;)
Houellebecq has totally disappointed me. I found his first books good, but celebrity seriously damages his brain, he became megalomaniac and it had bad effects on his writing, his last books are total pieces of shit.
There is a writer influenced by Bukowski named Philippe Djian. His first success is titled '37°2 le matin', I have just seen the movie {a.k.a. Betty Blue} which also was very successful and I indeed found a lot of bukowskian elements, in the plot such as in the atmosphere. Maybe you could try this book if you find it.

Thank you, Post Toxic !

Of course I will watch it ! For a good reason : I adore Mickey Rourke ! And according to what I have read, it is Buk's favourite adaptation (with the Belgian film Crazy Love).

Buk thought "Barfly" wasn't done quite right, and that Chinaski (Mickey Rourke) looked too bedraggled. His favorite adaptation was the Belgian film, "Crazy Love". I like all the adaptations for different reasons...

Welcome Ambreen. Nice avatar. I had a Live Like a Suicide poster back in the day. What do you think of Chinese Democracy? (The Album):rolleyes:

Buk thought "Barfly" wasn't done quite right, and that Chinaski (Mickey Rourke) looked too bedraggled. His favorite adaptation was the Belgian film, "Crazy Love". I like all the adaptations for different reasons...
I thought he was globally satisfied of the result, compared to his reticence at the beginning of the project. The film he really hated was Ferreri's one.

Welcome Ambreen. Nice avatar. I had a Live Like a Suicide poster back in the day. What do you think of Chinese Democracy? (The Album):rolleyes:
I love roses in general and Guns N' fuckin' Roses in particular.
I have not tried Chinese Democracy. Guns N' Roses doesn't exist anymore, sad but true. I prefer remembering the good old days, I would have given so much to attend one of their concerts and see Axl getting mad like that :
:D

I have a question : who created this website ? An association ? A fan all by himself ? Hank's ghost ?
And is it an official one ?

Chinese Democracy? ain't half bad if you are a GNR fan.
I picked it up on sale, checking out at the register @ Best Buy for $9.99...again, worth a listen. You can hear the entire album free at their myspace site.

Who are your fav French poets?

I've got a bunch. But Rimbaud and Baudelaire top my list. You dig?

Les Fleurs Du Mal is parked near the top of my all-time fav poems...

Pax

I know that the album can be heard on their site but I am not tempted.

Yes, I of course love Rimbaud and Baudelaire but I prefer the english romantic poets. My favorite french poet is Victor Hugo.

Welcome Ambreen!
I believe we all have Mr. MJP to thank for creating this wonderful website. He may appear soon and recount the story himself.
Since you live in France, I wonder if you have read E.M Cioran, the Romanian writer who lived in Paris. I am just reading a biography of him and I adore his writing. Very much like Bukowski in his bitter, sharp, acid, perfect sentences.

Welcome to the forum, Ambreen!

I've never heard Bukowski described from a viewpoint such as yours. He has had a very stark and fresh effect on you, it seems.

I thought he was globally satisfied of the result, compared to his reticence at the beginning of the project. The film he really hated was Ferreri's one.

I remember Buk said in an interview about "Barfly", "It was kind of mis-done". Perhaps some of the other members here have something to add.
Yes, he certainly did'nt like Gazzara's performance in Ferreri's "Tales of Ordinary Madness". I don't like the film either.

I think that Bukowski liked Barfly, liked Rourke, until he was persuaded otherwise. Basing this on what he says in Hollywood and letters. But my opinion is not guaranteed. Or, your mileage may vary ;)

You may want check out a book of his letters called,"Living On Luck". This can show more about him as well. Another book of his for you would be,"The Last Night Of The Earth Poems". I have copies of both. So what was it from Bukowski that made you into a fan? Was it one of his poems that did it?

Thank you for the link, Hank Solo ! I will read it carefully, curious as I am of knowing how all this began.

David, I have not read Cioran yet and I really know very little about him, just being aware of his cynical and pessimistic point of view. I know one title which I find so beautiful : Sur les cimes du désespoir.

Welcome to the forum, Ambreen!
I've never heard Bukowski described from a viewpoint such as yours. He has had a very stark and fresh effect on you, it seems.
Definitely !

You may want check out a book of his letters called,"Living On Luck". This can show more about him as well. Another book of his for you would be,"The Last Night Of The Earth Poems". I have copies of both. So what was it from Bukowski that made you into a fan? Was it one of his poems that did it?
Thank you for your suggestions but I'm not sure to find them all in France.
My first bukowskian reading has had enough impact on me to make me become a fan right away. I considered him as a genius as soon as I finished the first short story of Erections..., i.e.The most beautiful woman in town.

btw:
There's a bunch of GAINSBOURG-fans here too.
Well, I know he is a myth but I am not touched by him, I know a few of his most famous songs and that's all. I prefer french rock to "chanson française". But I have a strong inclination for his daughter, the actress Charlotte Gainsbourg, who released an excellent album in 2006, called 5:55.

But I have a strong inclination for his daughter, the actress Charlotte Gainsbourg, who released an excellent album in 2006, called 5:55.

she was very good in I'm Not There and The Science of Sleep. I haven't heard her music, but will search it out.

The science of sleep is my favourite Gondry's film, it is one of the funniest films I have seen in these last years !

She recorded her disc with the help of some musical references such as Nigel Godrich, Jarvis Cocker, Air and Neil Hannon. But she didn't give concerts, she only sang in a few tv programms.

Some videos :

The songs that we sing

Everything I cannot see

5:55

The science of sleep is my favourite Gondry's film, it is one of the funniest films I have seen in these last years !

I was surprised by the mediocre reviews this film got by critics. I thought it was a little masterpiece.

In France, reviews were good (as it is always the case when a Gondry film releases) and the film was successful. The actor Alain Chabat is very appreciated. I personally didn't like him till this film, where he made me laugh at every scene in which he appears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back