hanks last great collection! (1 Viewer)

I have finally decided to give up the treasures of a 35 year collection of bukowski's work. PBA Galleries will be auctioning off my 30 quest to collect everything Bukowski until fatigue caught up with me. Anyone that thinks that 1000 magazine appearence will be anything near complete a delusional. Hank sent poems to 3-4000 mags and most published anything with his name on it after 1970. Any questions let me know what I can do to help in your quest.
Most of the rarest items are there.
Thomas Groff

Anyone that thinks that 1000 magazine appearence will be anything near complete a delusional. Hank sent poems to 3-4000 mags and most published anything with his name on it after 1970.
I defer to the knowledge you must have gained during your 30 or 35 year quest, but are you basing your "3-4000 mags" statement on magazines in your collection, or are you guessing?

Here on the forum, "Over 1000 magazine appearances" means 1000 different magazines, not 1000 poems, but maybe that isn't clear. I can see how someone could read it either way. Anyway, it's just an estimate based on what's known to me with a couple hundred tacked onto the number for good measure (which is probably too many, but again, it's just an estimate).

If there are 3 or 4000 different magazines that published Bukowski's work, I'd sure like to see that list. That seems like a ridiculously high number to me. cirerita, if I'm wrong, set me straight.

3-4000 seems a bit too much. I would say 2000 or so. You just can't imagine the number of missing entries in Fogel's!

I, for one, would love to see that list. Anyway, I'm gonna mention just a few names. Let us know if you have them:

Rant #1
Northern Pleasure #1 and #2
Big Hammer
Heaven Bone

Thomas,

I just read the description of all the items listed, and there's only one mag I've never heard of before: Palantir (1982)

Besides, you haven't listed 3-4000 mag appearaces. Where is the rest?

3-4000 seems a bit too much. I would say 2000 or so. You just can't imagine the number of missing entries in Fogel's!
I didn't use Fogel as a source for the database because he doesn't list contents. Without contents, a database listing is kind of pointless.

Having said that, I'm always looking for new additions, and I rarely find any that aren't already in the list. That's why I estimated 1000 different magazine appearances. If your uber-index has more info, feel free to dump it on my doorstep and I will dump it into the new database.

Rant was a great little mag. Why are you asking about it? Is it rare? I have a few copies around but I don't think I have a #1.

Because B appeared in #1, that's why, and that #1 is pretty hard-to-find. Not even the editor, Alfred Vitale, has extra copies because they were all lost in a flood... there, you have another myth a la Going Modern and Fencing with the Shadows.

Vitale is a good guy, very intense and passionate. I liked Rant. I liked a lot of those old mags that seemed to disappear like the Dodo the minute the internet was born.

Of course the independent press is still alive and kicking at the bars! http://guerillapoetics.org

yeah, those were the days!

00103.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back