Harold Norse Memorial (1 Viewer)

Had a great time yesterday at The Beat Museum's memorial for Harold Norse hearing old war stories from A.D. Winans,Linda King and Neeli Cherkovski...of course,Hank was brought up a few times...picked up a cool book from when a collector named Thomas Groff auctioned off his Buk collection through PBA galleries from a couple years ago...the front cover alone with hank pumping gas into his VW was worth the price though I laughed when I saw that gas was 56 cents a gallon when the picture was taken...apparently Groff had over 200 items up for auction...that would have been cool to see...did anybody else go to the memorial yesterday?

The Groff auction at PBA was a bust. He sold all of his books for far below what they were worth (about half in most cases). I was one of the happy bidders to get a $400 book for $175 and I had been trying to get a copy like it for a decade. I bid online with their live bidding. It was amazing to watch!

Bill

then I definitely missed out...it was mentioned yesterday about a book of letters between Buk and Norse that Linda first signed off on,but then later changed her mind so it never got published...any word why and if it will ever see the light of day?

All the Assholes for $172 is a perfect example of the bloodbath that I witnessed that day. If only I had a few thousand dollars in hand. I remember a hardback signed 1st of THE DAYS RUN AWAY that sold for a couple hundred, if I remember correctly. Every bit of a $700 book and it went for about a third of that...

Bill

I think I'm gonna cry..haha...reminds me of when I went up to Santa Rosa a few weeks ago and the proprietor of a bookstore I was in saw my Buk tattoo so she told me of when Black Sparrow brought in boxes of books...some were signed by Hank,but since he didn't always sign them in the front of the book the buyer (not her) didnt know they were signed so they got sold for less than $20 each though she was fortunate to get some for her own collection...wrong place wrong time for me I guess...I'm more of a fan than a collector so I wasn't too bummed,but still...

...[snip]...the front cover alone with hank pumping gas into his VW was worth the price though I laughed when I saw that gas was 56 cents a gallon when the picture was taken...[snip]...

Gas was 21 cents a gallon when I was in college. Which was about all I could afford at the time.

...the buyer (not her) didnt know they were signed so they got sold for less than $20 each...wrong place wrong time for me I guess...
Bukowski regularly went into Williams in San Pedro, Baroque Books in Hollywood and the big chain store at the Palos Verdes mall (I don't remember which brand it was) and signed all his books that were on the shelf without telling anyone. Linda said he did that whenever they went to a bookstore anywhere (she also mentioned Book Soup in Hollywood as a less frequent target). So there are a lot of little easter eggs out there.

Though I would guess that quite a few people were mad about someone ruining their book with a fake signature when they discovered it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back