Hello From the U.K!! (1 Viewer)

Hello all the way from Oxford England.

Just wanted to say hello to everyone, Am new to reading Bukowski. Got into his stuff bye chance after hearing his name mentioned in a song by Sage Francis.

You guys all seem pretty cool and his writing has blown me away for the past two days.

Currently feeling Ham on Rye and will follow the up with Post Office

I'm as poor as a church mouse, that's just had an enormous tax bill on the very day his wife ran off with another mouse, taking all the cheese

I'm as poor as a church mouse, that's just had an enormous tax bill on the very day his wife ran off with another mouse, taking all the cheese
Welcome churchmouse!
But watch out - there are some nasty cats in here...;)
In exactly what song does Sage Francis mention Bukowski?

welcome babe.
You'll like it here.
Good choice to start reading Buk!

When I was in Oxford in 1995, it was raining all the time and I found no decent place to sleep ("This is PRIVATE PROPERTY!!!").
But I'm a fan of Edward Burne-Jones and Charles Dodgson.

I remembered the name of that hotel where they filmed "Inspector Morse" whichi I had forgotten in a recent post when I was complaining about Brit cuisine and where I stayed during a conference held at Oxford and where they presented me with a very odd lambchop during dinner--the Randolph. Anyway, they did have a cool bookstore around the corner with a special Buk section. Jolly jolly well done, spot on, keep the aspidistra flying!

"Got Up This Morning" by Sage Francis

from Human the Death Dance (2007)

Sage Francis, a Rhode Island-based hip-hop artist, alludes to the Los Angeles-based novelist and poet on this track about a relationship with a well-read woman. He writes:

She dangled that carrot then asked me: "What would Bukowski do?" / Oh don't go there / He'd make you his mom and then completely lie about it in a book later on

nope straight up, he is amazing and the term Hip Hop does not do him justice.

As for the Hotel in Oxford,Iv been a few times to the Randolph, Its supposed to be the nicest hotel in Oxford but i prefer the Oxford Prison Hotel.

not often does one get to hear ginsberg and bukowski mentioned in the same rap song. truth be told, couldn't listen after the buk line. was curious. but my roots are more rock, blues, classical, jazz (not jazzy jeff, please, no spam); and rap after nwa lost something - (fill in the blank, as dr dre was a master at his craft). i'd have to listen to more to make an informed opinion, but won't. it may be good, great. that's up to others to decide....

Welcome aboard, Upsetmonkey! - I liked the Sage Francis melody. That's a very nice blues tune...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome upsetmonkey this is nice here.

That music you are promoting sounds more like riverboat music or Creedence than anything else. A singer needs to have a very strong voice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back