Help a curious UCLA student out? (1 Viewer)

Hi all, I'm writing a short essay for a class on Los Angeles poetry about the usage of "vulgarity" in Bukowski's writing. I noticed a similarity between Buk's ethos and that of the European politi-art group Situationist International, and was wondering if anyone would know whether or not Bukowski would have known about or been in any form of contact with them?

He would have known about them, but I don't think he would have had much interest in them. He wasn't a joiner, you know, and I think the only revolution he was interested in was personal.

Alright, cool. good to know.
not so much for my paper, but out of interest, if he was only interested in a personal revolution, why did he publish? just to make a living?

Doing what you want to do rather than what you have to do is personal revolution. So I'm not sure I understand your question. I didn't go to UCLA though, so I may never understand your questions.

Also those are just my opinions. Maybe he was a closet Situationist - got the newsletter and carried a card in his wallet. While anything is possible, my opinion is based on the fact that it would have been very out of character for him.

haha I'm totally with you, mjp, it's all good. I was just wondering if maybe along with the goal of doing what you want to do, shunning the 9-5 and such, publishing was a way of sharing these personal revelations? just seemed to go hand in hand -- like why publish if you only care about doing the writing to revolutionize yourself?

I agree that he probably wasn't a situationist, but i do like the idea that aspects of his writing could disorient a reader enough to make them recognize some hidden ideology that's been running his or her life - why do we consider certain things vulgar, can we address anything at all in writing, that sort of thing.

thanks for the help!

I would guess that to express or reveal oneself as a writer or a painter or as anything else you may be good at or do,
does not necessarily mean that you are out to start a revolution or change the world.
You do it for the fulfillment of oneself. If it pays the bills, you're in luck.
I think that Bukowski was surprised that writing eventually paid his bills.
That's what I think.

Aren't we all just closest Situationists at heart? No shame in that Buk. John Martin was a Situationist as well, but only certain situations...the rest had to be edited down to nothing.

I agree that he probably wasn't a situationist, but i do like the idea that aspects of his writing could disorient a reader enough to make them recognize some hidden ideology that's been running his or her life - why do we consider certain things vulgar, can we address anything at all in writing, that sort of thing.
Just finishing Introducing Aesthetics: A Graphic Guide by C. Kul-Want--I like some of the books in this illustrated "Introducing" series--and found a few pages on Debord.

Debord.jpg

Debord-2.jpg

Debord-3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back