Hilarious sentence from "Pulp" (1 Viewer)

So, I've finally gotten around to reading Pulp but for professional, not personal enjoyment reasons: I'm citing it in an essay for Pop Matters deconstructing some French lit theory (chiefly, Barthes' Death of the Author theory).

Found this hilarious sentence in Chapter Four:

"The pilots of airliners (are) crazy. Never look at the pilot. Just get on board and order drinks."

There are many more. I found Pulp to be his best written work. It compares to a Roberto Durans style of boxing: After twelfth round he's as fresh as after the first!

i'd be interested in what you have to say about barthes (and how bukowski relates...). barthes is one of my favorite theorists, and one of the only ones i go back to and still read after having left grad school.

conversation between Lady Death and Nick Belane (Death talks first):

"...I'm not in love with you."
- "But you always seem to be hanging around me, Lady."
- "I hang around everybody, Nick, you are just more aware of me."
- "Yeah. Yeah."

LMAO i just finished it yesterday and i recall that line.
although that by no means beats the part where he's talking to the phone sex line girl

I had to put my reading of "Pulp" aside momentarily to concentrate on research for the upcoming 50th anniversary of Nabokov's "Lolita" (August) but so far I have found the book to be nothing more or less than a witty and almost never sullen meditation by the author upon his own impending passing. On that level alone, "Pulp" is rather unique.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back