how did bukowski feel about fixies? (1 Viewer)

jordan

lothario speedwagon
i'm wondering if the organic simplicity of fixed-gear bicycles appealed to bukowski or not. i think hank's writing is so matter of fact that he would have found a kindred spirit in the matter of fact way a fixed gear drivetrain operates. do you think he would have worn a helmet? definitely not, right?

No helmet.
No fixies.

Buk was a downhill man. Fully sprung, discs front and back. Down the hill at 70mph. Screaming the whole way. "Riding up hill is for chumps" he was heard to say.

i know, but fixies are like, so cool, and buk is so cool too, so it's like, why wouldn't they go together?

not sure bout the fixies thing dudes, but I'm pretty sure buk traveled with helmet and spandex. and bro "J"'s right, Buks like so fucking cool!!!!!:cool::cool::cool::D:D

Buk bike for the Tour de LA. Cart for beer to hammer 'em down, fuk yea!

bike1.jpg

Wasn't he writing in a poem somewhere how he hated non-fixed gears to death, because he couldn't figure out how to deal with them? I think it was an earlier poem from the famous 'cool hipster me'-collection.

I'm glad Bukowski was not a bike rider. I bet he never bought enough in a grocery store to warrant using a shopping cart. Just a bag with beer, wine and a steak. The smokes go into the shirt pocket.

He did work in that bicycle factory/shop in the movie "Factotum." But I really wonder how Buk felt about Elliot carrying E.T. on his bike basket across the moon. Maybe another thread I guess.

I bet if Bukowski were thirsty enough, and a bike would be the only thing to get him what he needed, he would have taken the ride! A wobbly one, that is.
I know, I did. ;))
Ponder, too!

Let's not forget, for years he carried mail in an awesome messenger bag and drank Pabst Blue Ribbon too.

Was he, in fact, the archetype for or the antecedent of today's pomo hipster? Someone should spend a year (or two or three) of their life writing a thesis on that compelling hypothesis.

Henry Miller was a bike guy, when he wasn't pulling a donkey cart up and down hills naked. Bukowski was a 12 year old beater car with a dying battery guy. Bikes were too metro for him.

Let's not forget, for years he carried mail in an awesome messenger bag and drank Pabst Blue Ribbon too.

Was he, in fact, the archetype for or the antecedent of today's pomo hipster? Someone should spend a year (or two or three) of their life writing a thesis on that compelling hypothesis.
You are correct. My daughter's boyfriend drinks the Pabst. Pomo hipster exactly.
Reminds me of a dirty hippie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back