Howdy from Denver CO (1 Viewer)

Hey all --

Seems like the proper thing to do to say hallo before going crazy all over the boards. I've been lurking for a while now to get a feel of things....

Anyhoo -- I live in Denver, CO, originally from upstate NY. I co-own a little used bookshop here -- Kilgore Books -- and I've been reading Bukowski for a while now. I'll be 100% honest, I got into Bukowski via Mickey Rourke. When I was a kid my older brother loved Angel Heart, and being a 12-year old fan of the Cosby Show, I was more than intrigued. We dug Rourke so checked out Barfly, which led me to the library to do some research and boom, I got hooked.

I fell away from his stuff for a while, then in my mid-20's found a copy of Fante's '1933 was a bad year' in a shop in SF and fell in love with it. Couple years later, I moved to Denver and was chatting with a friend about Fante. He's a big Buk collector and it rekindled my interest. A couple years after that me and that pal opened up Kilgore, and well, here I am!

Nice to meet you all --
Dan

I'm paraphrasing here but I think Gerard said it best when he said you have a place here if you like Bukowski. Do go crazy on the board - I need the company.:)

Hey Dan, I just moved out to Eagle, CO, from New Jersey. I've been to some of the bigger used book stores in Denver, including Hermitage, but never Kilgore. I'll have to check it out, and welcome on board!

Eagle's great! I've hung out there and in Gypsum a little -- good places. Yah, next time you come down, we're at Washington and 13th in Cap Hill. We always try to have a decent amount of the good stuff on the shelves -- not as fancy as Hermitage, which is a great shop too. Also, check out Fahrenheit's down on Broadway - outside of our place, they're my favorite shop in Denver.

You guys should see about carrying some books by people like Bottle of Smoke Press, Chance Press, Mike Magazine, BukScene...

just sayin...

Bill

p.s. hopefully I didn't miss anyone...

I agree with Bill, they could also carry the newly established Milk Poetry Magazine, as well as some works by David Barker or David Calonne, or even Hosh. I know that I'd make the drive tomorrow if this happened. And Dan I will def. stop by Kilgore and Fahrenheit in the near future.

Yah, I've been meaning to get in touch with Bill about carrying some BoS stuff -- Bill, I'll get in touch off list to chat about this -- would be psyched to have you in the shop. I'll also def. check out the other recommendations -- thanks!

Welcome Kilgore. I've been kicked in the ass by a summer cold the last few days, so I was watching old VHS videos, and finished "John Elway: Champion Forever" a few hours ago. Then I saw your hello from Denver! So anyway, glad to have you on the boards, and no matter how ya got turned on to Buk, it's all good in the end!

Welcome kilgore. I have family in Denver and also Broomfield. Odds are that a visit out West may happen sometime and if it does, I will certainly visit the store.

Oh - and thanks for Jay Cutler. The all-time interceptions record will now be in the NFC instead of the AFC.
Thank you. Thank you so much.

Kilgore Books is now carrying a nice selection of books from Bottle of Smoke Press. Stop by and support the independent bookstores.

Nicely done Bill, that didnt take too long. I can save on some shipping now, which means even MORE BoSP releases for me.

I live in Denver, CO, originally from upstate NY. I co-own a little used bookshop here -- Kilgore Books -- and I've been reading Bukowski for a while now...

Hey Dan:

You've got a nice shop on 13th. I live within pissing distance of The Mayan, FWIW. Fahrenheit's is definitely the best shop on the Broadway strip, although I dig the vibe at Mutiny Now. I was born in western NY and spent my first six years there before moving to The Motor City. My girl's job got us out to Denver in the spring of '07. Best 3.5 years of my life - no bullshit. I often describe the move as a physical and spiritual "jailbreak".

Life is too short to not live in Colorado, no?

Papi

Hey Papi -- thanks for the kind words! Yah, I love Bill & Fahrenheit's. And Denver is such a great unsung jewel. Say hi next time you come in!

Zenguru -- Born in Syracuse, lived in Earlville (pop 996), which is 1/2 way between Syracuse and Binghamton. Went to Bard College in the Hudson Valley, then in 95 went a-wanderin'.

Zenguru -- Born in Syracuse, lived in Earlville (pop 996), which is 1/2 way between Syracuse and Binghamton. Went to Bard College in the Hudson Valley, then in 95 went a-wanderin'.
My folks lived in Syracuse for a few weeks before moving to Binghamton for about a year. Moved to WV for a better job, then my brother and I came along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back