I am watching... (1 Viewer)

chronic

old and in the way
... the most pathetic thing I've seen in a while. The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Award show. I was just flipping through the channels and spotted The Stooges. They started to perform I Wanna Be Your Dog to all the evening gowns and gucci suits in the audience and at the first chorus, Iggy sings "and now I wanna" then points the mic at the audience who just sit there looking uncomfortable. Not one of them that I can see with a clue as to just what they're supposed to do.

Towards the end of the song Iggy starts saying "Let's get some of you rich people up here" and ends up with maybe fifteen of the gowns and suits onstage bouncing around looking oh-so-stupid.

I'm sorry, but I thought a rock hall of fame was a dumb idea when it started. I think this proves that I was correct for once in my life.

Next up... ABBA presented by a couple of the surviving Bee Gees!

That sounds worse than the Grammys. Rock music only works if everyone agrees to act as stupid as everyone else.

The Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Award show [...] The Stooges...
Oh, were they inducted? Tenth time's the charm, eh? I guess they had to wait until one of them died.

The R&RHOF is like OUTLAW POETS. Iggy should have told them to go screw, ala Lydon:
congrat1.jpg

But he was neutered a long time ago. The dangerous, interesting Iggy died in the 70s.

I never understood the hall of fame, you'll see Dee Dee Ramone giving the greatest acceptance speech in the hall of fame history!
[This video is unavailable.]
ddhall.jpg

Roc, they all felt the same as you do, but apparently Johnny Ramone insisted on it, and they all listened. Ha, ha. He was quite the tyrant!

It's sad when 50 year old men wear the same hair style as when they were teens.
Sadder still for 67 year old men...

mick-jagger-picture-11.jpg

But then some of us just say FTW! and do whatever we want.

You know, like me and Mick Jagger. That's just how we roll.

Last edited:
I don't know about that. If you're successful and don't have to ride around in a van and sleep on people's living room floors, why not keep your freak flag flying?

Where it gets a bit pathetic for me is when you are riding around in a van and sleeping on people's living room floors way past your expiration date...

But yeah, you said "rock" and I think that only applies to rawk n rowl. There's nothing weird about a 60 year old jazz, country or reggae musician. Seems natural. But the rock is a young person's game.

But as someone who had the good sense to retire at the age of 30, I can tell you that you don't change when you hang up the guitar. I still want to turn it up somewhere and disturb the peace 20 years later. I don't do it, but I still want to.

As another "ex-musician" I have to say, this is more sad: still wanting to do it, and not doing it because you think you're too old (or for whatever reason that has a bit to do with fear). We are whatcha call "has beens." Or is it hasbeans? That seems a lot cuter.

Well, at least we have our hair!

Yeah, FTW!

And the R&R HOF!

Has anyone ever been to the R&R HOF? The closest I came was the Fender guitar factory display of old guitars out in Corona (wait, I see that is called the FENDER MUSEUM OF MUSIC AND THE ARTS - I beg their pardon). That was kind of cool, but got a bit dodgy when they started adding personalities and stopped focusing on the hardware.

I think the R&R HOF would just make me sad. You know, as much as I would like to see a smashed SG, an old LP cover ("this was called a gatefold - look at how big it is!") or Prince's panties from the Dirty Mind album cover...

I get my haircut about once a year, been that way for about 10 years ever since I quit a job where I wore a suit everyday. had sort of an early mid life crisis, I suppose.

I'm probably too old to have long hair and people might think I'm silly or odd or trying too hard, but I don't care. I'm rocking the locks, and don't see myself changing that. unless I have another midlife crisis. heh.

but to bring this back to the original topic and to stop talking about myself for a second (it'll be tough, but I think I'll be able to do it), I think the R&R HOF is silly and sad and a waste of time and John Lydon is an atrocious speller!

But he was neutered a long time ago. The dangerous, interesting Iggy died in the 70s.
I strongly hope my friend and I are going to find tickets for one of the two sold out gigs of the said neutered Iggy with Eiffel as the supporting band!

It's sad when 50 year old men wear the same hair style as when they were teens.
But it can still suit them! I could quote you a bunch of examples but right now, I only have Robert Plant or Steve Harris in mind. Long haired men are attractive, however old they are! No joke, dudes! Now, go get your hair (or what remains of it :D) grow again!

Sadly, it doesn't work for poor Axl Rose :(:

Axl Rose 2010.jpg

Man, that sucks!
I had less hair than that when I was 25. :(
It is highly probable that it's fake. Mick Jagger can afford it. ;) And I don't agree with Nervas, that hair-cut doesn't rock, I actually don't find it manly at all. :D

You got me there, Bufan.

I made a pretty big assumption that Big Hair was the issue here.

There is only one way a real man wears his hair -

johnny-unitas.jpg

:D

It should be called the Anti-rock n roll hall of fame. It's like looking to organized religions for spirtuality or government agencies for justice, you're just looking at the worst possible place for your quest.

It should be called the Anti-rock n roll hall of fame.

Right! They have'nt even inducted Canned Heat although the band was among the 10 most famous bands in the world from 1968 to 1970, with major hits like, "On The Road Again", "Going Up The Country", and "Let's Work Together".

Last edited by a moderator:
whuck?

Canned Heat was never one of the 1000 most famous bands in the world...they weren't even one of the 10 most famous bands at Woodstock.

Canned Heat?

Maybe outside of the U.S. But here they were a very minor band. If they hadn't been in the Woodstock movie they would have probably been completely forgotten by now, except by a few hippies living in teepees and geodesic domes up in Topanga Canyon.

Canned Heat?!

Yes, they were very popular over here. And they did perform together with many of the great bands of the time at various concerts (apart from Monterey Pop Festival and Woodstock), such as The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Iron Butterfly, Big Brother And The Holding Company etc., at places like the Fillmore, The whiskey A Go Go, Winterland, and at many many festivals all over the world.
As for being among the 10 most famous bands in 1968-1970, I read that in a book about the band so it might be biased but it sounded okay to me because I knew they were very popular in Europe back then. I really thought they were a big name in the US too (at the time), but if you say they were a minor band then I'll have to accept it. It does come as a surprise though, because many of their albums became gold albums. Oh well...

Here's a pic of some of their gold records (more than one million copies sold of each of them)

RecordAward-Hooker´N´Heat,Woodstock,Livin´TheBlues,FutureBlues,Cookbook-All.jpg

The true genius and significance of the phenomenon that was canned heat has yet to be fully absorbed in the US.

Elsewhere they are worshipped as the musical gods they are.

Canned heat rock!

But what do you expect when Kermit the frog fronts a band?!

What are you suggesting, Gerard? That Canned Heat fans are....losing train of thought - reread Gerard's post....prone to favoring....whatever happened to Phyllis Diller?....heightened states of awareness....I hear a bird singing, I like birds....and the thinning air....did I pay my gas bill? what am I writing? reread Gerard's post....decreases our mental faculties....

Here's a pic of some of their gold records (more than one million copies sold of each of them)
Just so you know; "Gold" equals one million dollars in sales - well short of a million copies (very short of a million in the days of $12 - $15 CDs). "Platinum" is a million copies. So in the Canned Heat heyday gold would have meant 200,000 (or less) sales.

Nothing against Canned Heat as a thing or entity, I'm just telling it like it is as someone who happened to be alive and buying records at the time. I never heard anyone talk about them, and never saw any of their records in great numbers in the stores. Maybe in the cut out bins, but that's about it. ;)

Doesn't mean they couldn't have been great (I don't know if they were or not, I only ever heard that one god damned weird mumbly song with the flute hook). Plenty of very influential bands didn't sell records.

Last edited:
Just so you know; "Gold" equals one million dollars in sales - well short of a million copies (very short of a million in the days of $12 - $15 CDs). "Platinum" is a million copies. So in the Canned Heat heyday gold would have meant 200,000 (or less) sales.

Really? I did'nt know that. I do know their "gold" records state over one million copies sold, but so does their "platinum" records which makes it a bit confusing.

Nothing against Canned Heat as a thing or entity, I'm just telling it like it is as someone who happened to be alive and buying records at the time. I never heard anyone talk about them, and never saw any of their records in great numbers in the stores. Maybe in the cut out bins, but that's about it.

I know you have nothing against Canned Heat and I'm glad you told me about their status back in the day. I always knew they were more popular in Europe and Australia but I did'nt know they were considered a minor band in the US at the time.

Btw, I found the "Top 10 bands" quote. It's in the book by Canned Heat drummer Fito De La Parra, called, "Living The Blues" (page 106 & 112):

"Unlike many bands, Canned Heat was not a one hit wonder with the proverbial 15 minutes of fame. We were one of America's Top 10 bands in 1968-69 and in league with the best British bands, Cream and Led Zeppelin. We were heading over Santana and the Allman Brothers at the Fillmore East and B.B. King and Fats Domino at the Hollywood Bowl. Creedence Clearwater Revival was our opening act at the Swing Auditorium in San Bernadino.
One of my fondest memories was our performance at the Masonic Temple in Cleveland. We were on a double bill with Cream..."

I did notice he's comparing Canned Heat with the best British bands and not the best American bands. ;)

Here's a pic of one of their "Gold" records (I presume it's a gold record since it's golden) for one million copies sold (of their "god damned weird mumbly song with the flute hook" :D).

RecordAward-OnTheRoadAgain-2.jpg

Really? I did'nt know that. I do know their "gold" records state over one million copies sold, but so does their "platinum" records which makes it a bit confusing.
I think we may both be right:

"Presently, an American RIAA-certified gold record is a single or album that has sold 500,000 units (records, tapes or compact discs). Originally, the requirement for a gold single was one million units sold and a gold album represented $1 million in sales (at wholesale value). In 1975, the additional requirement of 500,000 units sold was added for gold albums. Reflecting growth in record sales, the platinum award was instituted in 1976 for albums selling one million units and singles selling two million units."

Last edited:
I think the song with the flute hook was "Going Up The Country".

"On The Road Again" was their harmonica hook song. Not to be confused with Willie Nelson's "On The Road Again", which had a sweet nylon-string guitar solo hook going for it.

You know, I have changed my mind about Canned Heat. Anyone who would get up there with that voice, and actually put it on records...that's some good old fashioned, "fuck you!" punk rock right there!

CANNED HEAT! FTW!

I think the song with the flute hook was "Going Up The Country".

You're right, No.6! "Going Up The Country", the so-called "Woodstock Anthem". My mistake! "On The Road Again" has that Indian Tambura drone sound.

But what do you expect when Kermit the frog fronts a band?!

Now it finally dawned on me, ROC. You were thinking of Alan Wilson with the high pitched voice singing on songs like "On The Road Again" and Going Up The Country" etc. Their regular front man was Bob Hite who did the vocals on most of their songs but Alan Wilson did the vocals on many of their more memorable songs.

I think we may both be right:

Right, the changing definitions does'nt make it any easier.

You know, I have changed my mind about Canned Heat.

That's cool, mjp! So there's hope for you yet. :D

And buknet does it better than all those money grabbing guru's out there. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back