INK POEMS book by MJP (1 Viewer)

you will want one of each - aside from having the same contents, they'll all be very different from one another. after carol's book, i can't really say "this will be the best thing we've ever done" anymore, but i've done a couple mockups, and i'm really excited about them.

Now my hand is so cramped I can barely lift this bottle of Red Stripe..

Love your writing, but Red Stripe is so fucking bad, I'd rather drink Bud Light straight outta Richard Simmons' bung hole. Can I make that any more clear? Red Stripe is an astringent, not a beer.

mjp, you bring shame upon the Irish for ingesting that tripe. You and I know that this isn't terribly difficult, but fer dog's sake, have a bit 'o' the ole pride damn yer.

Oh yeah. I'll take three of everything.

Well, one or two of something.

but it comes in a stubby. I miss stubbies. I mean the beer, not mjp.

red-stripe.jpg

Red Stripe is a people's lager, so the comparison to Budweiser isn't far off (Bud Light, however, I don't know who drinks that shit). More people in Ireland drink lager than stout (think Harp rather than Guiness, and Guiness is barely stout to my tastes), so you can't pin me down there!

Sometimes a man, or someone like myself, needs a cold lager or five to chug because he is thirsty and wishes for a comfortable haze to descend over his day. If you drink five Guiness or - puke - ales, you'll explode. Or I will, anyway. And that ruins the haze.

Having said that, I've met very few beers that I didn't like and befriend. But at the end of the day I still prefer whiskey. Straight up in the desert, on ice in the city. That's just civilization, there.

I'm a stout man, but Guinness is so expensive here on this backward, sorry, I mean Catholic island that I have to stoop to their local brew; a milk based stout called 'Lactating Mary', or something like that. Also, being a hot climate, they seem to fear anything over 4% proof, so I spend more time in the lav than I do with my kid (actually, where did I put my kid? Oh, there she is, under that pile of cigarette butts.)

I have been acquiring funds by mistake (I'm not going to disclose how) so I'll keep an eye out for this; the mjp book that is.

well, after the horribly insulting email mjp sent me telling me how shitty these look (if by 'horribly insulting email' you mean 'discussion in which we both agreed'), the decision is to have the man himself do the lettering on the cover... so those ones in the picture will never be seen again by anyone.

happily, though, the adhesive is removable simply by applying heat, so i'm able to salvage & repurpose them. hooray!

it is pretty amazing - you can't tell from the pictures, but it has a nice sheen that changes color (from more blue to more gold) depending on how light hits it. it ain't cheap, but they started selling it in 1/2-yard increments, so i thought we'd splurge for this most fine book.

Yes, I have a little sample of it here in a swatch book. Gengi is by far the most expensive book cloth that I have seen. Even in half yards, ti is still 8 times more expensive than a good, run-of-the-mill bookcloth.

Bill

Seeing those pictures makes it feel like prom night over here!

Not that I ever went to a prom. No one asked me. I still have the dress though. I saved it for the Nobel Prize dinner that will undoubtedly be held in my honor. At some future date.

Chance Press swings for the fences and connects with disturbing regularity.

the genji bookcloth really is beautiful. i don't know if we ever posted pics of it, but jordan made me a special book for my birthday last year that was bound in a gorgeous floral-embossed plum genji cloth.

I'd love to see the book.

And that Genji that you are using on the mjp book, is the priciest of the Genji patterns, If I recall.

Still, that floral plumb is purdy.

Bill

bill and justine are both stupid morons who are wrong.

the book i made for justine, while incredibly beautiful, has asahi cloth on it - still made in japan, but not quite as fancy (i think it is rayon and not rayon/cotton like genji). also, this is the cheapest genji pattern (the more expensive ones are pure silk and cost either $43 or $49 per 1/2 yard, whereas this one is $23 per 1/2 yard. for comparison's sake, asahi is around $15 per yard, making the genji around 3x as expensive).

here's the book i made for justine:
RC%20Book%201.jpg

it even has a pop-up in it:
RC%20Book%203.jpg

That's the funny part - I paid him in Swedish Krona. He though he was rich, but 10,000kr is like eight bucks American.

Here's a blog post about the amount of work that's going into the hardcover edition of this book: http://chancepress.com/2011/06/working-with-300-year-old-paper/

I kind of wanted to make a big deal about it, since it's not something that anyone would even notice when looking at the final product, but it speaks to the level of quality we're putting into this book in order to do justice to the art inside.

So read it, and think of just how sad you will be when the eight copies sell out and you didn't buy one!

Honestly, after reading that article, I am convinced the two of you never leave your workstation, you are nearly turning the art of bookmaking into a science, blows me away. So do you have any copies of the hardcover left, and if so, how much will it run me, as I may take one off your hands then.

Wow, that's a lotta work. I would of just used Pritt Stick ;)

I have to ask though, won't the adhesive layer applied to the paper alter the way in which mjp's drawings will appear? As per the above, how much do you think these HB's will go for?

Questions. Questions. Questions.

Well fuck me, that is beautiful.

Is it irony that pages from An Exposition the Five Poetical Books of the Old Testament are adorning the cover of a book by a godless heathen? I think it may be. That or blasphemy. Either of which is fine.

Wow, that's a lotta work. I would of just used Pritt Stick ;)

I have to ask though, won't the adhesive layer applied to the paper alter the way in which mjp's drawings will appear? As per the above, how much do you think these HB's will go for?

Questions. Questions. Questions.

we haven't settled on a price for the HC, but i'll post here before sending it out to our email/facebook lists. i do know they'll be less than $100 (probably significantly less), but justine and i haven't quite decided how much less yet. if you want one, send us an email and we'll hold one for you.

also - the adhesive layer is on the back of the paper, where the lining is attached. keep in mind that the paper is dual sided - meaning that although it looks like the adhesive is being applied to the side facing out in the picture, the final binding just has the raw, uncoated side of the paper on the outside.

I saw the 'Lord' so many times on the cover image I think I'm being called. So the choice is, do I become a missionary, or send an email reserving a copy?

Sorry for being a dunce over the adhesive layer. I did think it would be a bit strange. I'm thinking of doing laminated covers and getting the writers to draw a cover image, which the buyers can then spit on and wipe off.

Honestly, after reading that article, I am convinced the two of you never leave your workstation, you are nearly turning the art of bookmaking into a science, blows me away. So do you have any copies of the hardcover left, and if so, how much will it run me, as I may take one off your hands then.

only one of us never leaves the work station - the other puts a hearty, home-cooked meal on the table every night ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back