• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Instant Bukowski Collection on eBay (1 Viewer)

Probably... there are quite a lot of cheap bastards who have tried to underbid me on this already...

To be honest, I think this is the best I could do, but the economy sucks and any real Buk collectors worth their salt would have quite a bit of these anyway.

I just figured I'd give the beginner/novice a quick jump into it.

p.s. - I asked a so-called Buk "expert" for his opinion and he has snubbed me by not responding to e-mails, etc. so if anyone out there who is a real collector can give me a more ballpark figure as to what to ask here will be helpful.

I'll be posting pics etc. before the end of the day.

Enjoy.

Good Luck To The J from the Windy City

Looks like you have probably collected for a long time. Some cool shit.

That's gotta be tough to part with...damn.

I see some pieces I may interested in; but not the lot. If you don't sell the lot, can we speak? (I know you stated on eBay you won't break it up.)

My guess would be there are some others here who may be interested in singles or more...to plug a few holes. Who knows, maybe even the whole shebang?

Pics will probably help. And mjp, and some of the others here (hard core collectors, inclusive) are probably your best sounding board with such a large quantity. Or people who collect and publish, like Bill, BoSP "” are you out there "” any opinion?

I've never bought this quantity before, so I have no experience...

Either way, good luck!

Pax

Last edited by a moderator:
No prob. Like some of your pieces, it's rare when I get to use the word, "shebang," so tx. :cool:

Hope more of the members here can give you some guidance...You've come to the right place for honest answers about Buk.

That's how I found BUKnet...and all the answers to my book/collectible/pricing queries have been sound. The most accurate in the world, to be blunt.

Pax

$3000 will be tough to get. Usually for a 100 piece lot, the whole is less than the parts. I'm not sure if there is $3000 here, if you add them up, piece by piece. I'm not trying to bust chops or discourage anyone from bidding on this, but I hate to see you waste your money and put more money into the pockets of ebay for listing something that will not sell.

If it was me, I'd break it up and sell it piece by piece. If you are looking to just unload it, then I would start it at $500 and let the market dictate it, but that could leave you very unhappy.

I'm curious who the so-called Buk "expert" was....

Bill

Yeah, unfortunately there's nothing really valuable on its own in there (to most collectors with $3k to drop, anyway). Even if there was, those people would essentially be bidding on the one item and you'd be giving the rest of it away.

It's always problematic trying to sell a large variable lot - of almost anything. Unfortunately, Bill's advice to break it up, while a tremendous pain in the ass, is probably the only way you're going to see any return on your investment.

I'm curious who the so-called Buk "expert" was...
So am I. ;)

p.s. - I asked a so-called Buk "expert" for his opinion and he has snubbed me by not responding to e-mails, etc. so if anyone out there who is a real collector can give me a more ballpark figure as to what to ask here will be helpful.

That would be me I suppose. I didn't snub you and I never claimed to be an "expert." You emailed me last week, I asked for a list of what you were selling, you asked what did I think (though you didn't ask what I thought they were worth), I had more pressing issues in my life (yes, I do have one) and was going to get back to you today if time permitted. I'm not an appraiser and if I were I wouldn't do it for free. If you ask me about a book or two I'm happy to give an opinion of its value (and an opinion is all it is). When you send me a list of 100 or so books, 90% of which have no "collectible" value, you can just fucking wait and be patient. Better yet, do the goddamned grunt-work yourself.

So, here's my opinion of your list. Start it on ebay at one cent and hope for the best, or break it down into rare and readily available groups and sell them individually or in small lots starting at about half of what you see they are going for on ABE.

That'll be $2000 please. You can send me payment through Paypal.

I have to stand by my friend Chronic. It is a bit much to ask of someone to send a list of 100 items and ask for a free appraisal.

I have people ask me for this all the time, but they ask for a few at a time and I know them and consider them friends.

I see that the seller has a copy of Fogel, so any 1st editions are listed there as are mags. The later printings are worth $10 each for paperback copies each as an estimate.

Bill

...(snip) I never claimed to be an "expert." ...(snip).

As I've been known to disagree on this site once or twice, I will do so again "” you are most certainly an expert.

The knowledge and information you generously share for free, including your fucking amazing web site (http://www.collectingbukowski.com/), is incredible.

Thank you.

I am sure I am not alone in this thinking.

Pax,

homeless mind/b

That would be me I suppose. I didn't snub you and I never claimed to be an "expert."

This wasn't you.

Sorry.

I know the guy personally, and to be honest, he may be a hell of a book expert, but he's an asshole, plain and simple.

He also drives a Lexus.

There appear to be a couple of $20-$40 pieces in there (the two Wormwoods are pretty good, for example, but even those wouldn't bring $40 each), amongst a plethora of $5-$10 pieces. I may have missed a couple of better items, but by and large, you may be looking at an average worth of perhaps $10-$20 each. Problem is, just about anyone who would be willing to spend that already has ~50% - 75% of what you are listing. I can't imagine too many folks dropping that kind of coin if they are not familiar with Buk, and no one who is that familiar will want that amount of duplicates.

I mean, good luck, but it really needs segregation into categories, in my opinion.

Most of this has been said before by other folks here, but I thought it bore repeating.

I am listening to your guys opinions, and believe me, I'm re-evaluating selling it at all since I don't think I'll get the price, so I might lowball myself at a later date.

Thanks again to all for their imput.

Sorry ... but there is no chance you will make $1,000 for the lot.

As mentioned, collectors with that kind of money are going for particluar pieces.

Unless you have a hardcover, first printing in at least near fine condition - I'm not paying more than $5.

On a quick glance you have 2 later BSP books that meet the criteria - both worth around $50 each - tops.

Unfortunately, while it may have been fun to collect all this stuff - and even more fun reading it - I agree with the previous comments that there is not much value to the collection.

Good luck but I would be fielding queries for indivdual pieces if I was you.

---

I forgot the Pulp signed copy - $200 on a good day.

So I would say the collection might be worth $500 to someone - although, not me.

Just my humble opinion.

JC;
The good news is that Ebay has already taken their cut and there is no way to get that back. Even if you drop the price, they do not give anything back, so why not just let it run as-is? I agree that I cannot imagine getting $1000, let alone $3000 for it, but it cannot hurt to let it run. They are great books, but it is VERY tough to sell as a lot.

If you decide to break it up, you will make more than you will selling as a lot, that is for sure.

Bill

J of Chicago:

If you want to sell, follow the yellow brick road of advice given here.

You will not find a pool of collectors better anywhere. Or more knowledgeable.

e.g. Look at PBBUK's avatar. I can't; as I think he is really a relative of John Martin's...in disguise...just fucking with the rest of us mere dipsomaniacal mortals, er, I mean those who collect such works by the bard of LA/USA.

Pax

e.g. Look at PBBUK's avatar. I can't; as I think he is really a relative of John Martin's...in disguise...just fucking with the rest of us mere dipsomaniacal mortals, er, I mean those who collect such works by the bard of LA/USA.
Homeless Mind

If we are going to get into a flattery contest - you are going to have me trumped every time with that hardcover At Terror Street. By the way, that book will one day be mind (you may insert an evil laugh here).

Is this what you are referring to?

(Just the back of Terror, as I don't want to brag...)

(Oops! Forget that last statement, I just looked at the number...)

BTW: I still think you have a blood relation...:D "” FLOL.

My Experiment: At Terror Street & Agony Way...

picture.php

picture.php

Now, to remember how to do this (LOFL)...

Pax

Just a note to all -

The auction has been stopped.

I'd feel better tossing it into the trash.

Sorry for bothering to many people here about selling it.

Thanks again.

Never throw Bukowski in the trash!!

List your better items on ebay at reasonable amounts and see where the market takes you.

Start with your first edition hardcovers and go from there.

If you list them too high - besides being a waste of time and listing fees - you can always relist them at lower amounts.

At least you will make some money and can then see how you go with the rest.

Here's how to list Buk - and sell - right here

Just a note to all -
The auction has been stopped.
I'd feel better tossing it into the trash.
Sorry for bothering to many people here about selling it.
Thanks again.

Instead of the trash, I'll send you my FEDEX number. However, I know you are joking (even though I'm not - lol).

You may want to take a look at this thread. Everything on the list was priced right, and I believe sold here.

https://bukowskiforum.com/showthread.php?t=4832

Hope this helps, J of Chicago

And good luck!

Pax,

homeless mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back