Interesting nod to Bukowski (1 Viewer)

Well, Buk might well have considered that a compliment. Either way, when a member of the so-called establishment acknowledges (I think I always spell that word wrong) the ability and effectiveness of Buk, we should perhaps overlook the odd, somewhat strained use of metaphor and celebrate the dawning of reality on the academic.

I mean, I would (do). :cool:

Well, at least this here academic recognizes Buk. I guess that's a step in the right direction (or is it?). - The gargoyle poet laureate of skid row...:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
From Garrison Keillor of all people, in his introduction to a collection called Good Poems.

I just picked that book up last week and read that, while I noticed how many Bukowski and Carver poems were published in that collection. I consider Garrison Keillor to be a great entertainer and writer, someone I admire. After living in North Dakota for four years he makes deep sense to my warped perspective of life and interactions.
Thank you for pointing that out. It's that Minnesota mystique.

A gargoyle? ;)

I always thought Buk looked like a gargoyle too (a handsome gargoyle, Linda - if you're reading this) and assumed the cover to "Love Is A Dog From Hell" was an allusion to this also.

c7205.jpg

Long overdue--but props to Keillor. I guess I'll give him another look. Any so-called fan of poetry must see what Buk's work has accomplished, if for no other reason than the people it reached & encouraged to rethink what poetry is or can be.

If more big names have any heart & any guts they'll admit that his work deserves to be remembered.

I always thought Buk looked like a gargoyle too (a handsome gargoyle, Linda - if you're reading this) and assumed the cover to "Love Is A Dog From Hell" was an allusion to this also.
Gargoyles have always been the protect-ores of sacred sites, and countless ancient churches. I like the allusion between Buk and such. VERY meaningful.
I must say I am surprised that Keillor even mentioned Bukowski. I've listened to NPR/PHC thru the years; got much enjoyment from it, while driving to work on a many misc. Sunday morning. I've seen his book around for years now, and never picked it up because I figured it was "American Fluff".
I should of looked at it. The seconed I saw Bukowski, I would of bought it.
Good for Keillor, showing himself as much less than an American Fool.

Another Nod to Bukowski

Last night while driving home I heard The Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor on N.P.R.and he read the Bukowski poem from What Matter's Most is How Well You Walk Through the Fire, the hookers, the madmen and the doomed.

I have always been a fan of Keillor and his respect and admiration of Bukowski makes me appreciate him a little more.

Here is a transcript of Dec 1st program.

He can read Bukowski till the goofy cows come home and I'll still think Garrison Keillor is a horse's ass. No offense, Gerard. I'm not against anyone else liking him, but he drives me nuts.

I've recommended his radio program to people who don't care for his style or just don't get it. Most people are polite about it but one lady whined in agony about how much she hated him and the goofy music on his show. A Prairie Home Companion is a very entertaining program. I do not agree with some of Mr. Keillor's political ideas.

I guess I'm one of those who whine when I hear his name or voice. It's not his political views: I assume he's middle of the road middle America apple pie and fascism. It's the smug, self-satisfied tone of everything he does. Like he's so comfortable, so pleased with himself. Plus I've heard from people who have met him that he is not wonderful to be around. And he thinks he's the last word on literature, the gatekeeper of poetry. Bah. The Prairie Home Companion show just makes me scream "Jesus Christ!" while turning off the radio as quickly as possible. I like corn as much as the next guy but that corn is too deep.

I don't know enough about literature to disagree with his opinion but he does appreciate Bukowski. His political are not at all right wing he is a very liberal mid-westerner and hates Geo W Bush. I like his writing and his sense of humor especially his situational humor. You are not whining Rekrab, not in my ears anyway. I can just see your car swerve as you snap the radio dial on the hiway, "That bastard!".

It must be the short days and long nights.

In all fairness, I have to admit his comment on Bukowski is pretty decent. As for politics, I'm surprised to hear he's a liberal. How does he manage to blend in with all those conservatives in the "heartland"? My dislike of him is more animal instinct than rational; he just pisses me off, hearing his voice. I've got a bad attitude about him. I would hate (and I mean it; it's not sour grapes) to have him read one of my poems on the air. I'd rather be touted by an army of certified imbeciles.

In all fairness, I have to admit his comment on Bukowski is pretty decent. As for politics, I'm surprised to hear he's a liberal. How does he manage to blend in with all those conservatives in the "heartland"? My dislike of him is more animal instinct than rational; he just pisses me off, hearing his voice. I've got a bad attitude about him. I would hate (and I mean it; it's not sour grapes) to have him read one of my poems on the air. I'd rather be touted by an army of certified imbeciles.

I will send him some of your poems and see if he will respond to them. You are too funny.

There are just as many liberal minded people in "the heartland" as there are on the coasts. Don't forget that Minnesota was the only state to vote for Mondale while Reagan took the other 49. Wait, 48 - I just looked it up and it seems D.C. also voted for Mondale. But they don't really count.

That was a long time ago though, and as the pendulum swung in the conservative direction, so did the Midwest. But some of the greatest musicians, artists, museums, etc. are in or from Minneapolis, Chicago...

Keillor's delivery and schtick are not everyone's cup of tea. And when all those white people start singing hymns, I turn it off. But I think I said before that if you are from that part of the world there is no comparable regional humorist. No one else captures the particular weirdness of the area and the people. People who would give you the shirt off their back the first day they met you. Whatever their politics or your politics might be. And I think a large part of his appeal, or whether or not you think he's worth a damn, depends on whether you know the area and the people.

"How did you know I was from Iowa?"
"It's your coffee...I can see right through it."
Part of the appeal of the humor is that it's often corny. The audience is in on the joke, trust me.

..garrison gargoyles..buk's face: have read it described as "a bowl of walnuts," "five miles of bad road"... and once i thought the twinkle-eyed satyr in a gargantuan Reuben painting at the Getty must've been Bukowski in another life working as a artist's model posing nude for wine and cheese money..in certain overheadlight, in a peaceful mood, serenity or deep thought, his overhang eyebrows shadowing his eyes, Bukowski could resemble a great god or an aging matinee idol..or: in a drunken rage, coming at you with a beer can in his hand: he could do or be or look like anything you've never seen before..i thank Garrison Keillor for his compliments abt Buk's narrative genius--it's about time..

Garrison Keillor is keeping his Bukowski enthusiasm--he has anthologized him in several books and Buk is apparently in Keillor's new Good Poems: American Places.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back