• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

Interesting story (1 Viewer)

I'm no expert, but the signature doesn't look right to me, and the story doesn't sound right, either. Two mentions of "no COA" in a short listing. Feedback from buyers is all for non-book items. Red lights are flashing.

Hi,
I agree. I think that the story is 100% fiction. I have never heard of Buk signing a book with just "Buk". I think that the story is made up and the signature most likely circa 2006....

Bill

Yikes.

If it's fake (which I would agree, it is), it was clever to sign just "Buk" because there's no way you can say for sure that he didn't sign it.

But I have never seen "Buk" in a book, only on art and letters, and the story in the auction sounds like utter bullshit.

nymark: thanks. I guess what I meant was that I haven't made a point of studying Buk's various signatures, but I've seen enough of them that this item doesn't look right to me. Of course, it very well may be real. The story may be true too, although it doesn't sound like Bukowski's words to me. I wouldn't bid on it, but I'm not saying it isn't genuine.

Hi,
There are more copies. Do a search under the author name Bukowski and the title stew. Most people misspell septuagenarian and that will probably keep many copies of this from showing up...

Best,Bill

Most people using ABE don't understand how databases work. The things are rigid machines. They don't realize the software can't think. It doesn't know what you meant to type in, only what you did type, although as artificial intelligence develops, that'll change. In fact, it's already changing. Google asks "did you mean...?" But ABE just reacts to what is actually entered by the seller or shopper. One way to find rare books is to use a mispelled name or title in the search. An unsavy seller may try looking up a book, not find any for sale because they mispelled something, and then list it for a low price, not knowing it's worth more. It's a long shot, but it sometimes works to a buyer's advantage.

I'm curious, when was the last book signing BUK did? I didn't think he'd done one for a number of years prior to his death...
I agree that I think it's a FAKE, and even if it isn't, if you buy something like this, what does it really end up meaning to you? You always question the authenticity, kind of ruins the overall appeal of owning something 'unique'. The signature is similar to paintings, which is what the SELLER probably picked to copy, plus it's a lot easier than faking an actual signature. Overall sounds like someone found a way to make $32 for a soiled, readers copy of SEPT STEW!

I'm curious, when was the last book signing BUK did? I didn't think he'd done one for a number of years prior to his death...

He didn't generally do pre-arranged signings. The only one he did (that I know of) was in San Pedro in 1986. However, he was very gracious about signing books in less formal circumstances.

He would go into the bookstores in San Pedro and Palos Verdes and sign all of the copies of his books on the shelves without mentioning anything to the owners or employees. Heh. Nice surprise for a lot of buyers.

At one store in particular, I know that every time he walked in, they would gather up all his books and he would sign them.

But I thought the same thing about the story of waiting in line at "a signing." It doesn't ring true, any of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back