Interview with Bukowski's wife (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I remember reading an interview with one of Bukowski's ex-wives where she said that he was not at all like the hard hitting figure painted in his books, and that he and Chinaski were entirely different. I don't agree completely, but I need to find that interview again, or anything similar really, for my dissertation. I've googled it to death to no avail. Any help? Cheers

Hi, I remember reading an interview with one of
Bukowski's ex-wives where she said that. . .

Seriously, if you are going to do a paper on
Bukowski, you'll have to know your subject better.

Bukowski only had one ex-wife.
Her name was Barbara.

If you want an insight into the man's personal life,
I suggest you read his letters. There are three
volumes (minimum). May your research begin
there and continue on to fruitfulness for you.

All the best.

--
Okay,
Father Luke

In the extras on 'Born into this' one of Bukowskis exgirlfriends recounts how she met him and the night they had together, then she explains that the short story he wrote about it, was completely in contradiction to the peacefully, affectionate night they had.

She tells of her shock and disturbance of discovering that he had 'manipulated' their meeting, to fit into a short story that 'affirmed' Bukowskis fictional persona. Clearly, she didn't realise that in a writers hand anyone can become anything, it doesn't have to follow reality, it just has to 'lend from it'.

I'm not sure her name. Someone else will have more information. If you are writing an essay on this subject, this womans interview would be a golden nugget of truth, in explaining Bukowski the man, the writer, the myth, the persona.

Molto intersante.

I don't always want to help you guys with your homework, but you will probably be a multi-millionaire some day so here. This thread is about an account from the point of view of one of his fans who did get written about in Women.
It is no mystery that Bukowski writes fiction so that allows for embellishment.

So since I am convinced that you will wealthy someday you make sure to make a very generous contribution to the soon to be formed Charles H. Bukowski Foundation.

In the extras on 'Born into this' one of Bukowskis exgirlfriends recounts how she met him and the night they had together, then she explains that the short story he wrote about it, was completely in contradiction to the peacefully, affectionate night they had.
Her name is Amber O'Neill.
The story is written by Amber and is called: Blowing My Hero.
Beautiful memoir.

Bukowski to Taylor Hackford: "Hey baby, I'm the hero of my own shit".

It's all true.

There is also another thread by a woman who spent a long weekend with Bukowski. All this stuff is in the Spotlight forum, I believe.

Everything you need to know to write what you want to write is on this site and in the books.

As one of Buk's Women (sort of)...

.. it was my experience w/Buk that Buk was Chinaski in the flesh--the personna, for sure; the content, Chinaski's es- and sexcapades? much was exaggerated/fictionalized--for entertainment: Buk's and his readers... similar to Mickey Spillane/Mike Hammer... in 1994 i wrote a rebuttal to the LA Times re: a put-down review of Neeli Cherkovski's bio, HANK, in which i defended Neeli's perception of Hank... the reviewer had accused Neeli of puffery hagiography, that Buk wasn't "that tough"...oh, yes he was... he cd be a ferocious lion or a sweetie pie... a genius brute or a gentle fool... Buk's letters reveal his mood at the time of writing: up, down, drunk, melancholy with hangover of love loss--every line packed with orginality... a lot of his poems and prose are his personal getting-evens as was his depiction of me in Barfly; i am some of the composite of the editor in the movie, the girl with the long hair who's not quite smart enuf to get him--his version, part-fantasy of me, what he wanted me to be; "i'll get even," he kidded with me after i rejected a poem of his titled "F.F." abt a couple men talking while urinating... "the poem is NOT abt men pissing" he wrote, "you are a bad editor".. in Barfly he has Wanda and the Editor engage in a crazy-jealous catfight--a situation Buk tried to incite between Linda King and me in the mid-70s... "I love women, especially when they love me" he said to me... Ricky, the Buk Researcher: my advice: read as many Buk letters as you can find; also read Jules Smith's dissertation easily available iin yr own country via UK's Wrecking Ball Press--check out the internet...Dr. Smith (the first to do a dis on Buk for a PhD) has compiled a brilliant ambrosia myriad of great Buk info... also, in my first BukRev, Fred Voss conducted a fascinating, revealing interview with 3 of Buk's Women: Linda King, Ann Menebroker and francEyE (mother of Marina Bukowski, Buk's only child)--available from pearl.mag...

.. it was my experience w/Buk that Buk was Chinaski in the flesh--the personna, for sure; the content, Chinaski's es- and sexcapades? much was exaggerated/fictionalized--for entertainment: Buk's and his readers... similar to Mickey Spillane/Mike Hammer... in 1994 i wrote a rebuttal to the LA Times re: a put-down review of Neeli Cherkovski's bio, HANK, in which i defended Neeli's perception of Hank... the reviewer had accused Neeli of puffery hagiography, that Buk wasn't "that tough"...oh, yes he was... he cd be a ferocious lion or a sweetie pie... a genius brute or a gentle fool......

wow, thanks joan! very insightful.

so how about that ricky! that should help you. ricky? hello? you still there?

ricky, if you come back, there's an interview here with Linda Bukowski (Bukowski's widow) done by Bradley Mason Hamlin and Gary Aposhian for Free Thought magazine in 1999.

in it, she talks about Buk being a creampuff with a crusty exterior.

I don't know if it's the exact interview, but maybe it's ok 4 u.

heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back