Invisible City No.1 - February, 1971. . 10 Bukowski poems (1 Viewer)

Invisible City ( a periodical tabloid) Number One. . . February, 1971. Featuring 10 Bukowski poems :

here ( uncollected)
style (uncollected. . different from the published one)
ah ( uncollected)
ROLLED AGAIN ( uncollected?)
YOU MIGHT AS WELL KISS YOUR ASS GOODBYE ( People Look Like Flowers At Last)
Songs of Death ( uncollected)
THE LAST DAYS OF THE SUICIDE KID ( Mockingbird. . )
ZOO ( Burning in water. . .)
5 MEN IN BLACK PASSING MY WINDOW ( Mockingbird. . )
the bums at Phillipe's ( uncollected)

"Invisible City" went on to publish many more Bukowski poems in issues # 2, 3, 4, 7, 8. ( 1971-73).
An underrated tabloid that --in my opinion--published some of Buk's finest early 70s poems that ended up in books and on recordings. I will try to list # 2 tomorrow ( 5 Buk poems)

image (1).jpg

(here).jpg

(style).jpg

(ah).jpg

(kiss your ass).jpg

(songs).jpg

(suicide).jpg

(zoo).jpg

(5 men).jpg

Thank you Days, you're contributions get better all the time.
Ten poems, man! 8-)) That's more than some new Ecco books will hold.

It's collected (and desecrated?) in What Matters Most... and The Pleasures of the Damned (as Phillipe's 1950).

ah ( uncollected)
Collected in The People Look Like Flowers at Last, with the usual petty changes ("that" to "this" and the likes, "green ear rings and revolutionary distances" replaced with "a safe distance" - it's important to be safe...)

Last edited:
Great stuff. These ten poems are better than what most writers are able to create along their whole lives.
ZOO in Burning in Water is a different poem.

Last edited:
ah ( uncollected)
Ah is in The People Look Like Flowers At Last.
ROLLED AGAIN ( uncollected?)
Rolled Again is in Back to the Machinegun volume 1, but uncollected in any official books.
That's in What Matters Most Is How Well You Walk Through The Fire, retitled, "Phillipe's 1950." And the name of the place is misspelled in both. The name is "Philippe The Original," but everyone calls it Philippe's.

And if you're ever in Los Angeles you have to go there. Breakfast is great (even if the coffee isn't a nickel anymore, though it was all the way up into the 90s), but what they're really known for is being the place where the French dip originated, and it's good. Carved to order. Be brave and add the hot mustard that is thoughtfully supplied at every table. The first time I saw Philippe's was when I walked past it one morning after being sprung from three days in the L.A. county jail (I didn't have any money to go in and eat, but I really wanted to). But that's another story.

And as @Andreas pointed out, Zoo is a different poem, uncollected.

The name is "Philippe The Original," but everyone calls it Philippe's.
And if you're ever in Los Angeles you have to go there. Breakfast is great (even if the coffee isn't a nickel anymore, though it was all the way up into the 90s), but what they're really known for is being the place where the French dip originated, and it's good.
So the place still exists. That's nice.

It's been open for 107 years.

I think some of the people who work there have been there the entire time. But I love everything about that place.

It's been open for 107 years.
I think some of the people who work there have been there the entire time.
You made me visit Philippe's website. Nice place, really. Old photographs on the walls. And coffee for 45 cents!
Sadly, the place is about 5560 miles away from where I live, so just dropping in for a second is impossible.

Last edited:
the place is about 5560 miles away from where I live, so just dropping in for a second is impossible.
Impossible? Or are you just afraid you might love it and want to stay?
How far from Disneyland? (Um, asking for a friend)
Well, it's downtown Los Angeles, so it's probably 25 miles from Disneyland.

When is your friend going to be there? Maybe we'll take a drive down to Anaheim. You know, if they can't make it up to Philippe's.

I think he'll take his ass hunched up around his shoulders there sometime in September...but not exactly sure when.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back