• If you start a thread here you have permission to edit the thread and your posts indefinitely. So if the status of your sale or auction changes, please come back and update the thread.

IT CATCHES with letter to Webbs (1 Viewer)

Rekrab

Usually wrong.
Bukowski's first Loujon Press book, IT CATCHES MY HEART IN ITS HANDS, apparently with a 1964 letter to Jon and Gypsy Lou Webb. Odd that there is no mention of the letter, nor any description of the book's condition. And the signature photo is posted upside down. That makes me wonder if the photo of the letter even belongs in this listing. $850 for the pair seems like a good deal.

See I saw the letter in the photo... but since it wasn't mentioned, I thought it was a facsimile or some similar thing...

I think that it should not be shown. I bet that it is a mistake. $850 for the book is overpriced (one sold on ebay last week for $600 in PERFECT condition), but if the letter is included, then it is WAY underpriced.

Bill

The letter - if it is part of the deal - is nice and early, but kind of trivial compared to some of the multi-page ramblers he fired off to them in those days. Though the way things have been going it's still probably worth a grand. So yeah, I'm with Bill, I think that's just there to - well, I don't know why. But I doubt it's part of the auction.

I have a similar letter to the Webbs, also from 1964, where he asks them to send him a copy of "Something for the touts..." because he doesn't remember the poem. It's short, not quite as short as the one pictured in the auction, but I kept it because I thought it was funny that he didn't remember writing a poem that would wind up being collected in four or five different anthologies over the years.

Here's a bigger image of the letter in the auction.

I also got the same sort of response as marina del rey. Begs the question as to why it's part of the listing. Shame. It appears to be a nice copy, but as Bill notes, another in fine shape sold for ~$600 recently.

I also got the same sort of response as marina del rey. Begs the question as to why it's part of the listing.

Indeed it does! The poor sucker who buys the book is in for a big surprise when he gets the book and discover there's no letter.
It's a bit dishonest to post a letter together with the book when it's not included in the deal, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
breezyboy seemed like an honest person in the dealings that I have had with him over the last decade or so. If it is dishonest, it may be unintentional on his part. Yes, the letter photo should be removed.

Bill

Bill; yes, it doesn't really seem disingenuous, but really, why is the damn letter even there?

Especially after Marina Del Rey and I both asked about it. One would think that the seller would get the message.

Edit: I just sent the seller a message stating that "One would think that you'd remove the photo of the letter since it is not part of the auction."

Let's see.

Hi,
Maybe ask him to remove the image of the letter? Like I said, I know the guy and cannot imagine that he would intentionally deceive someone. Still, including the image of the letter seems to make people think that maybe he has included it, but forgot to mention it. That could make someone think that they are getting a better deal than they are...

He really should remove the image of the letter or risk having a very unhappy customer.

Bill

Yes, indeed he should remove the letter. Perhaps he's not trying to be dishonest, but it sure is misleading to post a letter that's not included in the auction. He should at least say it's not included and why he posted it.

I just realized its signed in May... I guess I'm waiting for my copy that's signed on May 13. I need a birthday piece somewhere in my collection!

And is it really that high priced? I know ABE is a bit pricey, but that's right around the cheapest price on there (or was about a month ago anyhow).

Not such a screaming deal after all.

Maybe I'll include a photo of a vacation home in my next eBay listing.

I think the recent copy that sold was cheap - BUT I recall it did have a fault in spine - bad bump with slight tear. 6 months ago you could not find a copy of this book under $1,000. Now multiple copies have appeared under that mark. I think some people are hurting and these are really good deals.

I know the buyer of the $600 copy and it arrived with a MINUTE MINUTE tear on the DJ and otherwise the book was PERFECT. Probably one of the finest copies to show up in a while. And it sold for $600.

I bought mine from PBA for about $400 and mine is very, very nice.

Bill

It looks like it did'nt sell for $850. Let's see if it'll be re-listed for less...

Just make sure that flap to the right is OK before buying. They say that this is VERY GOOD Condition, but VERY GOOD to a bookseller can mean REALLY REALLY SHITTY. I would want to see more pics of this book before dropping $700 on it. I am not bidding on it, I'm just trying to keep it real for the peeps on the forum....

Bill

I'd like to find a ratty but repairable copy for under $100, which may be possible if I look long enough in the right places.

Just make sure that flap to the right is OK before buying. They say that this is VERY GOOD Condition, but VERY GOOD to a bookseller can mean REALLY REALLY SHITTY. I would want to see more pics of this book before dropping $700 on it.
That's right! "Very Good" usually means a well-used copy, often with some (minor) flaws. I too would want to see some more pics before buying, although the seller says the only flaw is some "trace foxing to the top edge".

The other copy which has been re-listed at $500 (starting bid) does'nt even have a description of the condition! In this case I would like to see some more pics too, and a description of the condition, before buying. Just to be on the safe side.

After a brief e-mail exchange, the seller indicated to me that he became sick and disabled a few years back and that he had been selling on ebay back then (just before his problems). Apparently, the listing/photos were from back then, and he didn't check the listing this time, so the photo of the letter was a mistake.

He sounded genuine, so I'd be inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Bill's description of his dealings would support this.

Anyway, he did indicate that he was a collector of Buk letters and he plans to put these up on ebay in the near future.

So it was an honest mistake. That's good. It'll be interesting to see his Buk letters...

I had not seen him on ebay in a while, so it is sad to hear that he has had health problems. He and I did some business back in the day..

Bill

Right! And this time without any pics at all!

There's also a "Buy It Now" copy for $700, from Webstersbooks. The price has also been reduced here from a higher amount:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...IA&itu=UCI%2BIA%2BUA%2BFICS%2BUFI&otn=4&ps=10
I'd never buy a copy if I'm not 100% certain the copy is in "fine" condition.

Oh- and this copy-> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...t=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&item=180375993011
is not numbered. Are they numbered??

I know the buyer of the $600 copy and it arrived with a MINUTE MINUTE tear on the DJ and otherwise the book was PERFECT. Probably one of the finest copies to show up in a while. And it sold for $600.

I bought mine from PBA for about $400 and mine is very, very nice.

I stand corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back