john fante signature (2 Viewers)

Four Steps can be had for under $10 in paperback through Abe. The 1948 1st HB from Dial is much more expensive, but the paperback is very affordable...

Bill

One of these sold on eBay not long ago, for about $80 I think.

Yeah i've attempted to buy the last few bantam ask the dusts that have come up on ebay! They always stay low til the last 30 seconds...

It's incredible that some of you guys can email John martin and have him respond the same day!

another reason i asked if any one knew of a link between alphamalestore, alphadogma , and barts books is because i have a feeling all 3 of their origins is ojai, california.. i could be wrong.
i'm not too sure how to scan in the photo's but i'm very confident the books i bought were legit, from alphamale..

P.S. The first edition of Ask The Dust at the PBA auction sold yesterday for $3,737. Pretty good for a jacket that's in a far cry from fine condition.

Hmmmm...I wonder if my John Fante "Dago Red" from 1940 is a first edition....and if the book, even if it has no jacket at all, will make it possible for me to retire...? I don't think so but if I post some pix here maybe someone can tell if it's a first edition. I can't find any info on how and where I bought it...

DagoRed2.jpg DagoRed3.jpg DagoRedfront.jpg

Hmmmm...I wonder if my John Fante "Dago Red" from 1940 is a first edition....and if the book, even if it has no jacket at all, will make it possible for me to retire...? I don't think so but if I post some pix here maybe someone can tell if it's a first edition. I can't find any info on how and where I bought it...
nice cover - the illustration reminded me a little of those woodcuts in apollinaire's collection alcools.

beats my 80's paperback covers, needless to say!

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that they only did one print run of dago red before they took it off the shelf.

HankD: you lucky bastard, having a copy of DAGO RED. I love that title. It was changed in the modern reissue to THE WINE OF YOUTH, I think. I'd look it up but I'm struggling here with an old computer and a slow dialup connection. I wonder if the title change was done for political correctness, "Dago" being unacceptable these days? THE WINE OF YOUTH sounds like the name of a handbook for young ministers. Was that Fante's choice for a new title, or did Martin come up with it? Either way, it's not as strong as DAGO RED. Was there a vintage paperback of DAGO RED? Seems I recall hearing about a copy a friend had 25 years ago.

David, I found my copy of the book you mentioned earlier:
Jon Edgar Webb's Four Steps To The Wall, here is a scan
of the cover, this is the 1948 Dial HB.

WebbFourStepsToThe Wall.jpg

I actually haven't read it, maybe I should?
I'll scan the author photo as well, he looks great, Webb.
---Hank

WebbFourStepsToThe Wall_photo.jpg

Henry: nice. Thanks for the images. I've never seen the hardcover dust jacket. I remember the vintage paperback has a cool cover showing a convict in front of a prison wall. I don't think I ever got around to reading the copy I once had, or if I did, I only read part of it. Has anyone here read the book?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back