John Martin - Wiki (1 Viewer)

Really, is that all there is to say about someone who was, perhaps, the person Buk respected the most?

Come on.

I know Wiki publishing rights have recently been rescinded, but JM deserves more than this.

Is this fucking it?

Wikipedia is a joke. John Martin is known more than a webpage would provide. I think that setting up a webpage woud not be a bad idea, but think that he can get no better exposure than the books that he edited and published...

Bil

Apparently not just anyone can write up on a topic on Wikipedea, anymore, due to intentional misrepresentation. You have to be a chosen Wiki-Dude, or similar.

Good! If this is true, it will be the beginning of the end for Wikipedia. Nothing better than petty, power hungry people (people that think that they have power) with nothing better to do than update entries, especially when they don't know everything about everything.

Expect the Bukowski entry to soon read:

Charles H. Bukowski was the writer of the movie's (sic) Barfly and Factotum. He came from nowhere in 1987 with his first hollywood script that was co-written by Mickey Rourke. After Barfly was a critical success, but a commercial failure, "Chuckie" as he was known to his friends, quit writing all together, having only been a writer for a few years.

Bill

Expect the Bukowski (Wikipedia) entry to soon read:

Charles H. Bukowski was the writer of the movie's (sic) Barfly and Factotum. He came from nowhere in 1987 with his first hollywood script that was co-written by Mickey Rourke. After Barfly was a critical success, but a commercial failure, "Chuckie" as he was known to his friends, quit writing all together, having only been a writer for a few years.

Good one Bill.

Apparently not just anyone can write up on a topic on Wikipedea, anymore, due to intentional misrepresentation. You have to be a chosen Wiki-Dude, or similar.
That's not the case. You might be thinking of some controversial articles that are commonly vandalized - they lock some of them down. But anyone can create or edit at wikipedia. That will never change because that's what a wiki is. The day they close it to everyone, it will die.

So yeah, hurry up and close it to everyone. Die already, piece of shit.

In this case it is a matter of no one taking the ball and running. MY hatred of Wikipedia is that an article that I was involved in creating was flagged by one of their wiki-douches as he felt that the group was not significant enough based on HIS understanding. Of course, this is the same guy that creates and nourishes articles about obscure magicians that ony a handful of people know about.

It (Wikipedia) allows people that are considered their "Editors" to push thier agendas making the whole idea of an encyclopaedia laughable as it is changed based on what the editor wants it to say. The higher up the ladder they go, the more chance that their viewpoint will stay.

Bill

The day they close it to everyone, it will die.

(snip)

So yeah, hurry up and close it to everyone. Die already, piece of shit.

it will linger like a blind old grandparent on a colostomy bag forever, and no matter how much wishing for it to die everyone does, it just won't.

Luckily, though anyone can contribute, it is still actually run by a small group and the group constantly needs money, and people are fickle, so I hold out hope for eventual wikipedia's demise. Many huge internet sites have bit the dust, and wikipedia would look nice on that list.

Wikipedia is bullshit. I know a film producer who kept trying to update an article on an author who she had just made a small bio pic of (not yet released.) The Wiki gurus WHO KNOW DIDDLY ABOUT THIS AUTHOR kept deleting the material she had added, which included, among other things, an innocent link to her film site (not hype about it). I've heard a bunch of stories like that. Geeks who think they are the ultimate judge on every subject. Hope it dies soon.

Really, is that all there is to say about someone who was, perhaps, the person Buk respected the most?

Did Bukowski really respect Martin that much? He needed him, sure, but did he think that highly of him as a person? I'm not doubting it, just wondering. As a business man, sure, but beyond that?

The relationship between Bukowski and Martin would make an interesting book. A collection or analysis of their correspondence. You can see in many of Bukowski's letters that he tiptoed around Martin most of the time, when not kissing his ass outright. I don't know if Martin needed that or Bukowski was just insecure, but their relationship was unlike any other relationship in his life.

He knew which side his bread was buttered on, and he was thankful for Black Sparrow, but you could tell that he often bit his tongue when he would have let anyone else have it. After he started seeing more income from non-Black Sparrow royalties did you see him question Martin more frequently. Even then, though, it was mild compared to how he could be with others.

He was usually polite to the Webb's (and other publishers too) in letters to them, even when he was angry or frustrated with them. But he complained about them to others, which he didn't do very often where Martin was concerned.

This is just a top-of-the-head read based on what I remember from letters. But a collection of all their correspondence would be very interesting to read. And probably disprove everything I just typed, who knows.

In a few unpublished letters addressed to friends -Winans?- B. did put Martin down. And he complained to Martin in their correspondence, though in mild terms. But you have a very valid point there: B. never had VERY harsh words for those ones -the Webbs, Martin, Weissner, etc- he felt would be or might be a good source of income.

in 'Living on Luck', p.260 (letter to Locklin, March 15, 1979) he's complaining A LOT about Martins reworking 'Women'.
("Shit, man. I guess he thinks I can't write. [...] it goes on and on." etc)

in 'Living on Luck', p.259 (letter to Weissner, January 2, 1979) he complains about the same issue. He even offers Weissner some of the chapters, that Martin had thrown out. And in fact, the German edition is based on Buks older manuscript than that was published at BSP.

And in fact, the German edition is based on Buks older manuscript than that was published at BSP.

That's interesting, Roni! What are the differences between the English edition and the German? Extra chapters maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back