Just again found Buk and this forum (1 Viewer)

Well, after my month or so of eavesdropping I'm finally introducing myself. Not often I jump into the computer conversations (Dostoyevsky forum is fun to read every now and again, as was Henry Miller Library forum), but gotta say you guys keep it interesting for the most part, so really "my introduction" was induced more by wanting to say thank you than anything else.

I'm one of the lucky ones...found Buk on my own, without any "hipster or wanna-be" telling me how cool he is. Was living what I thought was the writers life (failed miserably) down south in small cities in Alabama, Lousiana, Texas, and North Carolina (If you're gonna be poor - self imposed or not - down south really ain't a bad place to do it). By and by got sick of it (being poor) so I decided to become good at something. Never stopped reading of course, but did stop believeing in..... literature... (vague statement, I know).

Anyway, life has found me in Barcelona doing the thing I supposedly became good at: baking bread, and man, I gotta tell you, ain't no joke over here. I'm working my fingers to the bone.

About a month or so ago a freind gives me a parallel text of Bukowski's to help me with my castellano: lo mas importante es saber atravesar el fuego/ what matters most is how well you walk through the fire.

Just gave my boss a two month notice on my job.

I'm too old to infer that Bukowsi (or any other poet) would make me quit anything, but hell if I'm gonna go to work 6 nights a week at the same time this city wakes up.

....It's 8 am and I've just had 3 Voll Damm's (that's english for 5.9%)....

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome aboard!

someone once told me if you experience self-doubt and spring back, that it was probably necessary. doubt aids development.

luck!

Welcome Jerzy...

sounds like you've been walking through fire for awhile, starting at about 3 am every morning, eh? lol maybe you didn't stop believing in literature afterall, just an interlude where you learned a fine skill...so whattya gonna do now? The forum's interesting but it doesn't pay enough ;-)

Good luck with whatever...

What's this Bobby D? The forum doesn't pay? And here I thought my computer would start spitting out coins with every lousy word I wrote....
What am I gonna do?
Stay home and bake bread of course....
But first I'm gonna read (once again) Ducasse's Maldoror...

I like what you said, onlygoodpoet. Not so much in reference to myself, but being young with self doubt AND empathy I believe makes for a much better foundation than starting things off like a cocky (even if deservedly so) bat out of hell.... This of course is a generalization. Some fiery comets can't and shouldn't be denied, neither by others nor themselves....

hey, Jerzy. I lived in Barcelona -El Born- during 5 years and then I moved to the countryside -actually, to the Costa Brava.

Guess what? I also bake my own bread. In fact, I never buy bread, just bake my own organic whole wheat bread or whole spelt bread -by the way, organic whole spelt bread is IMPOSSIBLE to find in Barcelona. They always mix wheat with spelt to make it more... I don't know, more "marketeable", if you know what I mean. I even bought an old KitchenAid to make things easier...

anyway, welcome aboard!

Hey Cirerita. I've been to Costa Brava ... Lloret de Mar actually... I went on a five day drunk there and don't recall all that much ;-) some women, Americans and Brits.

Seems like we spent a lot of time drinking litres of Coke in the morning, bottles of San Miguel in the afternoons, cuba libras at night and smoking Bisonte cigarettes that tasted like Bisonte shit, lol. I know for sure we didn't bake any bread :-)

Anyway that was back in the day, 1977...sorry Jerzy, didn't me to divert the welcome wagon ;) ...

BD

Cirerita,
(at the risk of boring the pants off this entire forum)
Barcelona's bread in general is of a lower quality than I was expecting. This especially surprises me because the food here is so damn out of this world. It seems like all those wet doughs using pre-fermented starters and long fermentation after the mix seems to be lacking. And don't even get me started on scaling the dough into pieces right after the mix....
Alas, I'll be looking forward to not doing any baking whatsoever. I've made some pizza and empanadas at home but thats about it. I'm sure you could give me advice on the home baking thing, as it brings with it a whole different set of problems, variables, and a new kind of manipulation of time and temperature.

Well, that's that. I can almost wholeheartedly promise to all of you that I'll never speak of bread again....

By the way, I get the feeling most everyone here is professionally involved in The Game in some shape or form. What jobs do ya'all hold: writers, editor, journalists, bookmakers, fine artists.....? (all of which about a thousand times more interesting than dough)

Cirerita, El Born seems like a fantastic place to live. Rarely can I imagine myself living in a place before I'm living there, but think I could definetly deal with that barrio. Currently I'm in Poble Sec and working in Gracia.

Hey Jerzy!!

I'm a City Planner for the City of Phoenix, Arizona ... how's that for a contradiction in terms... (I've been other things along the way though, just not for so long...), pays better than the other jobs too, way better ;)

BD

Cirerita,
(at the risk of boring the pants off this entire forum)
Barcelona's bread in general is of a lower quality than I was expecting. This especially surprises me because the food here is so damn out of this world. It seems like all those wet doughs using pre-fermented starters and long fermentation after the mix seems to be lacking. And don't even get me started on scaling the dough into pieces right after the mix....
Alas, I'll be looking forward to not doing any baking whatsoever. I've made some pizza and empanadas at home but thats about it. I'm sure you could give me advice on the home baking thing, as it brings with it a whole different set of problems, variables, and a new kind of manipulation of time and temperature.

Well, that's that. I can almost wholeheartedly promise to all of you that I'll never speak of bread again....

By the way, I get the feeling most everyone here is professionally involved in The Game in some shape or form. What jobs do ya'all hold: writers, editor, journalists, bookmakers, fine artists.....? (all of which about a thousand times more interesting than dough)

Cirerita, El Born seems like a fantastic place to live. Rarely can I imagine myself living in a place before I'm living there, but think I could definetly deal with that barrio. Currently I'm in Poble Sec and working in Gracia.

Hey Jerzy! I love some good bread. I'm fishing in the North Atlantic Ocean with setoff on the Faroe Islands. Just went on my first two trips and I can promise u that's hard work too..just got hold on two Bukowsky books and I don't wanna go back to work. Anyway welcome. I'm new to this forum as well but I'm here alot as it keeps me excellent company on this lonely island.

I'm a City Planner for the City of Phoenix, Arizona ... how's that for a contradiction in terms... (I've been other things along the way though, just not for so long...), pays better than the other jobs too, way better;)

city planners make way too much
(for what should be a volunteer position
or 'something i do when i'm not WORKING')
:cool:

Skarving,
Your in a class by yourself with that gig for sure.
I lived in coastal Maine for a few years. Did some afternoon drinkning with a few lobstawmen. Especially enjoyed the stories of how justice meted itself out all quick like amongst what seemed to be a group of people who understood the rules of their own particular game. Knew one guy- malnourished looking always with cash and always spending - who was so keen on telling me these stories of justifiable revenge against those who either set their traps in the wrong place or fucked with other fisherman's traps, that I decided in my own twisted head that he must have somewhere along the line been indirectly involved in murder. Oh Well.
I'm sure you got better stories than myself.
Any stories.....

Hey thanks for the reply. You're so right in this observation. I should beleive that u've been around these parts. really this is a place of endless gossip and slander. And yes theres a lot of fighting up here. Even when it's not needed. First time I was out someone wanted to beat me up. Not knowing that I'm a black belt karate and a bokser for tree years. hehe. Don't like violence really but dislike hillbillys even more. I might be going out on the sea for two months and I should make a good twenty thousind dollars if I get it. My plan is to buy a big boat to live in in Copenhagen. A socalled housbout. By the way anyone from this side would be welcome anytime when wisiting Copenhagen.
Now I have a four days wacation getting ever so drunk. Merry Xmas to all who reeds this. Take care Jerzy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back