Just got a card from "Gypsy Lou" Webb! (1 Viewer)

This is so cool I still can't believe it! In the last issue of Chiron Review, I reviewed a book and DVD about Loujon Press and New Orleans in that era. In the video, Lou Webb -- now well into her 90s but as spry and sharp as ever -- really lights up the screen every time she appears, and I mentioned that in my review.

Well, today I went to my mailbox and Lou Webb had gotten hold of two copies of the magazine and sent a card to Chiron Review to thank me. It got rerouted and over a month later, I finally got it! It is amazing to get something like this from a living legend.

Just wanted to share my excitement ... thanks for listening.

Harry

P.S. I know I'm like the boy who cried wolf, but I swear one day soon I'll get that scanner working ...

Okay Barney!

That's cool as hell. I think some of the people on this forum are living legends.

Wow, that's great, Harry! You're a lucky guy! - That was a nice gesture from Gypsy Lou.
What did she write?

Last edited by a moderator:
did she sign it "Love, Gypsy Lou"?
Hi Bill, actually, she signed it "With love -- Lou" ... here's a scan of the note. Wayne Ewing, whom Lou refers to in the note, is the man responsible for the DVD The Outsiders of New Orleans: Loujon Press.

Wow, that's great, Harry! You're a lucky guy! - That was a nice gesture from Gypsy Lou.
What did she write?
See the scan [below] ... very nice. I'm writing her a reply to send out tomorrow.

Lou_Webb_card_2.jpg

I can't make out most of the note. :( - Could someone please type it out?

I can't make out most of the note. :( - Could someone please type it out?
That someone would be me. :) It says,

Dear Mr. Calhoun -- Thank you for nice writeup in Chiron Review magazine -- Wayne Ewing sent me 2 copies -- thanks -- I never would have known about review if Wayne hadn't sent them as far as I know there aren't any bookstores, etc. around here -- With love -- Lou

The card was sent from what I presume to be her home address in Slidell, Louisiana, which is about a half-hour outside of New Orleans.

Sorry about the scan quality ... it was my first and I had some trouble getting the size down under the limit and still retaining legibility.

That someone would be me. :) It says,

Dear Mr. Calhoun -- Thank you for nice writeup in Chiron Review magazine -- Wayne Ewing sent me 2 copies -- thanks -- I never would have known about review if Wayne hadn't sent them as far as I know there aren't any bookstores, etc. around here -- With love -- Lou

The card was sent from what I presume to be her home address in Slidell, Louisiana, which is about a half-hour outside of New Orleans.

Sorry about the scan quality ... it was my first and I had some trouble getting the size down under the limit and still retaining legibility.

Thanks a lot, Harry! It was very nice of her to send you a card!

I live 45 minutes from Slidell. The town was pretty torn-up during Katrina. Some time ago I was searching for her name in the Mississippi Gulf Coast phone book, thinking she might have moved somewhere here. I am glad she's still with us ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back