Just got here...Bukowski Lives! (1 Viewer)

Greetings everyone, my first post...

Everybody's go their story, here's mine: A few years ago I ran across "The Days Run Away..." on a library cart to be re-shelved. "Nice title", I thought...but when I opened the book it was loaded with hand-written comments in the margins of many of the poems..."Fuck Bukowski", "Bukowski Lives!", and so on... first book I'd ever seen where the readers felt compelled to make comments in the margins. Sort of an old school version of a discussion forum, eh...without reading a word I hooked...

I then turned the page to 'spring swan' and death ran down my throat like a mouse...so it goes...

Glad to be here... BD

very similar experience. after a few months I appreciate that his work
frees me from cult of the boring poem which dominates the scene from
the college reviews to the little magazines to the poetry forums or
wherevever three without talent or sense gather to read to each other
or buy each others crap....enjoyed your message...

Thanks for the welcome words...

My throat's good, but my spelling's something else...I don't understand it either, I use all 4 fingers to type (I guess two of my fingers are technically 'thumbs', but...):

"ASKED WHAT LOVE IS , some reply: it is only a wind whispering among the roses and dying away. But often it is an inviolable seal that endures for life, endures till death..."

Knut Hamsun, Victoria

Greetings everyone, my first post...
[...]the book it was loaded with hand-written comments in the margins of many of the poems..."Fuck Bukowski", "Bukowski Lives!", and so on... first book I'd ever seen where the readers felt compelled to make comments in the margins.
Interesting story this. Says a lot in few words about the special quality of Buk's pomes... You started out in a good way B.

Did you see those guys? Christ, yes, they made me sick!!!
:-)

Glad I'm not the new guy anymore...some other drunk has stepped right in, it's a hell of a Vienna!!! Keep breathing Buk...

BD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back